Jzilla's FJ60 to BJ60 conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Head gasket on block. Notice the fuel-line on the firewall (had it powder coated). For those of you that are very observant you will notice that I painted the scratches that were on the firewall (they occurred when engine was lowered in :bang:).
20150531_161047.jpg

Last edited:
Injector painted and ready for install.
20150529_193751.jpg

Manifolds on cylinder head. Powder coated leakage pipe and engine hoist bracket. Ceramic coated coolant pipe nipple and leakage pipe nuts. Notice the brass fitting on exhaust side for the Isspro water temp sensor. Painted engine hoist bracket bolts.
20150526_134252.jpg
20150531_155719.jpg

I'm a little late to the festivities. I just got your text message tonight. The head looked great for 200k worth of turbo.

Your thread always makes me feel lazy. I've done nothing but drive mine for the last 3 months.

That exhaust gasket looks way different than mine. Is it the 13bt gasket?

Keep the posts coming, excellent work

No worries! I still have more to post so keep checking back.
Yeah that is the 13bt exhaust manifold gasket. The other style is what I used up until now, this is my first time using the 13bt one.
Went on a nice road trip through Southern Alberta after I got everything back together, was really nice!
Thanks for the compliment :).

Had the thermostat housing and water outlet powder coated. This picture is after they were redone, I was not happy with how they turned out the first time. There was some kind of offgasing from the aluminum the first time. The owner said no guarantee with how they would turn out if he did it again but it would be free. They turned out much better the second time around.
DSC_0288.JPG

Cleaning up some bolts with a water/vinegar mix. Knocked off the old captive lock washers (it was not doing anything anyways) and put stainless flat washers underneath. Those are the bolts that hold the fuel filter assembly to the intake manifold.
20150605_113305.jpg

Painting of above bolts and others.
20150609_163455.jpg

Venturi sandblasted and clear coated. New gasket ready for install. Glow plug bar cleaned and painted.
20150609_163419.jpg

I like the bolt clean up. I'm gonnatry that out. I'm putting my 60 back together and got sick of wire brushing everything so I gave up. Soakin them seems much more cool. What mix did you use? Your a way more patient guy than I am. Nice work.
g

I like the bolt clean up. I'm gonnatry that out. I'm putting my 60 back together and got sick of wire brushing everything so I gave up. Soakin them seems much more cool. What mix did you use? Your a way more patient guy than I am. Nice work.
g

Thanks! I guess I am what you would call a bit particular? :). Time is always the hard thing to find though...the job took 8 weeks because I was only able to work on things for a few hours at a time. It helps to have a spare beater car too...

Yeah a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar works fine, I tried straight vinegar... not sure it made that much difference.
The key is to let things soak for 2 days or more. Put bolts in a flat tray so then you only need a half inch of vinegar or so. I just used a yogurt container, the bolts were short enough that I could lay them horizontal. When you pick them out they will look like they still have rust on them, but then just a wipe or wire wheel and they are good as new.
Definitely wire wheel them quickly before you put them in the vinegar or wire brush them, I did not do that at first, probably would have helped speed things up as there would have been less crap for the vinegar to go through. On some of mine I pulled them out of the mixture, cleaned them and then put them back for another day or two.

I would check them every few hours sometimes just to see what was happening :popcorn:.

Bullet tumblers work amazingly well for old bolts.
I want to refresh a bunch of bolts, mine are all sorts of colors from three trucks. White brown and red.

I don't think most would notice nice bolts, but it's the little things that count

Bullet tumblers work amazingly well for old bolts.
I want to refresh a bunch of bolts, mine are all sorts of colors from three trucks. White brown and red.

I don't think most would notice nice bolts, but it's the little things that count

Yep! And...some are obsolete too so you can't order new.
Good idea on the tumbler, too bad...I know someone that got rid of their tumbler and I could have had it.

Hey so I tried that cleaning the bolts thing. I soaked them in diesel for a few hours in a sealed can and shook them every half hour or so just to loosen the oiled chunks.they were really dirty. I then emptied the can and let the diesel run off of the bolts.Then I did a degrease soak in zep industrial purple 50/50 with water for a few hours to take the rest of the oils off and shook them every so often for a few hours.them I did the 50/50 water vinegar trick for 24 hours and shook them when I walked by. I did all of this as I was working in the garage on my trucks carpet. Well I just emptied them and ran the hose on it for a few seconds and I'm pretty amazed. They are totally clean. The carpet turned out great too.
Here are the bolts
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here is the new carpet. Was a test. Ill do the whole truck like this I think.
image.jpg
g

Hey so I tried that cleaning the bolts thing. I soaked them in diesel for a few hours in a sealed can and shook them every half hour or so just to loosen the oiled chunks.they were really dirty. I then emptied the can and let the diesel run off of the bolts.Then I did a degrease soak in zep industrial purple 50/50 with water for a few hours to take the rest of the oils off and shook them every so often for a few hours.them I did the 50/50 water vinegar trick for 24 hours and shook them when I walked by. I did all of this as I was working in the garage on my trucks carpet. Well I just emptied them and ran the hose on it for a few seconds and I'm pretty amazed. They are totally clean. The carpet turned out great too.
Here are the bolts
View attachment 1126440
View attachment 1126438
Here is the new carpet. Was a test. Ill do the whole truck like this I think.
View attachment 1126439
g

Hey great job!
That rubber mat looks great too, how did you get it to conform to the hump in the floor? Heat gun? Did you bolt it under the tranny and transfer shifter boot plates? It looks really smooth.
I used the same stuff for behind the rear seat and the rear cargo area, will have to take some pictures one day.

Couple more pictures before the cylinder head is installed. Coolant passage seems pretty clean after 200,000 kms.
Also shown are pictures of a powder coated fuel line and leakage pipe with a pack of new washers that go between it and the injectors.
20150601_200234.jpg
20150601_200243.jpg

20150529_194402.jpg
20150531_153336.jpg

I cheated and did the hump as one piece, then cut a second piecs to slip under the hump and make the drivers floor. It's pretty easy to work with, but not so easy as to do it all in one piece. The cool thing is even up close you have a hard time seeing the seam. I think it's a floor mat for a garage. I got a 3x5 piece for 20$ from Home Depot.

Here is the cylinder head sitting on the block.

In the second picture you can see that there are three brackets I fabricated in order to hold the steel coolant pipe. When removing the rear heater coolant piping you lose some of the support. I left the front engine lift bracket off the cylinder head and used those two holes for the front support bracket. The other two support brackets use pre-existing holes in the exhaust manifold.
Prior to this job I only had one bracket that I made previously and reinforcing was always on my mind :).
DSC_0291.JPG
20150613_160432.jpg

Pyrometer probe installed. Turbo installed. You can see that I installed new injector hold down clamps. I put stainless washers under those two bolts as well as under the fuel filter mount bolts and water outlet bolts.
20150613_161147.jpg
20150613_173346.jpg

Last edited:
All complete. Filter support, alternator stay and coolant pipe were all powder coated. I just wire brushed the fuel filter housing (did not have time to do anything else, turned out pretty good though).
20150715_201300.jpg
20150715_201325.jpg
20150715_201400.jpg

2000 km road trip a week later through Southern Alberta with brand new BFG all terrains 31x10.5 r15. After running with 33 inch tires for about 12 years I decided to make the switch. Glad I did. :) More updates to follow.
DSC_0365.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom