3f engine height in FJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Billyfj7312ht

Should only take ten minutes
Threads
I was hoping someone would be good enough to give me the height of a 3f engine in an FJ73.
I have removed mine along with the chasis/engine mounts and installing a 12HT and if possible would like to have a similar height.
When the gearbox is attached and connected to the gearbox mounts on the chassis there is still approx. 50mm adjustment at the front of the engine.
The only other option is to dig through all my parts and assemble the front headlight mounts, radiator shroud etc but thought I would try this first.

The below photo is of my 12HT not the 3f but I do not have a good photo of the 3f

I need size A from top of chassis cross member to centre of fan.
B from centre of fan to top of engine over all.

Engine Ht.jpg

Thankyou in advance.

Can't measure it coz I ripped it out 10 years ago but I've still got a pic of the old 3F sitting in there if its any use to you

Picture 021.jpg

I have a FJ73 with 3F except mine is LHD. Not sure if that makes any difference. I can take measurements for you when I get home from work if you still need them.

I have a FJ73 with 3F except mine is LHD. Not sure if that makes any difference. I can take measurements for you when I get home from work if you still need them.

Yes please Texas! That would be great. I don't think there is any difference. :beer:

Well, I tried to take the measurements, but the fan shroud and hose is in the way. Hopefully I did it right.

IMG_0563s_zpsiuwpdobc.jpg

IMG_0562_zpsdirawikm.jpg

IMG_0561_zpsyawivgcy.jpg

Let me know if you want me to try a different way.

I am going to try again with a tape measure when I get home from work. It is hard to do with all that engine bits and pieces in the way.

Thanks for persevering Texas. I really appreciate your effort.

Billy, I did not forget to do this at all. Unfortunately my job had me going out to West Virginia at the last minute and I just got back to Texas. Not sure if you still need this measurement, but I plan to get a tape measure and do it for you tomorrow at the latest.

I am not sure how much longer I am going to keep this 3F engine in the truck too. While I really like the truck, I do not like the motor so far.

No worries mate, tomorrow would be great. The decision on height will not be made till mid next week any way.

I didn't mind the 3f performance but I plan on doing alot of miles and will probably dunk her in some river crossings so I thought diesel was the way to go.:beer:

A = 13.5 inches & B = 8 inches. It was too hard to take a pic with all the engine junk in the bay.

That was using a tape measure btw. :)

Thankyou Texas, all good........you just made my day. Using the first photos I guestimated at 14 inches.
It is sitting in the chassis now waiting for me to cut some cardboard. Hopefully I can cut the existing engine mounts down, but I will let my fabricator make that decision when he hopefully gets here Thurs-Friday.
Thankyou so much for your time.:clap:

Glad to help out. Can't wait to see your ride finished.

Why does it have to be the exact height of a 3F? If you used 2H engine mounts/brackets on the 12HT and welded them in the same position as a HJ75,you would have the same height that a 2H sits in a HJ75. I think they all give you about 40mm clearance from the highest point of the valve cover to the insulation.

Why does it have to be the exact height of a 3F? If you used 2H engine mounts/brackets on the 12HT and welded them in the same position as a HJ75,you would have the same height that a 2H sits in a HJ75. I think they all give you about 40mm clearance from the highest point of the valve cover to the insulation.

Thanks Rosco, the 3f height is only a guide because I can not find any threads on a 12HT in a FJ73. I never considered a 2H in a HJ75.(lack of knowledge) The 3f reference was to see if I could use my old radiator shroud etc, not that it is that important but it gives me piece of mind to know it is similar. As it happens when my 12HT is sitting comfortably on the gear box mounts it is only 15-20mm lower at the fan than the 3f but I think I will leave it there because it is also a higher engine. I am only concerned about it fitting under my bonnet now. It confirms that I will do a 2" body lift.

Now I shall check with someone who has a 2H in a HJ75 which should answer all my questions. I am hopefully modifying my chassis/engine mounts.... thanks for your input Rosco.

EDIT: If I can't would a 70 series with a 12HT in it like our mates over the ditch have done have a similar under bonnet height? I could check with @NZCruisers or maybe @sadam_husain and get some heights from them as well ?

It looks like Ozcruiser is going to help me out with his 2H in a HJ75 measurements. Hopefully it will be welded up and bolted in by end of next week so when it is done I shall post photos with heights and distances from gearbox mounts incase someone does similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom