Rust prevention (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having just moved to upstate New York, loads of adjustments. Looking at rust prevention on 4rnr. Seems to be two flavors annual oil based spray or factory type undercoating. Doing research or asking locals seems to be mostly opinion. I'm leaning towards the annual oil based as it sounds like it gets better coverage of all the little nooks and crannies plus. It's not like I don't have bits of surface rust here and there. Where the factory type undercoating will just cover surface rust for years to come.

Please guys throw up some advice or other options or opinions or general thoughts.

My truck gets a bath in 90W oil once every fall, then I baste it with Fluid Film as needed.

POR15 everything you can

Another vote for Fluid Film. I picked up their gun with the wands to get in all the cavities. I also keep a can in my truck to touch up here and there, or to hit the door hinges, latches etc.

POR15 everything you can

Over-priced snake oil. Didn't work for me. Came back off in sheets, despite all the prep in the instructions. Then the remaining stuff hardened up in the can in a few weeks. F that, never again.

Some people complain about the smell of Fluid Film, but I don't think it's that bad, and it goes away in a few days. I spray it up inside my doors & tailgate, inside the frame, every place I can reach.

I've had great luck with the POR 15 and never any flaking.... just did the 87 interior last week and dynamat. Interior installed last night.
Oil spraying is fine for those back east with all the salt, don't have that issue here.

Once the transmission is removed in the next few weeks I'll start painting the underside of the cab.

POR15-1.jpg

POR15-2.jpg

dynamat.jpg

I too have had good results with POR-15 and with RustBullet, but admittedly only on the outside of frames. Not practical for much else...

What about some sort of a sacrificial zinc anode? If you attached one to the frame some place out of sight it should help with corrosion or so I've heard.

I too have had good results with POR-15 and with RustBullet, but admittedly only on the outside of frames. Not practical for much else...

What about some sort of a sacrificial zinc anode? If you attached one to the frame some place out of sight it should help with corrosion or so I've heard.
I used rust bullet on rear of frame and spots on body. Now 8-7 yrs later it's rusting again through.

Do you guys apply your own 90w?? ( multi quote is having problems this morning using phone) the more information on the topic the better. Any special oil? Special spray gun??

This is good information!!

I Fluid Film once or twice a year. Really seems to get into places as it creeps. Just takes about 3 cans to get most everything I feel is necessary. Also keeps offroading dirt of really sticking.

just did the 87 interior last week and dynamat. Interior installed last night.

Wait till all that POR peels off and you lose all that $$$ Dynamat...

We heat up the 90W on an old camping stove, dump it into a metal bug sprayer, and spray it on. Straight 90W. We found used engine oil can sometimes attach the rubber bushings and seals, so we buy the cheapest 90W we can find, in a 5 gal pail. Park the truck over an old piece of plastic drop cloth and let it drip for a few days.

Good to know. Really cringe at the idea of my rig getting cancer. Do you still use the 90w even after the full restore?

Don't waste time w undercoatings or POR 15. They wont last too many central NY winters. you have to use an oil or wax based treatment and spray it on annually. I've used fluid film. It works good, but smells like a wet dog and swelled some of my window seals.

This stuff is way better: Rust Prevention Products - Applicator Systems - Carwell.com
I got the 1 qt applicator and bought a couple gallons of the CP-90. It has almost no smell. The design of the applicator shoots the stuff out in a fog. It gets into everywhere. and the wand is only like 1/4" in diameter, so you can stick it in all the holes in the frame and up into the body panel drain holes and douche the inner body panels without taking anything apart. It flows a lot better than fluid film since its thinner. Even though it's thin, it doesn't wash off easily. I builds up to a waxy film after a couple treatments.

If you don't feel like buying the applicator or doing it yourself, there are a few shops in NY that do it for you. I think its around $150-$200 a treatment. This place in Syracuse does it: Syracuse Auto Body Shop & Auto Body Repair at Rudy Schmid

Don't waste time w undercoatings or POR 15. They wont last too many central NY winters. you have to use an oil or wax based treatment and spray it on annually. I've used fluid film. It works good, but smells like a wet dog and swelled some of my window seals.

This stuff is way better: Rust Prevention Products - Applicator Systems - Carwell.com
I got the 1 qt applicator and bought a couple gallons of the CP-90. It has almost no smell. The design of the applicator shoots the stuff out in a fog. It gets into everywhere. and the wand is only like 1/4" in diameter, so you can stick it in all the holes in the frame and up into the body panel drain holes and douche the inner body panels without taking anything apart. It flows a lot better than fluid film since its thinner. Even though it's thin, it doesn't wash off easily. I builds up to a waxy film after a couple treatments.

If you don't feel like buying the applicator or doing it yourself, there are a few shops in NY that do it for you. I think its around $150-$200 a treatment. This place in Syracuse does it: Syracuse Auto Body Shop & Auto Body Repair at Rudy Schmid

Thanks for info. What did the gallons run cost wise? I have appointments for a similar product but 2 cars. Guessing it'll be much cheaper to DYI. Or I'll call monday.

Man you guys make me feel lucky to live in California

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom