Builds Black Betty 2 build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after selling my built FJ a few years ago and my fiancé needing a new vehicle we were both excited to get back into a Yota 4wd! We were looking for a 100 series for a while and just never found one close enough and in our price range. That is when we starting looking at the GX series. My friend Kevin from Southern Style Speed came to my shop the other day and I had not seen his rig since the long travel suspension and rear bumper... I fell in love!! I knew the GX was the platform I wanted to build my next rig with.

I wheeled the hell out of my FJ and I do not plan on doing that with the GX. Mild off roading and overlanding are my priorities. We are big into mountain biking, hiking and just getting out there so we need a vehicle to help us do just that.

I am a mechanic for my family's bodyshop and have a fetish for preventative maintenance, yes I said fetish my fiancé thinks it weird also haha... SO the beginning of this build will be slow as I will be investing most of my money in the things it needs to keep running strong. We bought this 2006 GX470 with 98k o the clock and the timing belt has not been done yet. This and the transmission are the only things I will be bringing it to the dealer for ( and the cracked dash which I hope they cover!) Next is flushing all fluids and greasing all driveline zerks, replacing and rebuilding a leaking cv axle and keeping it as a spare. After that I will start with sliders so I can take those stupid running boards off that my ole lady uses, and budbuilt skids. I plan on putting an ARB front bumper, iron man snorkel, adjustable radflo suspension, rear swingout bumper and a roof rack I have not decided on yet. Like I said though mods will be in the future so I can save up some money!
image.jpg

Last edited:
cracked dash is under a recall right now. Dealer should absolutely cover it.

Whoa, Black Betty (bam-ba-lam)!! ... sorry I couldn't get the song out of my head after i read the title ... so now you must also! ... Should we start a GX club in BR ? LOL ... :popcorn:excited to see the your build ... im sure your more qualified than i am to touch cars but if you need a hand give us a shout .... :wrench:

Whoa, Black Betty (bam-ba-lam)!! ... sorry I couldn't get the song out of my head after i read the title ... so now you must also! ... Should we start a GX club in BR ? LOL ... :popcorn:excited to see the your build ... im sure your more qualified than i am to touch cars but if you need a hand give us a shout .... :wrench:

haha I love that song and sing it all the time.... and hell yes we should start a BR GX club!!!

What I do lack in mechanical skills though is my welding and would love to have one of those hitches you made for yours. I just need to carry our bike rack so I think that would work perfect. I have money and :beer: haha;)

haha I love that song and sing it all the time.... and hell yes we should start a BR GX club!!!

What I do lack in mechanical skills though is my welding and would love to have one of those hitches you made for yours. I just need to carry our bike rack so I think that would work perfect. I have money and :beer: haha;)

Maybe the "Wood Grain Warriors"? ... club name is a work in progress

Well i tell you what ... I'll make you a hitch in exchange for an IOU ... PM or message me on FB your cell number

So today I replaced the rigged up positive pattern terminal with an OEM one, changed my spark plugs(OEM) and deleted the carbon filter in the intake box.
image.jpg
Next I was on my way home a giant rubber made box flew out of a guy's truck and hit me while going 60mph!!! Needless to say it damaged my bumper, cracked my radiator, scratched the grill, scratched the hood and gave me the red ass... And of course he drove off before I could get to him.
image.jpg

Last edited:
So today I replaced the rigged up positive pattern terminal with an OEM one, changed my spark plugs(OEM) and deleted the carbon filter in the intake box. View attachment 1127098Next I was on my way home a giant rubber made box flew out of a guy's truck and hit me while going 60mph!!! Needless to say it damaged my bumper, cracked my radiator, scratched the grill, scratched the hood and gave me the red ass... And of course he drove off before I could get to him. View attachment 1127105 View attachment 1127102

You've got to be kidding...
No license plate #?
Makes you want to buy a dashcam just for instances like this that seems to be happening more these days!

You've got to be kidding...
No license plate #?
Makes you want to buy a dashcam just for instances like this that seems to be happening more these days!
OH MAN! :( ... That sucks ... guess you need to ditch the factory bumper and order the off road one lol JK ... sorry to here that
Yeah it was really a bummer but I will probably be ordering a ARB :D

Where are you going to get your ARB from? I am considering going the same route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom