Builds building a landcruiser for overland expedition (2 Viewers)

Should we paint Nulla’s camper cab blue?

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thank you warpdriv for the inspiration. my trip back from the Philippines was amazing, in addition to the Haiyan relief and reconstruction efforts i also did an amazing motorcycle ride in the Haiyan super typhoon effected areas which i will report later. for now i want to share some of the addition into the Nulla since my last post. these addition where in preparation for Burning man which unfortunately we missed because we where not able to get tickets. here are the updates;
1) mounted a 2 or 3 gallon propane tank
2) build Nulla a litter sister, an all aluminum bicycle side car. as you can see from the picture it fit inside the Nulla, but it also mounts in front of the Nulla. i don't have a picture of that at this time but i will share later. the side car works nicely with my wife, two little dogs and I. Our grand daughters loves it when they travel with us. we want to be able to go to the nearest town after setting up camp. we are thinking of making the side car electric but yet decided, we don't want to lose the exercise value of riding a bike.
3) mounted two 5 gallon scepter can in front, when traveling the can are flipped upward (with the cap up), when we get ready to use the can just flip it downward open the air vent to let the water out. maybe someday a faucet can be added but for now this set up work just fine. trying to avoid added complexities. yes they have a lock.

my first time posting on this new ih8mud format:rimshot:

enjoy, hope to share my trip to the Philippines next.:cheers:

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4395.JPG

IMG_4449.JPG

IMG_4456.JPG

IMG_4457.JPG

Good grief! That was a lot of time spent catching up. That thing is ridiculous.

I spent about 5 months living in San Ignacio BCS. Loved that town. Always enjoyed saying hi to Terry and? that have the yurts you guys stayed at a few years ago. If you have never stayed in the Bahia Conception, you should. Beautiful place. Every morning a guy comes by and will sell you some awesome tamales. It looks like about 30km south of Mulege.

Truly a fantastic build. Love it.

Just spent the past couple hours reading all of the 30pages. Wonderful truck.. Cheers

Awesome build. Thanks for sharing!

thank you all for the positive comments, here is a little up date; we are now in the process of building the tow vehicle for Nulla it will be a motorcycle with a side car here is the bike should have a rolling chassi by May (hopefully). the side car will be trailered. when we get to camp we do not want to break camp, this will allow us to take the sidecar to explore the area.... thx again
IMG_7924.JPG

here are two up up dates;
1. Nulla is currently on the road
2. Nulla's sister motorcycle sidecar. the plan is to trailer the sidecar to use as transportation when we reach destination. it will not be made out of wood that is a mock up. the sidecar extend to 7 foot sleeping area, 30 inches wide...... thanks
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1561.JPG
IMG_1581.JPG

Next step for Nulla: re gearing rear and front axel and installing RD 153 ARB lockers. i just started my research on re gearing i hope that you all can help me out. here are some of the factors to consider. Nulla weight 10,000 pounds when fully loaded, tire size Toyo M55 255/85R16 overall diameter 33.3", width 10.4", front axel is 1982 40 series, rear axel is 1986 80 series they are both geared OEM 411, 12ht diesel engine. what gear ratio is best for overall improve performance for this heavy rig.... thanks

you forget something important and that's it your tranny .. guess you have a H55F and you are not really interested on top speed .. anyhow I wouldn't go over 4.56 to keep rpm on acceptable range at HW speed ..

you forget something important and that's it your tranny .. guess you have a H55F and you are not really interested on top speed .. anyhow I wouldn't go over 4.56 to keep rpm on acceptable range at HW speed ..

sorry yes my transmission is H55 5 speed... thanks

Ok this topic is quite long to all read now (I don't have the time haha). Just touched a couple of pages, so you are running a 12HT now? I saw some discussion of user "troopie", are you running the same setup? I drove his Landcruiser with 12HT, man, that thing is a monster. But now it's getting even worse with a new engine :p

How much does it weigh? The truck looks really nice, and also practical.

But more importantly, where do you want to take this awesome machine? :)

We also had a 45, but just a simple one with 3B engine. Rooftent, and drive it from Europe to Asia :D

So our beach pictures look like this (this is in Goa, India)

1149293010mini-DSC_199-1.JPG

Thx Hiace4wd, yes it is a 12th, it weight 10,000 pound. Where are you now? We want to start in Asia but more complicated cause of shipping, carnet etc..... It is easy for us to just drive south to South America we live in Los Angeles. Been following Overlanding Asia fb, if you have expirience to share on shipping to Asia ... Send me a PM.

I'm at home in Amsterdam :p
The trip was in 2011 and 2012, from Amsterdam overland via Eastern Europe, Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India, Nepal and back. You can check out the route, photos and blog on www.lovetheworld.nl, although you would have to use Google Translate button on the right :)

We actually wanted to do some shipping, but things were changing because of changing border rules. Our idea was to put it in a container, which fits. But I don't think you can do it with your machine? You need roll-on-roll-of (roro) ferries?
I recently learned that for 2500 euro it was possible to ship to US from europe (I think Hamburg) with roro, so I guess it should be possible to the same in opposite direction and continue to Asia :) But now that I think about it, LA is on the other side of the US so doesn't make too much sense.

Where in Asia do you want to go, if you go to Asia? Which countries?

10,000 pounds, that's alot! You need that 12HT :D I saw a lot of chassis work, I guess it has been reinforced?
We had a 3B, only 90hp, but it took us everywhere. Even at huge altitudes at highest motorable roads!

We sold the BJ45 since it was only going to sit outside and rust away. And we were starting a family and bought a house etc. So we sold it.
But in your configuration, it is pretty useful with a family. Can I rent it from you when we visit LA? haha ;)
Now we bought a pretty rare 4x4 Hiace, and converted it to a camper van. I was also looking at pickup builds and other 4x4 mini trucks (like Mercedes Sprinter or Iveco Daily) but it would be more expensive and take much more time building it. But if you spend that time, like you do, you can do it exactly the way you want to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom