Considering a 2015 GX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crimsonaudio

2003 - Gojira
SILVER Star
Threads
My magnificent wife has driven her 2003 Honda Odyssey (what she wanted) since we bought it new 12 years ago, and I think it's time to get her something new. I have an '03 Land Cruiser (DD) to go along with my '72 FJ40 (toy), so we are familiar with the Land Cruiser name and reliability.

I doubt this truck would ever see any off-road use, and while there are other SUVs in the class that are rated higher (thought most of those ratings seems suspect), she hates the new, rounded, 'crossover' SUV look, preferring a more traditional (boxy) SUV appearance.

Any thoughts regarding the reliability, quirks, gotchas, etc. on the newer GX model? We tend to buy exactly what we want and drive a vehicle for many years, so cost isn't a huge issue - it's more about reliability, comfort, etc.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Get her a used 200 series. I got my 2011 LX570 with under 30k miles with 1 year of factory bumper to bumper warranty and 3 years of drivetrain warranty remaining. Texas truck all records and no rust looked new. Paid $52k. Your going to pay that or more for a new GX. No comparing them for safety, dependablity, quality. The LX is built for 25 years of hard use, even if you buy one with 70 k miles and no warranty it will last 500k+ miles with just normal service. You know this since you own a 100 series. The GX is not a LX or LC.

Thanks - but she really doesn't want something as big as my 100, and the 200 is slightly larger than even that.

What's drawing me to the GX is the fact that it actually is an LC - in every other country it's the LC Prado - rugged and reliable. The US variant just happens to add a few layers of luxury to it.

We got ours (my wife's) based on similar criteria. My wife had an Audi which was longer and more fun to drive, but with the rounded, sloping rear there was quite a bit less storage area overall, and a lot less headroom. Plus every time I blinked it was $100 to the dealer. The GX is still reasonably "mid sized" but has room for 7, or a decent amount of storage in the back.

It's been a good choice for us, and no issues so far. Just oil changes and standard Toyota stuff to maintain it. I don't love the barn rear door, but I've gotten used to it and the fact that the rear glass pops out is handy for quick access to stuff in the back. There have been some reports of emissions equipment failures on higher mileage models (Air Injection pump if memory serves), but nothing else systemic I've seen.

You can poke around on pradopoint.com as well for more usage/experience from down under. Engines are different, but most everything else is the same on the GX.

The GX is nearly identical in size to a 100 and weighs 300lbs more. If you like the 100, the GX is darn close to the same size. FWIW, the 5th gen 4runner is nearly identical underneath as well since it's a 150 just like the GX. The LTD 4runner interior is also very very similar to the GX460, but it will have a 4.0L v6, be just a tad shorter length, and be about 700lbs lighter. The ltd 4runner doesn't have KDSS like the Trail 4runner and GX460 do. For me that was a must have. I ended up with a 4runner trail premium over the GX460 primarily due to how much heavier the GX felt driving and the mpg difference. The Trail Premium lacks a lot of the creature comforts of the GX though.

I'm sure you'll like it. If you don't ever go offroad, I would probably look at a Highlander, but it sounds like that's not an option. Good luck!

The wife really likes the 4 Runner, too - we need that third row of seats. But she also likes the bells and whistles of the GX (heated steering wheel is very attractive to her). Would love to buy her a clean 100, but we're really looking to buy new or at most a year old.

Looked at the overall dimensions annam surprised to find how close they are, @Jetboy - I'm going to look at the 200's vs the GX now. The 200 looks larger, but looks can be deceiving...

I doubt this thing will ever see off-road - we have an FJ40 and a UZj100 for fun / camping. If the 4Runner limited had a couple more luxury features I suspect she'd be all over it.

Thanks for all the help so far guys - it's really appreciated!

Well, she test drove the new GX460 a second time and made up her mind, so we struck a deal today and we'll pick it up from the Lexus dealership tomorrow. This one will likely never be par to this forum as I doubt it'll ever see off-road as we already have two LCs, but I wanted to thank you guys for your help and input.

I have had my GX 460 for 5 years now and love it. The "mud mods" I made were going up a tire size to BFG all terrains. It still drives great with those. It has more 2nd row leg room than my 100. It is a great truck to daily drive on the road and once in a blue moon have a dirt road/trail ride.

Good call. We did the same thing. The 62 is being torn down. The 100 is a daily driver and we just bought the GX for my wife. It is not the same size as a land cruiser but it is a fantastic car. We love it.
All the other mid-size SUVs look the same in my opinion. BMW=Hyundai=Explorer=Mazda=Volvo

Yah, the wife was initially drawn to the 'boxiness' of the GX460 as virtually all other SUVs look like crossovers now - which we both hate.

I was surprised to find the GX is virtually the same size as my 100 series LC. Whole other level of luxury, however.

Yah, the wife was initially drawn to the 'boxiness' of the GX460 as virtually all other SUVs look like crossovers now - which we both hate.

I was surprised to find the GX is virtually the same size as my 100 series LC. Whole other level of luxury, however.

After you own the GX for a few months give us a shoot back on how it compares to the 100 series. Enjoy

We were out of the country last year and my wife kept pointing out their Land Cruisers and asked why we couldn't get that in the States. She was pointing out the Land Cruiser Prado which the GX is based on. I take consolation in the fact that it has LC roots. Word of warning - 95 mph feels lie you are doing about 60.

20150611_131949.jpg
Our GX likes to go sight seeing, camping, plus a little mud now and then makes it feel like real landcruiser.

It's home - she loves it!

GX460_&_LC.jpg

Nice. Love the color.

congrats. teller her to be careful with the park assist, my girlfriend had hers fail twice. Once the system went off going down the road at 60 mphs and showed a warning and the dealer said everything was Ok. The second time she hit a large rock and damaged the front bumper, warning never went off.

She takes it everyplace and she loves it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom