Found a 67 .... FST ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landcruisnman

1972 FJ55 "Iron Giant"
Threads
Website
www.summitsteel.net
just picked this up last weekend from the second owner. Only 54k according to him. Lived it's life up near Placerville, CA. First owner put a 327 SBC and Saginaw PS. Other than that it's all stock. Has the old Belleview Winch with cable control and a real old school tow bar. The PO asked if I want the "extra" parts he had for it and I said "sure". Those were new weatherstripping pcs, old T hubcaps, FST Bows and a white top!!!!! Everything works, even the Darth Vador light!!! SCORE!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Probably not. I plan on putting disc axles on it and a 2-1/2"lift-aleady have the parts sitting around. I have some 33"tires I'm going to run. Just want to make the rig road worthy on the freeways around here and leave the patina on the body. It's got character. Nothing I do will be irreversible. I do want to put the soft top on and run that instead of the Hard Top.

nice fj40 .probably not a factory fst but looks like you have most of the parts to convert it

I agree, probably not a FST. Can I see more pictures of the top? What mechanism does it have to attach the rear corner soft top panels? I don't see footman loops. Maybe the top has eyelets for turnbuckles?

I have a 1975 FJ40 with a 1967 283. Welcome to the club! You're is much prettier than mine is...

The casting on the intake manifold might not be your best source, as intake manifolds can be swapped (i.e.: could be a 327 with a 283 manifold). There's a casting on the back, driver side of the block, near the bell housing, that will ID your engine. If you want more details on where the engine came from, there should be a second serial number on a flat spot up in front of the passenger-side head on the block. I had to sand the rust off of it to see mine. Sometimes there is even a partial VIN there, which will tell you exactly where it came from. Mine didn't - they weren't required until 1968. Even with just the serial number, I was able to narrow it down to a Chevy C10 or C20.

Also - do you happen to know who did the conversion? Was it a PO, or was it installed early on? Mine has a data plate from CA on the door frame indicating that my conversion was done by a company called "GO-TEN" manufacturing in Union City. It looks like my truck was a V8 conversion, basically, straight off the boat from Japan, and originally had a 1971 350 in it. It was later swapped to a 283 by a PO.

Just curious, as I've never run into another "Go-Ten" conversion. Funny how much history you can put back together through random receipts and serial numbers!

Peddles look consistent with 50k mi.
Love the black license plate.

Pat, congrats on the new 40! I still have your old 40 so I'd be down for heading up some time and comparing notes. Just PM when you plan on working on it and I'll see about making it up to check it out. Cheers.

Mark

Back in the day the soft top was a factory option you could purchase with the rig. It included the key elements of a FST including the Darth Vader light. This was all factory installed. Not dealer installed. So it was a mix of both tops hence the barn doors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom