Stock Land Cruiser PTO shaft information needed. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
I have a 1982 FJ45 that we have been working on getting the stock PTO winch up and running. We have the winch completed now but have no shaft(s) nor gearbox.
If someone that has a shaft assembly for this year and would be willing to take some pictures and measurements of the shafts length and with I believe I can engineer one.
John Deere and a few other places have many PTO parts where one can be created with the right information.
If you can help me please PM me and we can go from there.
And if you know of a split case gear box , let me know about that.
Thanks

There is a splitcase gearbox in the diesel classified. Not cheap but they are hard to find!

get the gear box first then fabbing the shaft with jd parts or tractor supply stuff should be easy .there are photos of the setup on another post here that will give you and idea of what you may need good luck .i dont know how to link you to any

Thanks guys will be checking that out. Yeah, I have a friend that works in the John Deere shop in town and tells me that I can build my own shafts from the parts they sell, a Lillie engineering but should be just as good. That's one of the main reasons I have been looking for a case so I can start working from the case forward.
On it, thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Checked that ad. It says the linkage fit a automatic transmission. Most likely is the single direction. Also comparing the shift the one for the HJ47 troop carrier is longer than the one for the automatic. Since plan on manual transmissions looking into how I'm going to tackle that. Also around a press and tearing my single direction apart to convert it. The output shaft is splined like the two direction and that used the same output gear. It has collar on it for the shifting fork. Over all looks simple to do. 79-82 models only used one pillow block bearing. 83 To mid 86 when the last 4X series was made used two. If you could even find just the front bracket for the pillow block bearing it would maKe the job easier. My driveLine is off a 84 with two bearings but front should be the same. If you have a complete driveldrive line with the bracket and change the length of the two shafts it could be pretty easy. One thing I notice was the housing for the billow block bearing is still not aluminum.

The pillow block bearing on the 79-82s is that the one to the side of the engine front?
My diagram shows two but that also can be wrong. I still have a feeler out for a complete shaft system for this era 45 and it would make life much nicer but it can be reproduced.
There is a gent in the UK that is going to send me some photos of a 1982 shaft assembly he is selling to someone so before it ships it out I should have some pretty good measurements and a good picture of the pillow block mount and shafts.

Keep an eye out for a shaft off of a 60 series as well. You can easily shorten or lengthen as needed. The pillow blocks are the same but you would need to fab up the brackets to attach them to the frame. The parts that wear the most are the splines. So have a good look at them.

Pete

peteinip if one was to find a 60 type shaft and needed to cut to length, when cutting would I set the spline travel in the yoke to about have way to allow for slight movement or close to bottomed out. I know there should not be much movement when winching but while driving I was thinking of the transmission movement translating to the winch yoke. Does this make sense?
Thanks

The front spline is pretty much fixed from the pillow block to the winch. The early collar was really long. Toyota reduced that to a short probably because of the lack of movement. While I have never noticed wear in the splines on the 84 PTO setup the splines by the PTO were fine instead of coarse. The length of the front shaft should be the same in a 82 and 84. I can get you the factory length.

If no problem I would like the factory length for the 82-84.
Will a HJ61 1988 split case gear box be a contender for a 82 PTO. Found one but not to sure of its compatibility.
Stopped by the John Deere dealership to check on what is available and it actually looks very promising. Just need a better view of the parts I need to engineer with some of their parts.
Thanks

Here are the mesurements and photo out of my 1980 bj40.
Picture first.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438775579.158951.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438775600.326140.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438775618.726809.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438775649.399176.jpg

On the pictures, you will see it as is and jammed. I tryied making mesures that are useful, let me know if you need more.

Front shaft is 40 cm long from yoke to yoke center.
It is 35 to 22.3 mm in diameter.
Bearing is 41 mm x 79mm and bolts to a 49.7 mm bracket.
At splines it is 26-27 mm in diameter. There are 10 splines.
Flanges are about 5.5 cm long each and 75 mm wide.
The bearing bracket sits 42mm from the frame and goes to 10cm max.

Back shaft is 112.5 cm long from yoke to spline end (end of shaft).
Splines are about 4.5 cm long.

The yokes are 10.8 mm in diameter and 61.6 mm wide.

The linkage 43 cm, the last 5 cm is the adjustable end link.
The handle is 30 cm.
The linkage bracket is attached to the body at an angle.

The pto box flange is 52mm center to center bolts.

Let me know if you need more.

Jean-Marc

Very very cool, this is a big help for me. You have a forward and reverse gear box that is nice. The linkage is a real help also in seeing the set up.
I believe I can reproduce the bearing hanger from that picture with a few mods. Would it be possible to ask for some pictures of the linkage at different angles so I can start on that parts as it looks to be a good place to start. I have some steel rods so I will use your pictures as reference for the rest.
Jean that is a supper help big thanks
Daryl

Hey guys wanted to update the split case gearbox situation (or lack of).
I was very lucky to have a fellow Mud subscriber contact me and offered a give me a good useable split case gearbox that he will never use for my PTO project. So I am pretty excited to be closer to starting the shaft work. I will not name the gent for privacy reasons but you know who you are and I am in your debt.
So with that said I am trucking on with the shat build or still willing to buy a useable one that may or may not need modifications.

Thanks

Wow thats what i call an angel - high five to this gent.

As for the pictures of the linkage assembly, here it is.

I hope that is what you need.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800462.410592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800478.319008.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800504.708920.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800571.206775.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800637.033081.jpg

J

If you get your shaft out of farm pto / John Deere parts, i sure would like to have the parts list. I have to rebuild a shaft for myself. It be nice to share this on the thread for everyone. Thx

There was the cable you need for the shifter in the Mud classifies. I'm using mine on 79 FJ40 and 65 FJ45 so will use the 83 and later style since neither is correct and I like the later style better. You got better measurements of the then I could provide. 83+ has a extra pillow block. My 82 frame only has the mounting hole for the front pillow block which is the same as the information I've found on line.

jmphilion super job on that bracket measurements, I believe I can build that with what you have given us. Yours looks to be a little on the weathered side but with some cleaning and sealing it will work for many years.
When I start to get what I can find to complete the shaft and linkage build I will post as much as possible with pictures as always.
Would be nice to have the 60 shaft and just cut and weld and I am still working towards that but I will also have to be ready to build if needed.
Living in the Past I was just looking at the parts diagram on the linkage and the cable system, if possible I am going to go direct shaft linkage
to the system. Also the diagram show the one pillow block for the 82 model so that is a plus seeing what imphilion has posted in his picture. I have a nice photo of your linkage you posted also to use as a template.
I am still not giving in as said on finding a shaft assembly to use and or modify but I can see light at the end of the tunnel much better now.
Thank you for the pictures and information.
Oh and one can find many places on the web that has parts and can build shafts to your needs. Just one - http://www.ptoshafts.com/

Winch kit.JPG

shaft11.JPG

Last edited:
jmphilion, I am now starting construction on the shifter lever box like the one you show in the pictures, can you tell me just were was this box was mounted on the truck and how. Diagram is a bit vague.
Thanks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800462_410592-56.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800478_319008-46.jpg
jmphilion, I was building a mock up of the shifter housing from your measurements which are working out very nicely. I would like to ask if you can measure the angle part of the mount and the lip mount height. I included a few of your pictures with the yellow to possible aid in my question. I can find the angle pretty close but with the cutaway part (scrolled cut) of the side of the mount kind of put in in a gray zone.
Thanks
Sorry I also needed the link shaft opening area measurement also. Thanks again.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800462_410592-56.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800478_319008-46.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438800478_319008-47.jpg

Last edited:
If you go with the 79 - 82 shifter you need to use a cable. With the bracket mounted to the frame it could shift or bind up when the motor moves If you used a solid shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom