Old Coleman stuff on e-Bay vs. New (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Mudders I have posted this on Expedition Portal but I ain't getting any love over there so since this forum has the big Coleman thread I thought I would see if you can help me out here.

I am looking at getting a Coleman liquid fuel stove. I do not want to be hauling propane canisters around, small or large. I have been doing a lot of reading on this and other sites. I think I am going to look at some of the old stuff because I have looked at the new Guide Series Powerhouse in the stores and I have been underwhelmed at its construction vs. what I remember as a kid growing up in the '70s. Going to have to look on e-Bay because there does not seem to be much available around here unless I scour all the local yard sales, which I don't have time to do. I am interested in a vintage Model 413/414 or 426/428. Before I dive in I wanted to ask a few questions.

First, people complain that construction of Coleman stoves has gotten flimsier over the years and I would have to agree. But what about the actual performance of the new stoves? How does it compare to the "good old" ones in terms of reliability, ease of lighting, longevity, heat produced?

Second, can anyone recommend or direct me to some of the more reliable sellers of this stuff on e-Bay? Hard to tell just from the ads who's honest and reliable and who isn't.

Third, I also would like to find a good bright high-output double mantle liquid fuel lantern. What would be a good model to be on the lookout for?

Any advice/information appreciated, thanks, namsag.

Garage sale. EBay sells to collectors, garage sales sell to get rid of crap. I have picked up multiple stoves and a nice dual fuel lantern and never spend more than $10 or $15 bucks.

yep. garage sales, or even local craigslist. I am sorta looking for a 413 stove- is the older, bigger 2 burner- has more heat output and a large footprint. Prolly also heavier and beefier...This would be in addition to my working 425 stove that I scored along with a fully functional model 220 lantern and almost functional 228 lantern all for 30 bucks...a couple old lanterns and a big old stove or 2 and prolly be under a hundred bucks, and last quite a while...

Yeah there's been nothing on Craigslist around here, my problem is I just don't have time to go around town looking through yard sales. My wife does but she won't know what she's looking for. We were talking about it today, we are going to sit down this week and look at some websites and try to educate her a little bit on what to look for. If she buys a $15 lantern or stove and it turns out to be beyond saving it won't be the end of the world.

Yeah there's been nothing on Craigslist around here, my problem is I just don't have time to go around town looking through yard sales. My wife does but she won't know what she's looking for. We were talking about it today, we are going to sit down this week and look at some websites and try to educate her a little bit on what to look for. If she buys a $15 lantern or stove and it turns out to be beyond saving it won't be the end of the world.

They are almost never beyond saving. Tell your wife if it says Colman on it and has a fuel tank sitting inside and it costs <$10, just buy it. It will likely fire up as is or only need a gasket and a couple drops of oil in the pump. Worst case scenario, a generator.

Last edited:
For a first stove, a 413E, F, or G is hard to beat. I have a slight preference for the F, but it's minor.

If you want a 3 burner, a 426B, C, or D will be what you want. Again, I like the C models, but it's minor.

Craigslist is a great source. For $20. I have paid up to $40 for a basically NIB 426C.

If you were closer, I have a great 426B that I don't need, but it isn't worth the shipping.

You just need to be patient. I stopped looking, and suddenly, I had a garage full of Coleman stoves.

If you stay with the models I mentioned, there is 100% availability of parts. Unless there is significant rust, they are almost always fixable.

Regarding lanterns, if you are set on a double mantle, look no further than a 220 any letter or 228 any letter. Here is a 228 from the 1950s:

Coleman1008500x375_zpsf7af961b.jpg

Thnkks guys, I have been looking a lot at the Coleman Collectors' Forum, so I see what you mean about not being beyond help. The rebuild tutorials are really cool. I have some lead time, probably won't need them til October or so, so we will keep our eyes open. This looks like it's going to be fun.

If you are short on time to garage sale look for community sales. We have a couple of them each year, a whole neighborhood will get together and have sales on the same weekend. We try to always go to the ones in older neighborhoods, empty nester couples sell a lot of camping gear that is in great shape.

Thats a good idea. Some people around here make a career out of putting on yard and "inside" sales. I am acquainted with a few of them. But if you tell them that you are interested in looking out for a certain item, the price somehow mysteriously doubles.

How does it compare to the "good old" ones in terms of reliability, ease of lighting, longevity, heat produced?
Don't know much about the modern stuff. It isn't supposedly as durable but looks to work the same, so I can't imagine it's much hotter or efficient. I know they changed materials for seals (no longer leather), so may not be as reliable as the old ones. Neither would have issues lighting.

Second, can anyone recommend or direct me to some of the more reliable sellers of this stuff on e-Bay? Hard to tell just from the ads who's honest and reliable and who isn't.
I haven't found any unreliable sellers on ebay, though most stuff on there is overpriced. Looking at feedback is generally the easiest way to know if they're a good seller.

Third, I also would like to find a good bright high-output double mantle liquid fuel lantern.
I would go for whatever you can find replacement globes for. I've broken quite a few. Other than that, most double Coleman lanterns are all pretty equivalent. Some have a notch for a flint lighter to be installed, which can be handy. Mantles affect brightness more than anything. The old radioactive mantles worked really great.

Like other's have said, almost any Coleman stove or lantern you find will be good unless it is totally rusted or intentionally abused. You may find you need to tinker a little to get the leather to seal, or pull apart a few things to clean out some internal crud, but it's kind of fun to mess with these old things and can become an addiction. A few years ago I got addicted to single burner coleman stoves ended up with at least five of them. A couple are from the 40s and 50s. The single burners are just so cool and handy and much less rattly. Some of the old ones can really put out a ton of heat.

There is a local store with lots of old coleman stoves and lanterns for fair prices. I'd be happy to see what they have and if any of it looks good, I'll let you know and if you're interested, will ship you for what it costs me. Send me a PM if you want to go that route.

Just curious, why liquid fuel? No matter what you're going to be hauling fuel around, whether it's propane or whitegas, and propane is a lot safer I would think.

I love the old Coleman stuff. I'm not really an intentional collector, but have acquired quite a few pieces over the years just from garage sales and other places. Like everyone else, if i find it cheap ($5-$15), I'll pick it up no matter what the condition because they always seem to be repairable and I really enjoy tinkering with them. I just like the older stuff more for the nostalgia than any real practical reason, I honestly I can't really tell any difference in performance. I know liquid fuel is supposedly hotter, but because my use mostly consist of boiling water and maybe making pancakes and eggs they all work the same for me. Because of that I mostly use newer dual burner propane with electronic ignition just for the convenience, and the older stuff is more for novelty/fun.

As for lanterns, look at the Petromax/Brytelyt one. Wenzel also made a clone that came in a vintage looking wooden box. Again, for practical reasons (and cost) a modern coleman propane one is a lot more convenient, but it doesn't have the same feel or style as pulling out one of those classic shiny pressure lanterns. I just wish I could find them for an affordable price.

Last edited:
Axle, I am starting to hear of a few things around town after putting a few feelers out, I appreciate the offer.

ducktape, I too enjoy tinkering with stuff. I want the old liquid fuel stuff for all the nostalgic reasons you mention, because it's what we had at scout camp when I was a kid, and it's what my brother and I used when we camped for three weeks through Wyoming and Montana 30 yrs ago, and it's what I want my girls to look back on and remember dad fiddling with and pumping, and occasionally cussing at. The old Coleman stuff just says Camping to me.

Plus, just a personal preference, I would rather carry a gallon or two of Coleman fuel than a bunch of small canisters or a big barbecue one.

Propane vs liquid fuel has been debated, there are strong factual arguments that make liquid fuel the better choice.

Just curious, why liquid fuel?

More versatile (burn in your stove, lantern, engine, lawnmower, bonfire, etc.), more widely available (every gas station), more btus, safer (no pressure vessels), if you're driving a petrol vehicle you've always got a supply in the vehicle, no trash (disposable cylinders).

I understand liquid fuel has certain advantages for some people, I was curious why the OP specifically wanted it. In his first post it sounded like he just didn't want to carry the propane canisters, which didn't make sense because you'll need to carry fuel no matter what. But then he explained it's mainly for nostalgia, which is a good of a reason as any and the reason I like the my old coleman stuff too.

If I every have the need to run my lawnmower at camp I may start carrying my old liquid fuel coleman's too. :)

Are you guys actually running gas pump fuel in your coleman stuff? I wouldn't, just cause I don't want to gum up my cool old coleman stuff and breathe nasty fumes, but I could be wrong that it even does that. Anyone with real world experience? :steer:

Also: I personally hate propane, but I disagree that it is more dangerous than white gas/gasoline. IMO propane is worlds safer. For me, besides the coolness factor and extra heat from white gas, propane barely works in the wintertime, whereas white gas won't miss a beat.

Are you guys actually running gas pump fuel in your coleman stuff? ... IMO propane is worlds safer.

The point is you CAN burn gasoline in a liquid fuel appliance, so fuel is readily available. Why would propane be safer? Flammable liquid under pressure vs. flammable liquid not under pressure. Not that propane is particularly dangerous, but all things being equal, pressure doesn't improve the situation.

Why would propane be safer?

No risk of spilling, and I would guess a much lower risk of leakage.

Anyway, didn't want to turn this into a debate on propane vs. liquid fuel, I'm sure it's been done to death. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. I was really directing the question to the OP on why he wanted it.

Can't get him to reply to my e-mails-----

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom