Emergency parts kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So far I've been lucky in my FJ Cruiser with parts not breaking when on the trail. But I know it's only a matter of time before it happens. That being said, I want to put together a kit that has some of the more likely to break parts so I'm not SOL when it happens. Has anyone created a list like this yet? If not who has broken more than a few things and can get the list started?

Front CV joint is about the most common trail repair I've seen or done, though my FJC is still on the factory originals. I carry a spare.

Also pretty common to bend the stock rear trailing arms; I replaced mine with aftermarket so I don't carry one.

I did blow up a rear diff on Wipeout Hill near Moab, but drove home on what was left of the ring and pinion. A third member is pretty bulky and heavy to carry around as a spare though.

On our shop FJC we carry a spare Longtravel cv (our truck is longtravel), and both inner and outer tie rods. We also carry some of every fluid on the truck just in case something where to happen.

~Jeff

carry a half shaft... (and tools to swap one). This is a weak link on IFS. You can change it out on the trail in about an hour pretty easily with the tools. A tie rod is good to keep handy although all the bent tie rods I've seen are on long travel FJCs.

After that it comes down to little bits and bobbles to cobble stuff together in the field like nuts and bolts assorted sizes, some engine and gear oil (here is the best place to put them ( ) oil filter, all purpose grease, duct tape and other fluids (break, power steering, coolant, ...) When you get your serpentine belt changed ask for the old one and keep it as a trail spare.

Last edited:
  1. CV axle assembly
  2. Inner tie rods
  3. serp belt
  4. diff fluids
  5. rear LCA if you haven't upgraded to HD linkage.
  6. front axle seals
  7. At least one of each major bolt size for suspension linkage, drive shaft flange and brake calipers.
  8. And of course, the tools to install any of these items on the trail.

Personally I'd skip the boot kits (for trail repair), because it's way easier to swap the whole assembly than it is to tear down the axle and replace a boot. You need a spare axle assembly anyway, so it trumps the boot kit.

a few extra lug nuts couldn't hurt, relays, fuses, headlight bulbs. and you can always adjust what you take depending on how far from home you go

Lug nuts?? Can't say I've ever seen anybody need extra lug nuts in 15 or so years of wheeling. Fuses, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom