Builds A pig out of hand is worth 2... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Napster,

My frame was sandblasted to start, but while I had it out from under the wagon, sprayed multiply products in it to stop and prevent the rust. Here's two pages of Eastwood's products. http://www.eastwood.com/paints/rust-solutions.html?p=1
I'd hang the frame up one way and spray in every hole, then hang the other way and spray. As a follow up every year spray a product like Fluid Film in the frame.

Maybe try power washing in there, just to get built up crap out, so the products get to metal. Going to be tough to get everywhere with the frame still bolted up. Once you feel you got it clean and dry, maybe some type of rust converter first.

Anything is better than nothing.

After the pressure wash maybe apply some phosphoric acid to the inside as a prep step?

In order to make time for the pig I put the kids to bed, kissed the wife and left home at 8:30pm to drive up to the shop. I go two solid hours of work done. Finished the passenger side shackle hanger and tacked it in place.
View attachment 1087551
Made some shock posts to weld to the axel. The FJ60 shocks mounted to the u-bolt plates so those would not work. Here they are tacked.
View attachment 1087552
View attachment 1087553
Worked on the passenger side spring hanger (no pics) and started working on the drivers side shock hoop. Good day!
View attachment 1087554

I saw this guy's kit and thought of you, looks like he puts a brace on both sides of the shock:
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/steering-links/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

Went crazy welding on the front axel housing. Thought I got all the welding done... I think you know what's coming... So I put on a coat of primer.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434069968.897954.jpg

Then I realized that I had cut off the outer brake line brackets because they interfered with shock mounts... So I will be stripping the primer off in two spots and weld up the brackets. Tomorrow!

Picture of the shock mount bracing and reinforced steering stops (thank you Ron!)
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434070354.757035.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434069943.452855.jpg

Another good day! School is out so now I get to play in my shop without distractions and without the shop getting trashed by hooligans!

Mounted the brake line tabs on the back of the shock mount and got 4 coats of black on the housing:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434146450.032585.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434146492.614216.jpg

Ran the welder for while and got all the spring hangers finish welded:
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434146558.094291.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434146572.005648.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434146591.218910.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434146606.226978.jpg

Spent some time cleaning up the frame and cut the old bell housing mounts that will no longer be used.

Back from summer vacation (yes teaching rules). Found a cam for a great price! It is an old regrind from CalCams in Oakland, not sure if they are in business still but it looks like this thing was boxed up in the 70's and has never been installed. Super nice guy that sold it to me threw in everything that he could find that was land cruiser related. The big score was some factory service manuals! One more piece of the puzzle. Now I need to get the lifters reground or buy new ones...

Good day! Lifters arrived and looks like Oregon Cam did a great job. Measured the new cam bearing journals and they are within specs so I can use my new standard cam bearings. Next step was to press out the old cam bearings and press in the new ones. I had to make some bearing presses the right size for the bearings. To the lathe!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1439529678.364327.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1439529710.148842.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1439529728.147734.jpg

Cool stuff. I just brought home an old lathe, not that I need to make a cam bearing press. It's just neat you can do that and not have to haul the motor to a shop.

Good Job!

Thanks Ron. I am not into hauling these motors around and not into paying someone to do what seems like such a simple job. The best part is that now that I have the presses, if I ever do this again, Ill be saving sooooo much time and money! ;) The reality is that I probably put way more time into making the presses than it would cost me to have someone press in the new bearings... but then I wouldn't get to play with the lathe...

So my next step is make a crossmember to catch the transfer case and trans. This means I need to get my block and TC back together. Installed my cam, and timing cover oil pump as well as new freeze plugs. Just so I have this info: oil squirted was aimed and staked, lower timing cover bolts were siliconed and all bolts torqued to spec.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446746169.343931.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446746189.040332.jpg

In order to put my TC back together I wanted to rebuild, paint and seal the transmission: Here goes!
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1446746337.525211.jpg

Transmission is going well. It was a challenge getting the input shaft out without the special tool but the case is now empty and ready for the solvent tank. All gears and bearings look good, I feel a bit lame getting a full rebuild kit but oh well. It took me a year to get the funds together for the Trans and TC kits so I am going to use them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom