Righty moves to San Diego (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At the top, my dog found shade under the truck. I chose instead to sit under a tree and drink a Sculpin.
4awning.jpg

This picture makes me smile :D

Visited a family cabin in the mountains near Lake Arrowhead and took the opportunity to check out the local trails, including this one above Silverwood Lake.

Lots of trails to explore, even some water crossings, but since I was alone I stuck the easy stuff and enjoyed the views
silverlake1.jpg

Never miss an opportunity to test suspension travel!
silverlake3.jpg

On the way back, at ~70 MPH (yes, downhill), this happened
silverlake4.jpg

Unfortunately, flying chunks of tread damaged the lip of the wheel well and ripped the mud flap from all but one bolt.
silverlake5.jpg

Not happy about the damage, but I suppose it could have been much worse. And, now my plan to upgrade to 33s seems slightly more justified! Recommendations?

Ouch - how'd that happen??

Ouch - how'd that happen??

Not entirely sure what happened. I'm thinking the tire was just old. It appears to be an older style BFG and the date code, if I'm reading it correctly, suggests it was made in 2008.

I started using this tire maybe 500 miles ago when I rotated the tires for the first time since buying the truck. After a couple rocky trails, there was a small amount of "chunking" in the middle of the tread. I ignored it, especially since I had a lot of chunking on BFGs on my 100 and this was nothing in comparison. Otherwise everything seemed normal. Pressure was at 34 PSI and was consistent with the other tires. It was around 90F outside and while 70 MPH may be a significant accomplishment in a BJ74, I wouldn't think that alone would cause a tire to disintegrate.

silverlake6.jpg

I did 70mph+ for about 2000 miles b/w Moab and Harrisburg, so I don't think that was the problem!

Incidentally the ATs on my 100 have a decent amount of chunking as well, and they are only 2 years old. Luckily there wasn't any further damage, and now you get to shop for some new tires! Certainly not the worst outcome.

I did 70mph+ for about 2000 miles b/w Moab and Harrisburg, so I don't think that was the problem!

Incidentally the ATs on my 100 have a decent amount of chunking as well, and they are only 2 years old. Luckily there wasn't any further damage, and now you get to shop for some new tires! Certainly not the worst outcome.
I was just impressed that you could do 70 mph. : )

Decided on 33x10.5/15 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s, and with some luck, they were in stock and ready to be mounted up.

They don't see a ton of BJ74s at Discount Tire. Got a LOT of attention from the staff, passers by, and customers. I even met a 100 series owner who happened to be there for well...new tires.
33son74a.jpg

Finished product:
33son74.jpg

Flipped the tire carrier to get the spare to clear the bumper. The rear wiper is obstructed. With the lack of rain in San Diego I don't even use the front wipers, so I'll put this toward the bottom of my to do list.

Very nice! I love my BFG mud terrains. Any chance you could post some more pics from different angles with the new shoes?

Thanks!

Pics? Oh, I've got pics...!

Glamor shot in the wilds of the suburbs
33son74b.jpg

The tires are temporarily the cleanest parts on the truck
33son74c.jpg

A little less clearance on the small door, a little less tail light visibility
33son74d.jpg

Fixed the mud flap, but haven't cleaned off the marks left by the old tire tread when it was flapping around
33son74f.jpg

Slightly less functional rear wiper
33son74e.jpg

Haven't been off pavement yet, but the tires feel pretty good on the road. They may be noisier, but I can't tell with all the windows down and the usual clambering of the 13B-T. Accelerating and braking seem to require a tiny bit more effort as expected when going up in size. Corning seems unchanged.

That tread peel...looks like a retread. Glad to hear/see it didn't cause more damage!

Pretty happy with the new 33s after a few freeway miles and some time playing around on the trails. The tires performed as expected, but also helped me see more clearly how well the Lock-Rite/LSD combination works.

testing33s2.jpg

Immediately after installing the lockers in March, I rotated the tires. Since then, when accelerating from a stop and turning, the inside rear tire would chirp/slip slightly. This was far more pronounced when turning right. Figuring that was a normal drawback of automatic lockers, I sort of got used to it and just learned to move more slowly out of corners.

Fast forward to this week...Turns out the tire on the left rear (right front before rotation) had about 0.1 inches less tread than the others. Thanks to a CL buyer for pointing that out...and for still buying the old tires! With the new tires, this problem went away. Drivability way up.

The truck continues to impress me off road. Choosing more difficult and steeper lines, it comes alive. The rear lockers give a ton of confidence and the LSD up front helps when things get ugly. Lots of fun.

Random shot along the trail somewhere
testing33s5.jpg

My 12 year old son drove for a while. His choice of lines was "unconventional", but allowed us to do some flexing and see what trouble lockers could get us out of. If I wasn't clutching the grab handle and holding my breath, I'd have taken a shot of his first wheel lift.
testing33s7.jpg

Very nice photos!!!

The truck looks GREAT with the new tires. I really like it.

Thanks for sharing,

-Alberto

Thanks @AlbertoSD !

I finally got the truck out onto some more difficult trails last weekend. Aired down to around 18 PSI, it was a traction machine. Between the bigger tires, the lockers, and the relatively short wheelbase, the truck feels really solid, confident. Tons of fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom