Curing cancer, 76 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I've been lurking on the site for a couple years since buying my 76 from a friend who decided he didn't want to spend the time and money on it. The 40 is a typical bone stock unit with smog garbage removed. It is mechanically very sound with the tightest steering I have ever felt in any cruiser I have ever driven, no wandering.

I finally tore into it and decided I was lucky to have not fallen through the floor while driving it home. I am going to leave the drivetrain stock and add p/s. This will be a frame off resto because of the terminal nature of the cancer. So far I have only the lower cowel patched and tacked but I have only been working for a few days.

I definitely have much more ahead. I will keep anyone interested updated as I progress.

IMG_20150721_093244810_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150721_093320702_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150721_093357839_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150721_093420188_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150721_093512043.jpg

If that was mine, I would just get another tub. For the amount of labor and time you will have into fixing that tub buy a aqualu or something. If you don't buy a tub, you will likely find yourself overwhelmed in a few months and stop working on it, it will sit for years, then you will sell off the parts. Its just how these builds go. Drop the cash, the tub will get their in a few weeks, and you will be wayyyy ahead of the game with still plenty of odds and ends to take care of. Im sure someone will chime in that has actually restored a similar tub, and will agree to just buy a tub.

hmmm, how does the frame look ... fix or replace comes down to time/money/skill ... buy a tub, you save time, but it costs ... if you're a good welder, have the time, anything can be fixed ... keep an eye out in the Mud classifieds ... someone may part out a truck with a decent tub, if you decide to go that route ... welcome ...

If that was mine, I would just get another tub. For the amount of labor and time you will have into fixing that tub buy a aqualu or something. If you don't buy a tub, you will likely find yourself overwhelmed in a few months and stop working on it, it will sit for years, then you will sell off the parts. Its just how these builds go. Drop the cash, the tub will get their in a few weeks, and you will be wayyyy ahead of the game with still plenty of odds and ends to take care of. Im sure someone will chime in that has actually restored a similar tub, and will agree to just buy a tub.
That was my exact thought after really getting into it but I already had half the sheet metal by that time. I can weld and I like fab work so that is why I am going the route I am.

Bed liner - uh, yeah, too late for that. Sure hope your friend gave you a great price on it. Welcome, this should be fun to watch!

hmmm, how does the frame look ... fix or replace comes down to time/money/skill ... buy a tub, you save time, but it costs ... if you're a good welder, have the time, anything can be fixed ... keep an eye out in the Mud classifieds ... someone may part out a truck with a decent tub, if you decide to go that route ... welcome ...
It looks like I will be repairing the rear corners of the frame. I think the owner before my friend had spilled acid in it.

Bed liner - uh, yeah, too late for that. Sure hope your friend gave you a great price on it. Welcome, this should be fun to watch!
It was reasonable (1500), the hard top and doors are in good condition as are the seats and door panels. I couldn't say no after driving it. I got bit by the fj bug when I was 16 and couldn't shake it.

Hooked since 16? Wow, Dude, you are doomed. Well, if you're not a skilled welder now, you should be when you're done:cheers:

Looks like you have great help!!

There is another thread that may intrest you. Starting from scratch. Have a look at: @Indygbd
"Burnt FJ40 Restoration Project. Painted Photos are Posted".

I burnt out on my tub rebuild. When I went to sell off the project the clown who claimed he was going to buy it took all of my parts, gave me half the money I was asking, and put all the parts he could load in his F250 and never looked back. It inspired me to get back into getting it done, but I had to source out a tub to make things go much smoother. I am happy I did.

Remember that you don't have to find a mint condition tub. They are as rare as unicorns, and if you are lucky enough to find one prepare to spend a small fortune. Since it's apparent you have the skills for rust repair find one that has a good center beam, rear floor and wheel wells. The rear sill is almost always a replacement part on these rigs and is pretty straight forward. It would also be a bargaining tool.

Check out my build thread in my sig. You'll see what I got regarding a useable tub. Also don't be afraid to look out of state. I got mine from a guy on craigslist who lived outside of Fresno, CA. He was willing to crate and ship it though Fastenal. They are REALLY cheap. It only cost $350 to get it shipped to me in Delaware.

In sum, I am not trying to convince you to go this route. It's obvious you have a welder as well as the skills to use one, but a project with a tub like yours is quite an undertaking. My original tub might not have had as much visual rot as yours, but I needed to repair/replace about 80% of the metal you are going to have to. If you are planning on buying "factory looking" replacement panels it will cost you way more than finding a useable tub, and then there is the fitment issues with the aforementioned "factory looking" parts.

Got outer rockers tacked in and set front floor in to check fit. My measurements before and after cutting and fitting are not changing so hopefully this heap stays square while I continue.

I would pull the tub off if I thought it wouldn't get tweaked before I get more of it patched up. I'm planning on having everything media blasted when the tub is assembled.

IMG_20150805_181813340.jpg

IMG_20150805_181757976.jpg

nice work! where did you source the floor pan? nice to bring your kids in on the build, good memories there!!
I got it from classicparts4u, an eBay store. It was one piece but I cut it to get around my braces. The only problem I have is it being 18ga instead of 16ga. If i want it stiffer i can add a channel. The price was right so I jumped on it. Seems to be lining up okay, will know for sure when the midbed is done.

It looks a lot like mine did when I started (probably better though)... there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom