EGR Test - Intake Manifold Connect? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am doing the EGR Test per FSM but don't know where's the connection for the Intake Manifold. I've got the Gauge Vacuum connected to Port R of the EGR Modulator but where do I connect the Port R directly to the Intake Manifold? Thanks

Please, help me with this question. The answer is probably an obvious one but for someone like me who only works on my LC on weekends, it's not. Thanks for your help.

The EGR valve has a vaccum line connected from the valve to a small metal nipple on drivers side of intake on firewall end of intake.
Are you testing the EGR valve or EGR modulator?

That nipple on the drivers side extends completely through the manifold and connects to the EGR VSV via rubber vacuum line.
The EGR valve is connected to vacuum through the modulator which is connected to the top of the throttle body.
All tests are explained clearly in the FSM.

The EGR valve has a vaccum line connected from the valve to a small metal nipple on drivers side of intake on firewall end of intake.
Are you testing the EGR valve or EGR modulator?

I am testing the EGR System and step 5 is testing VSV and EGR Vacuum Modulator with a hot engine. Thanks

I am testing the EGR System and step 5 is testing VSV and EGR Vacuum Modulator with a hot engine. Thanks

Just to make sure, is this it?
IMG_1881.JPG

Yes, that is it. It looks mighty ugly. Get a stiff wire or small drill bit and clean away. After about three inches it will hit the next connecting vacuum line. Don't push the wire thru it.

Yes, that is it. It looks mighty ugly. Get a stiff wire or small drill bit and clean away. After about three inches it will hit the next connecting vacuum line. Don't push the wire thru it.

It does look ugly. It's filled with junk to a point where the hollow part looks solid. Thanks for your help.

Here's a picture cleaning it. Had to use a 1/16 drillbit but it almost broke so I replaced it with a thin screwdriver. It was blocked solid. IMG_1884.JPG IMG_1886.JPG

Here's the modulator, ugly it is.
IMG_1878(1).JPG

Oh brother, not sure if that dude is salvagable.

Also, you can totally bypass the hard line nipple that was clogged by going from the EGR valve down under intake to the VSV....as shown in pic.
20150802_231336[1].jpg

Oh brother, not sure if that dude is salvagable.

Also, you can totally bypass the hard line nipple that was clogged by going from the EGR valve down under intake to the VSV....as shown in pic.View attachment 1115194

I've got a replacement modulator coming tomorrow from CDAN. Will the bypass pass smog in California? Thanks

I've got a replacement modulator coming tomorrow from CDAN. Will the bypass pass smog in California? Thanks

Oh..I have no idea but I'm sure some mudder friend knows. Fortunately no smog inspection in Alabama.

Never had this problem but I'm sure it will fail the visual inspection. Of course this may also depend on who you take it to.

Never had this problem but I'm sure it will fail the visual inspection. Of course this may also depend on who you take it to.

I have to smog it at a Test Only or Gold Shield station. Got a question: It also failed due to blue-white smoke on the tailpipe at snap. Any advice on how I can pass this test? I am replacing the PCV. Thanks

Blue smoke usually denotes burned oil. Was the blue smoke emitted as the engine revved or as the RPMs settled back down?
If during rev up it could be piston rings or valve guides or both. If some blue smoke drifts out as the RPMs come down then it's most likely valve guides.

Why did you decide to test the egr? Were you having specific issues?

Failed California smog due to EGR not functional plus blue-white smoke at tailpipe on snap (which I still don't know how to fix) but I am replacing the PCV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom