Why is my scepter water can leaking? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why is my scepter water can leaking? I have a US surplus "scepter" water can that was new surplus when I got it. I don't think it is Scepter brand but when I posted pictures people said it was the real thing. Everything screws down tight on the cap. But if I lay it on its side after a few days my carpet is wet. I love the can but really want it stored laying flat. Should it have a gasket or something in the cap? Do I really need to use a Scepter wrench to get it tight enough? Do these just leak some times?

i think the gas cans have gaskets but should the water cans also have them? my "cap" is the large cap but also has the smaller pour cap and screw open vent on it. it is that style not the simple large cap. should it also have a gasket?

Never seen any with gaskets. Mine seal fine. I have Scepter, LCI, and various other brands of MWCs (all exactly the same).

i will fill it up and set it on ita side to "test" it and see where it is leaking from. i just didnt want to try all that if it was suppsed to have a oring or aomething.

One thing you can do is use a strap wrench or MWC wrench to overtighten it. This should grind out imperfections in the plastic and smooth them out. After that it should seal better with normal hand torque. You can also try sanding out any plastic flashing as well. Scepters should have come with an oring on the vent, but not all brands have it.

I have two I bought new. No gasket. I carry them upright though, for fear they will leak.

they dony leak bad but still leak. if i lay it flat on its side in a day or two it is wet underneath when i pick it up. i thinl once or twice i had it in that position and it didnt leak. maybe i need to have it really tight. i will have fin out where.it is leaking from and try a few different things i guess.

Well then, why not put a gasket in it?

Just checked my genuine US Government water cans, no gasket. It uses a thin, tapered area on the lid to make the seal. I don't see why you couldn't use a large "O" ring in the cap to improve the seal. Try some silicone plumbing grease on the seal and the threads.

MWC no gasket, MFC yup on gasket of...course.

I have several USGI (non-Scepter) cans and most of them leak if left one their side unless the lid is super tight. I also have several actual Scepter cans and they seal the best, no leaks ever.

are you guys using the wrench to tighten the lids or just your hands?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom