Kate (78 FJ40) meets 12HT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some shots of the york compressor mount. My first attempt was a simple plate that mounted to the stock AC bracket. There was not enough room to get the air cleaner in so I made this up. It uses part of the stock mount to maintain the alternator tensioner mount and a plate for the york.
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG

some pics from underneath.

The exhaust was tight up front but there was just enough space. Randy sent a traction bar with the 40 which you can see in the pics. It made a huge difference in drivability with the reduction of axle wrap.
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG

Excellent pics from underneath just what I needed to see. Nice work. Your running stock wheelbase or is your rear axle moved back at all?

Well done conversion, looks very professional. Would love to know how it drives and what mpg you get.

Its running totally stock. Should be lots of room to turn it up with the 3" straight through exhaust. Cooling seems to be working pretty well too.

Ill leave that stuff up to Randy for later. No pyrometer or boost gauge on it currently.

Vids look great!

Where do you think the engine noise level falls in along the rpm ranges between the FJ62 13B-T, FJ60 12H-T and my 62 HZ?

Did you do any cabin noise level checks with your phone? I want to say the HZT is somewhere in the low 80db at highway speeds at the tail end of mystery rattle noise range, but am not sure where I was in the sound deadening process at the time.

heat might work to remove the rubber flooring.
nothing is ever as easy as it seems, eh?
your doing a good job, congrats.
Dry ice will work better.
back with more updates. Holidays and waiting for parts...

Had a local shop make up some driveshafts. This cruiser is SOA and had stock 78 40 driveshafts (modified for length). For the new shafts we started out with late 60 series front shafts. The 60 fronts have a longer spline and since they are on the front used shafts/splines are usually in good shape. Went with a double joint on the rear due to angles and length.
Damn those are purdy.

Here is Kate. This is a 78 FJ40 built up by the late Butch Lewis and currently belongs to PacToy. In the coming weeks this 40 will be getting a 12HT and 5 speed. Ill post more later in the week.

Wow, Butch is a legend in the cruiser world. I remember his posts on pirate, very kind person.

Nice project, top notch work:beer:

Rob

Time to dig up an old thread.

How's the truck drive? How are it's on- and off-road manners? MPG report? a 12HT is a direction I would very much like to take my 40 in, provided I could get my hands on one.

thanks!
--jeff

I havent heard from him in a while, but I dont think pactoy has seen it in person yet. Hes currently deployed. Last I heard the 40 was parked and his family liked driving the 80 he left there more than the 40....

Chris

any update did pactoy get back and drive this thing??

Time to dig up an old thread.

How's the truck drive? How are it's on- and off-road manners? MPG report? a 12HT is a direction I would very much like to take my 40 in, provided I could get my hands on one.

thanks!
--jeff

Sorry for the delay.

-1 Scary power! Doesn't stop in 5th gear if you mash it. Speedo maxed out and an un-nerving speed shimmy.

-2 typical SOA with a hard top. It has the expected roll.

- 3 I can not be honest with this one. Too much fun with the skinny peddle to the floor.

I havent heard from him in a while, but I dont think pactoy has seen it in person yet. Hes currently deployed. Last I heard the 40 was parked and his family liked driving the 80 he left there more than the 40....

Chris

I have and I drove it all over Florida with my lady. The 80 has it's place, but the 40 is all that and then some. Good Stuff, Chris! And, you know that. You did a GREAT job!

yup, we're still stuck with him here!

:beer:

Dude, you painted your toe nails. We're stuck with you!

Here is your beer back!

:beer:+:beer:=:beer::beer:

any update did pactoy get back and drive this thing??

Yes, and she is sitting in a warehouse in Callahan, Fl. I'am sure I am looking to sell the lot this summer.

Excellent work! Ive done the same conversion 7 years ago and am still loving it. Great engine.
Have you had any issues with the front axel and the weight of the 12ht? I've bent 2 axels so far , one of them was reinforced, and I'm a conservative driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom