My Trailer Build Plan W/Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:clap:
I agree, looking very trailerish right now.:lol:

Axle came today but it appears UPS tore the shrink wrap that the springs perches were wrapped in to the axle. Ugh. Now I have to get ahold of the axle guys & wait for more perches to be delivered. Still trying to find some used tires & wheels.

Any downside to mounting axle o top of leaf springs as opposed to under them? W/22" tall sides & sitting on 33" tires, & me only being 5'8", I'd like to have it sit lower than the spring under unless there's any drawbacks.

Nothing lost except ride height -- and that's what you need. That's how the Canadians set up the M101 CDN and I think all US 1/4 tons started that way, too.

A bump stop on the frame above the axle might be a good idea.

Got the spring perches today but it's about 100* right now so probably wait till Saturday morning to mount the axle. STILL need tires & wheels. Looking like I'll have to break down & buy new, which will add about $600 to the cost of the build. Wasn't planning on that! Also need to decide on the tongue coupler so I'll be able to move this thing around. Bulldog doesn't make one to go on 2.5" so I tossed that idea awhile back. Can't stand creaks/rattles/clunks @ all so I guess the pintle is out. Only options left are the Lock-N-Roll & the Maxx Coupler (both are ~$250). I'll have more in tires, wheels & coupler than the rest of the whole damn trailer! Today I ordered some Klean Strip Prep-All to strip all the oil residue off the trailer before I prime/paint. Just going to use spray paint so touch up will be easy. We won't be camping again until the weather cools off (around late September or early October) so not in a rush to complete trailer but I'd like to get it road worthy.

I'll have more in tires, wheels & coupler than the rest of the whole damn trailer!

If it makes you feel any better, it should balance out by the time you buy the water tank,pump,heater,bed frame and storage compartments,RTT etc.:beer:

IF the wall of the 2.5" square tube tongue is 1/4" you could step down to a 2" slider after you hog out the weld seam on the inside. Then you can use a hitch pin to attach the trailer side of the coupler. I do this for ease of swapping coupler types, but also to make it harder to steal.

IF the wall of the 2.5" square tube tongue is 1/4" you could step down to a 2" slider after you hog out the weld seam on the inside. Then you can use a hitch pin to attach the trailer side of the coupler. I do this for ease of swapping coupler types, but also to make it harder to steal.
It is 3/16" & I reinforced the end. I can slide the shaft w/my ball on it into the tubing. :)eek:) What is the piece called that the ball mounts on that slides into a receiver hitch? A hitch plug or shaft or???

If it is at all a sloppy fit you won't like it on the trail and it will wear fast. If the fit is good then personally I'd go for it. If the fit is sloppy, but this is a direction that you want to go then I'd suggest buying some receiver tube and adding it to the front of the tongue (shortened as desired) with both an internal sleeve plug-welded in place and some external plates. Seat of the pants I'd estimate that neither the sleeve or the plates need to be any thicker than 1/8", and I would definitely not make the sleeve and the plates the same length.

I've always called them a "slider" but I'm pretty sure that's not their correct name.

It is 3/16" & I reinforced the end. I can slide the shaft w/my ball on it into the tubing. :)eek:) What is the piece called that the ball mounts on that slides into a receiver hitch? A hitch plug or shaft or???

2½" receiver stock drilled and modified to bolt 2" into. My multi axis coupler replaces the bolt in hitch.

IMG_3566.JPG

If it is at all a sloppy fit you won't like it on the trail and it will wear fast. If the fit is good then personally I'd go for it. If the fit is sloppy, but this is a direction that you want to go then I'd suggest buying some receiver tube and adding it to the front of the tongue (shortened as desired) with both an internal sleeve plug-welded in place and some external plates. Seat of the pants I'd estimate that neither the sleeve or the plates need to be any thicker than 1/8", and I would definitely not make the sleeve and the plates the same length.

I've always called them a "slider" but I'm pretty sure that's not their correct name.
My plan is to get whatever coupling I'm going to get and
weld it to the outside, or inside, of the tongue tubing to eliminate slop. I can also use a large bolt for reinforcement if need be.

My plan is to get whatever coupling I'm going to get and
weld it to the outside, or inside, of the tongue tubing to eliminate slop. I can also use a large bolt for reinforcement if need be.

I welded 2 ½" nuts on the inside the 2" and used 2 bolts on the outside to eliminate any slop in pic above.

Got axle mounted up today, hubs installed and a $25 2 wheel Jack from HF. The Jack was an impulse buy as I needed a way to move it around as soon as I get tires/wheels and I had a coupon to get the Jack for $25 instead of $45. It'll work for now. Threw my spare tire/wheel on it just to get a sense of how tall it'll be and how it'll look. The top rail is exactly 4' tall with the 33" tire. Luckily it turned out perfect for me to mount spring under axle. Waiting on an estimate for new tires/wheels. Going to do fenders after I get the tires/wheels so I can mount the fenders properly. Is 4" enough between top of tire and bottom of fender?
AE1CECCB-6C40-4AD9-9EF8-F25C76101065.jpg

9BD7C21C-719C-4F33-BD31-F72DA9BA97A5.jpg

DEF9BB5F-865C-45F2-9407-CAA8BD58D6E4.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, these pics make it more obvious how deep your bed is. So long as reach-in works for you, that's a good thing. That's the only drawback to the mil 1/4 tons I see, they're not as deep as could be for camping, hauling firewood, etc, because the military is oriented toward hauling dense heavy stuff like ammo and water.

I *think* 4" is enough fender clearance. I have 3" on mine with 33s on. That said, your springs have a higher arch and depending on their specs/rated capacity may travel more than the relatively flat-arched springs on my trailer.

I would make certain any lip on the fender is beyond where it would contact the tread at full stuff.

Ordered a new tire & wheel yesterday. I'll use the spare that's on there now w/the 1 new set until I NEED to get the other new tire/wheel. Getting new tires/wheels are making my build cost go up significantly. Trying to build an awesome trailer but also not piss off the :princess: is proving difficult! I'm going to put the new tires on my truck & take tires from my truck & put on trailer. The tires on the truck are in really good condition but I'd rather put the new on the truck. When I get the tires mounted then I can start on the fenders, side steps, Jerry can mounts, front rack for cooler, etc.

Ordered a new tire & wheel yesterday. I'll use the spare that's on there now w/the 1 new set until I NEED to get the other new tire/wheel. Getting new tires/wheels are making my build cost go up significantly. Trying to build an awesome trailer but also not piss off the :princess: is proving difficult! I'm going to put the new tires on my truck & take tires from my truck & put on trailer. The tires on the truck are in really good condition but I'd rather put the new on the truck. When I get the tires mounted then I can start on the fenders, side steps, Jerry can mounts, front rack for cooler, etc.

Try building a trailer with 345 75 16 BFG KM2s with custom backspace wheels.... 510$ per side... OUCH!

Try building a trailer with 345 75 16 BFG KM2s with custom backspace wheels.... 510$ per side... OUCH!
I couldn't do that w/out a divorce! Those are high priced big meats! Got any pics?

I have a set of 5 for my 60 and I'm in WAIT to buy the 2 trailer tires and wheels to match until the end of the build.

I have a stagnant build thread on the trailer in this section somewhere... probably a few pages back.

Here are a couple shots with a set of 80 wheels and 36 Swampers on it.. Last pic is where it sits now.

J

P1000049.JPG
P1000054.JPG
DSCF2690.JPG
DSCF2691.JPG

Got 1 wheel today, tire should be here tomorrow. It will roll on it's own Thursday! Won't be able to pull it though, don't have a trailer tongue coupler yet. Going to check the Texas Hunters Extravaganza show on the 16th & see if there's any Max Coupler vendors there. If not, I'll order one online. Can't make up my mind on how I want to do the fenders. Probably just end up doing it like Box Rocket did.

Ordered 13" wide fenders & Max Coupler today. She'll be going down the road next week!!!! Not finished but useable.

Max Coupler is backordered from everywhere. Should be here next week, hopefully.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom