Toyota 78 pop up roof (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_0638.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG

Thanks for the comments guys
I am traveling abroad at present , so can't add any new pic.
Just some quick replies ,
Bed platform is 15 mm thick , and is mad of honeycomb aluminum panel .
It is very stiff and holds 2 adult persons without bending at all.
Also very light , easy to lift and pull down due to the hydraulic Pistons.
It has been upholstered with a knitted fabric in order to have some touch comfort and reduce and condensation area.plain aluminum would have been too metal look and light reflecting and not nice to touch .
Plus

Plus the bare aluminum would have been also very slippery for the bed materass.

Bye Renago

The water set up is very handy , I have it since aprox 10 years.
Very simple , got the side water tanks inside the car panels , they hold aprox 36 +36 L.
Connect them to a pump , and to a distribution system.
A 12 mm pipe goes to the rear door ,with water tap and soap.
The system can also suck water from lake ,well bucket .
Or I have a side water point for shower
Super nice .
As soon as I am home will post more pic of this setup.

As soon as I am home will post more pic of this setup.

great and thanks! No rush for me, enjoy using her as intended! I'm particularly interested in that rotating water fitting, how you did your filler points, the setup of the flexible hose going into the door from the body, what volume pump and where you placed the pump in you system... not too much to ask! :)

I've had a number of ideas on how to do mine, but if your's is field tested for 10 years, then i reckon you must have a good system by now with plenty of pressure and no leaks.

Thanks Pete , I forgot of the previous edit on water system .
@ Damienperu , the pump has a 12 L / min flow, sufficient for washing things and making a shower.
Not for washing the car, but was not intended for that.
Bigger pump flow are aviAble ,but will result in a wast of water.
No filter system , because if you use tap water ,generally there is no need .
If you use river -lake water the system sucks the water and I use a simple filter at the beginning of the hose.
For sanitizing water , I add some drops of Micropur, that is a very efficient silver ion liquid.
Leaks , this was an issue at the beginning, after some trips I fixed all joints .
I found that the best joints were air pressure tubes in Rislan , with quick joint system.
Don't use the very flexible Rislan tubes , they are flexible ,but due to this feature they tend to generate some leaks under pressure.
Depending where you go ,and aviablity of water you could eventually simplify the system in avoiding the 3 valve ,pump -suck .
If only pump, so you save the 3 valve and many many joints . 9 joints.
General rule ,more joints more leak possibilities.
As soon as I return home I will make more pictures of details of the water system.
I looks that my water systems gets more interest then the pop up roof .

Bye Renago

I'd say they are equally interesting due to your underlying build philosophy of well made functionality based on usage and experience rather than the more common approach of buying stuff without and installing it without having actually experienced the need for it.

Pete

Hi all , and thanks for the likes and nice comments.
I find that if you buy standard stuff , you end up with a highly inefficient use of the space.
Especially if you are out in the nowhere for 3-4 weeks.
Plus the cost of standard stuff is not cheap, compared to the quality they sell.
Of course designing, making your own set up is very time consuming , and not cheaper , but you should end up with what you desire.
This is my 4th expedition set up , so I have done some trial and fail experience.

For those who wanted a look to the water pipe from the car to the back door
image.jpg

Bye Renago

Great build. From initial thoughts of 'oh god, he's cut the roof off, you came a long way quickly. The quality of your work would make some of our local camper conversion companies sit up and take notice. Aluminium's got to be far better than fibreglass for your roof work. Looking forward to seeing what else you do.

DSC_0026_9.JPG DSC_0026_9.JPG DSC_0007_11.JPG DSC_0053_4.JPG DSC_0059_4.JPG DSC_0007_11.JPG G'Day everyone. I'm new to IH8MUD, although I've been looking in from time to time to see what good ideas are out there. I can see that there are a few threads about Troopy conversions, and I thought people might be interested in the one I recently had done. Here in Australia we get the LC70 Troop Carrier, or Troopy, with the 4.5lt V8 Turbo diesel. As did out Italian friend here, we had operated for a while with a roof top tent and a basic fit out in the back, with a dual battery system, 180w solar panel and regulator, an 80lt fridge and 60lt of drinking water. However, set up and pack away time for the roof top tent was becoming a pain if we were moving each day. We decided to have the roof cut off and have a pop top of some design fitted. There are surprisingly few options for a purpose built conversion for the Troopy available in Australia, especially if you rule out the various people who say that they can "make a Toyota Hi-Ace top fit". We found one guy in Melbourne who does great work, but offers a vertical rising pop top. The downside of the vertical pop top is lost roof load capacity, plus storage space is consumed by bedding when you're not actually sleeping. A guy in Sydney does a "European style" flip roof, again he does great work and enjoys an enviable reputation for quality. The flip top has the advantage of allowing for some loading of equipment and luggage on the roof as well as being able to keep bedding in place even with the roof down. The Sydney option lost its appeal when we were told that the vehicle would need to be with them for a few weeks - not a few days. A company in Perth, Quick Pitch Campers, offers a "European style" flip top as well, however, they offer a kit which is made in South Africa by Alu-Cab. Quick Pitch is the Australian agent for Alu-Cab. Fitting time is very quick, 1 day with 48 hours for the bonding adhesive to cure and set. The Goldilocks part of the Perth option was the speed of the conversion, but the total inclusions that come with the kit really was the icing on the cake. For slightly less than the Sydney option the Alu-Cab kit comes painted to match my vehicle, has three LED interior lights, two LED reading lights on flexible arms in the sleeping area, 25mm thick roof insulation, fit and finish to the interior trim and a very handy overhead shelf above the sun visors in the front. Watching the first cut into the roof was a gut wrenching moment of panic - after which the whole process was underway and there was no turning back.

AlanofOz - Very neat to see your rig. Best thing to do is start your own thread, introduce yourself and
what you have done to your truck. Leave this thread to the fellow that started it. Saves on confusion,
and you will get better response. J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom