FJ45LV in New Zealand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took the front seats out and the front floors and much better than expected

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437964041.806465.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437964067.463952.jpg

Turns out it has an oil bath air filter which was a surprise. How do they work?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437964080.756541.jpg

And is this the oil filter? Are replacements available or do u pull it apart? Or modern replacements?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437964095.782590.jpg

I would give every bolt you can find a good dose of WD40 over the next few weeks before attempting to undo anything

I would give every bolt you can find a good dose of WD40 over the next few weeks before attempting to undo anything

Yea went through two cans of CRC this morning although the ones have undone so far have been fine.......but expecting worse

Right, got her running today after swapping plug leads and cleaning the distributor up. Starts well now but needs and oil change
and a carb rebuild. Can anyone tell me the model of carb I have/point me in a direction of a kit?
IMG_2804.JPG

The fuel pump works and she was idling off the gas in the tank, which was good as the OP thought that was the starting problem. Also blew a break line and the clutch slave is leaking. What would be the size of the hard lines and fittings? Going to have to run new hard lines.

Are clutch slave, break/clutch master rebuild kits available? Or is it worth replacing them, if so likely replacement size?

IMG_2806.JPG

Right, got her running today after swapping plug leads and cleaning the distributor up. Starts well now but needs and oil change
and a carb rebuild. Can anyone tell me the model of carb I have/point me in a direction of a kit?
View attachment 1113291

The fuel pump works and she was idling off the gas in the tank, which was good as the OP thought that was the starting problem. Also blew a break line and the clutch slave is leaking. What would be the size of the hard lines and fittings? Going to have to run new hard lines.

Are clutch slave, break/clutch master rebuild kits available? Or is it worth replacing them, if so likely replacement size?

View attachment 1113292

Congrats! There's nothing quite like hearing it run for the first time.

It appears to me that the sight glass on the carb is in upside down. I bought a carb rebuild kit for mine from Cruiser Corps here in the states. I hope you have a closer option.

I do not think you can find rebuild kits for the clutch as my search for one came up empty. I ended up getting replacement master and slave cylinders from JT Outfitters. Again, I hope you have a closer option.

I suspect most people would suggest that you take this opportunity to upgrade the brakes from the single circuit it came with. A PO of my LV cut into the bracket between the brake and clutch masters and installed a 60 series booster and master cylinder. Do your own research but since you'll be replacing all the hard and soft lines, I'd recommend doing a disc brake conversion for the front while you are there.

If you're gonna go the disc route, don't junk any of that early stuff. There's a bloke I know in WA that would love anything early for his resto.

Any suggestions on where to start? I have got a bit lost this week, stripped a few parts out and have been tidying up. Thinking of taking the body off and sorting the chassis first, getting rid of the rust, new bushes, u bolts, reco diffs, run new break lines, paint.....am I heading on the right track?

I'd get it driving. The lure of the nut and bolt resto is gravitational in it's power, but often ends in tragedy - not always in the classifieds section with projects for sale, sometimes with a roller coaster ride instead of a pleasurable one. Get it functional by doing one system at a time. Engine, then brakes, then electrical, then interior, then WOF. Then drive it a while. Then consider body. My 2c

Have a read of JackA's -After KOH build. The way he went about breaking it up into little projects that got his LV progressively better is a good way to go and might provide some good reference photo's, and the scenic photography is pretty good too.

Cults suggestion is the way many people (including myself) tackle these things. It allows you to determine if you really need to do things or whether you want to do them. Also limits the "while I'm in there" factor.

I'd get it driving. The lure of the nut and bolt resto is gravitational in it's power, but often ends in tragedy - not always in the classifieds section with projects for sale, sometimes with a roller coaster ride instead of a pleasurable one. Get it functional by doing one system at a time. Engine, then brakes, then electrical, then interior, then WOF. Then drive it a while. Then consider body. My 2c

This is a good way to go. So many LV builds die on the vine.

Drive it. Do it in chunks that u can handle or it will b ten years later. Brakes I swapped a firewall and everything at once. But I had a lot of parts lying around and a ten year down time

Yeah but does the chassis need blasting and painting?

Nice Find:smokin: Being an import from Aus may be the only one or one of very few in NZ :cool:

Room switch is for interior lights. Notice it still has the ultra rare under dash light :smokin: should have lights on door pillars as well.

Vacuum tank would be for the aftermarket VH40 brake booster that is fitted just below and slightly left of brake master cylinder

would say hub caps are original the rear cap appears to have the acorn / T on it in the first and third pics of the first post.

Whats under the vinyl covers on your seats mine had similar covers which were hiding the original trim. rear seat was almost mint front had a couple of splits on stitch seams.
Also notice yours has just the plain board door trims like mine. vinyl covered ones must be a US thing.

Engine in mine. 1966 model. is an F135 stock right down to the plug leads

i love startup day! well done. hey show us the rust; we all love pics. im jealous as; never really seen a 45v in the flesh myself.

now shes 'running' be mad not to just plumb some hydraulics and water and go for a sneaky run out of the way somewhere...bit of a last hurray for the old girl before her new reincarnation. all that stuff's available esp if you can run a hone and don't have much money. from memory the clutch master is the same as the brake master kit (available) but less a few bits. wheel cyl kits available though I normally buy loose buckets at my brake shop. shoes/drums yea fix them before you drive to Darwin etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom