Seeking Information on OME/Ironman/Dobinsons Springs for BJ70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BJ70CMCC2010YellowJacket.jpg
Note: I was late in requesting specs on Terrain Tamer suspension (which Ward provided promptly upon request). I have added this information below with the OME/Ironman/Dobinsons/Terrain Tamer data.

I need to replace the leaf springs on my BJ70 (1986). The truck is equipped with a bullbar up front and extra duty rear bumper (with swing out tire carrier), plus rock sliders below the rocker panels. So on a daily basis, she is carrying a few hundred pounds of extra weight. Adding to this when I go off the pavement in the mountains; I carry tools and parts plus a CO2 tank. This adds more weight to the load (+200 lbs as a guess).

These considerations lead me to the conclusion that heavy duty springs are what I should select as replacements. The following springs (available in the USA) appear to fit the criteria

[Front Springs]

Old Man Emu: CS006F (per sales data: 51 to 110 Kg in accessories)

Ironman: TOY008B (per sales data: 50mm raised height, 0-100Kg in accessories)

Dobinsons: HJ75-8L-F (per sales data: 45mm raised height, 60-100Kg in accessories)

Terrain Tamer: TLC013HD (per sales data: 50mm raised height, 100Kg in accessories)

[Rear Springs]

Old Man Emu: CS004RA(RB) (per sales data: 200Kg in constant load)

Ironman: TOY007BN/S (per sales data: 50mm raised height, 0-200Kg in constant load)

Dobinsons: HJ61-7L-R (RH/LH) (per sales data: 150kg in constant load)

Terrain Tamer: TLC010D/P SHD (RH/LH) (per sales data: 50mm raised height, 275Kg in constant load)

I have searched for comparisons of how these springs perform, but could not find useful information. Since this is the 70 series users forum, many readers and contributors here maybe running these springs now or in the past. If you have, I would appreciate hearing about your experience with them.

Thanks for your input and help.

Last edited:
I would add that Terrain Tamer springs are also available in the IS. I will be watching this thread with interest as well.

Probably all good quality springs listed above although we did have problems with new Dobinson springs sagging unevenly out here a few years back I don't know if it was a bad batch or an on-going problem there were a lot of complaints about both their leaf and coil springs, I've personally only ever used Old Man Emu heavy duty springs in my 70 series cruiser and are very impressed with their articulation and load bearing performance, after 12 years the front springs are still holding up my ARB bar and PTO winch the same as the day I installed them, I cant remember the part numbers but they were the 50mm lift heavy duty springs (I think they have the extra leaf installed)

18_G_sized.jpg

What springs are on the truck now? Have you bought leaf springs for any vehicle before, or used these brands for suspension on any other vehicle you've had?

What springs are on the truck now?

They are OME that the previous owner installed. He did not define exactly what series, but I expect that they were medium duty (comfort ride) because they would come close to flattening out with a basic load of tools & parts ready for the mountains. ~8 years ago, I modified the rear springs with an Add-a-Leaf. This helped a lot for several years, but she has been settling noticeably more for the last few years when loaded. Three weeks ago at CMCC; after one day on the trails, the right rear spring was flat against the frame. Jacked her up so the spring fully extended and then eased her back down. The spring promptly laid flat against the frame. Once I got home and completely unloaded the truck, I jacked her up again to fully extend the spring and the spring stayed up with the shackle only about 30-40 degrees past vertical. She stayed up with no load (beyond accessories).

With regard to lift kits that I have sourced and installed for my own use [cradle to grave involvement]; They were on my FJ40 and were from SOR (sort of a house brand). They met the driving criteria at the time ... replacement of flat springs yielding ~2-3 inchs of lift over stock which fit within the limited budget I was allotted at the time by the bride. These SOR springs were a challenging choice because they wound up requiring different shims (for caster correction and driveline vibration) as the springs broke in, so there was a lot of work and adjustment to keep this lift properly performing.
Plus, I have also installed kits on several friends trucks (40s, a 60, Tacoma & 4runner) as I recall. They selected the kits based on their needs, then I installed (or helped them install) the kits.

Is that the kind of information that you were trying to surface with your second question?

Thanks

That's a lot of info! I was wondering what you're using now and how long they lasted. You could count the amount of springs in the pack to get a rough idea of what has been done to it in the past but that would still be some guess work perhaps.

You definitely got a lot of years out of that last set you had. Making the right spring with the correct load rating is vital.

I've only ran OME but this bj74 is only a year old for me. It rides really well. I have cs006f in the front and cs017ra and cs017rb in the rear. Front might need an extra leaf since I recently added a winch and was bottoming out a bit in the front last weekend on some big bumps on dirt roads.

I'm waiting on an Ironman set up.

It's been months since ordered.

I have no idea when it is going to get here.

:(

I'm waiting on an Ironman set up.

It's been months since ordered.

Is this due to a back order situation or just the reality of shipping time to get the components here? Thanks

G'day,
In Australia the OME gear is made by King Spring to OME specs. It think they may also make the Ironman and I'm not sure about the Terrain Tamer. I'm not sure how it is in the USA or Canada, don't know if they are made there or imported. My point is, you might be paying more for the same item by another name. So might pay to have a look into that. Also in Australia, all four are reputable names and you only hear something about them on forums if someone has a problem. Those that don't have any issues usually don't have anything to complain about so say nothing and just drive with a smile on their dial. So I'd be a little cautious about thinking something is no good just because someone says so on a forum page and I'm not saying that to upset anyone I just think that all things and sources on information should be considered.

D.T.

I can vouch for Dobinsons, Glen is semi-retired now with his two sons running the place and they've forgotten more about springs, especially leaf springs, than most people will ever know.

I put dobinsons front and SSA rear springs into my brother's BJ74, and based on that, put the same spring in the front of my truck and a dobinson's in the rear after extensive discussion with Glen. It isn't his usual BJ74 pack, instead it was something he'd previously made for a customer in europe. On that note, I've just added a bunch more weight to my truck (kaymar, 185-190L of fuel capacity, drawers) and need to give the boys a call back, Glen told me that when I put it in that he was confident we could tweak my pack to make it work well for me.

Top product, top customer service. If I had to pick one short-coming, their paint finish isn't as smooth as some of the competitors, but that isn't really my main concern.

I have Dobos on the front of my BJ74 and they work great, Obviously a lot smaller company than the likes of ARB but the quality is the same IMO.

What springs do you run on the rear? Would you mind summarizing why you did not opt to run Dobinsons on the front and rear? Thanks

What springs do you run on the rear? Would you mind summarizing why you did not opt to run Dobinsons on the front and rear? Thanks

The rear already had raised springs, I guess a previous owner had set it up for towing, I was intending on spending money on other things like awning and winch etc and the rear sat ok as it was. But as the engine dramas I had cost me so much I didn't get much further than that, and I still am saving up for another engine, gear box and transfer case. I did fit new rear shocks they were monotube remote canister as it had OE shocks on the rear that were leaking.

The rear already had raised springs, I guess a previous owner had set it up for towing, I was intending on spending money on other things like awning and winch etc and the rear sat ok as it was. But as the engine dramas I had cost me so much I didn't get much further than that, and I still am saving up for another engine, gear box and transfer case. I did fit new rear shocks they were monotube remote canister as it had OE shocks on the rear that were leaking.

Thanks. Makes perfect sense ... why spend money on something that is not broken.

Glenn Dobinson finally got back from holidays so I could have a chat about my rear springs.

With the additional weight I've added in (kaymar, two spare 33" tyres on steel rims, 125L tank, drawers), we're going to try an additional two 6mm (that'd be 1/4" in your silly measurements) leaves. Should hopefully get it all installed and report back in the next three to four weeks.

Was a pleasure to deal with, still had all his notes from our original discussion in April on hand, top marks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom