1JZ VVTi 4Runner 4WD Buildup (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is an amazing build. Great job all around...especially making all the little things work for the most part.

No more blow-off.

All flutter:smokin:

I would rather have compressor surge and have a fully closed-loop system than have a vented blow-off valve.
I've witnessed competition turbo cars have no blow-off valves, be beaten hard, compressor surge constantly, and never replace a turbo. So I'm not worried about this until I get a proper re-circulating blow-off valve and real piping made. A lot of noobs seem to make too big of a deal out of blow-off valves...

Finally someone that understands this! I can't believe how hung up some people are on this. Good to see a 1jz in a surf. Done a 1uz into my surf.

Also what did you end up doing to your input shaft re the spigot bearing? Find a bush or turn the input down? Or nothing?haha

Ever get your tac to work? I might be able to offer some tips and tricks.

Thanks. Nice truck! I'm sure the V8 is just as much fun as this 6.

Pilot bearing is absent.

Not the wisest thing, likely. However, it's absent because I was ready to move forward with the build and was tired of trying to figure out something that (I had heard) wasn't entirely necessary..

The input shaft was trimmed 1/4" and roughly chamfered, so that it wouldn't bottom out in the back of the crank. Unless a guy wanted to make a bellhousing spacer (among other things); trimming would need to happen regardless of the pilot bearing situation. The AX15 input shaft is longer than the R154. The only reason to use the jeep parts is because it's easier to subtract material than it is to add it!

Not to mention jeep parts will subtract a lot less from your wallet...

All in all. The truck works fine.
I don't hear any noises from the housing area, or during clutch actuation, load, or anything. It has roughly 5000kms under it's belt.
And get this: my girlfriend has been the primary pilot and has been daily driving it for a couple months!

I can only imagine some guys going cross-eyed when they see/hear it hahaha.

Toast: Still no tach. What tips do you have? I'm a broke bastard and I haven't justified the tach adapter yet.

Last edited:
So the reason your tac jumps to 3k is someone removed your needle. The tac is preloaded and if removed with unwind to 3k. Start it up let it jump to 3k and while its holding, remove the needle and put it back on zero. If your tac doesn't function your most likely gonna need the MSD 8920. There's a few different styles of tacs; voltage triggered, modular trigger, ect, ect. Clearly you have power to your tac but I'm guessing you made sure your hooked up to the right signal wire. If you hook up your adapter and it doesn't work, run a ballast resistor inline with the red wire going to your tac (from the adapter).
Let me know what you come up with.

Cool thank you, I will try that when I get home in a few days. I have been working shift work in Alberta, 3 weeks on. Which is why my girl has been driving it... And which is why progress has slowed.

Gotta bring home the bacon, as my toddler nephew would say!

Should have a few good updates over the next week.

Hahaha money bacon.

Although, in Canada, we still call bacon bacon: bacon.

Canadian bacon is called Canadian bacon. It's good stuff, but bacon bacon is better lol.

Cheers man. As they say don't fix what ain't broke.

Could you not just swap in a tach from the V6 model 4 runner? Or did usdm not come V6?

That's how I got my tach working, just using a 4 cylinder one. As the 1uz has 2 igniters I just took a single signal now it thinks it's a 4 cylinder.

Hahaha money bacon.

Although, in Canada, we still call bacon bacon: bacon.

Canadian bacon is called Canadian bacon. It's good stuff, but bacon bacon is better lol.
Haha well I was just pulling your leg, but I learned something too. Can't wait to see more of the 'Runner when you get back to it.

Hahaha I knew you were joking!

About the tach- this truck was a V6 model to begin with, many were made in North America.
I had figured that the tach would work considering both are sixes.

I'm gonna try the tips that Toast brought up. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Here's a quick clip.

Before you ask; I'm not riding a chicken - Those are my legs :rimshot:
Furthermore; Never mind why I'm in my underwear.:moon:

Last edited:
I woulda cut that underwear scene out. :eek: Other than that, AWESOME! :D

Nice setup indeed. Would like to do the same on my cruiser later on once the engine is dead.
I know this isn't the right questions.. But do you have the fuel consumption figures for town / highway?

Thank you.

Which series cruiser do you have?

About the fuel consumption - not a bad question at all. It's been pretty good. Certainly better than a 3VZ or a 22R. It drinks about 11L/100kms on the highway. I don't really have an answer for the city, I am one of those people lucky enough to not have to drive in them everyday. My hunch tells me that it won't be too much worse. Likely a smaller gap between hwy/city mileage than the original setup. The single turbo and vvti working together make for a really usable powerband.

Also, I feel as if:

a) my crappy intercooler pipes with their small inside diameter.

and,

b) my bad TPS with it's mid-range sputter under load.

Are keeping this from being as efficient as it should be...

Operating only between 0%-5ish% throttle, on top of these inefficiencies; the truck still zips around WAY better than in factory form. It's easy to forget that a 1J is 500cc's smaller than a 3VZ, and only 100cc's larger than a 22R.

Definitely sheds the turtle shell that these trucks have been dragging around their whole lives.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1439266043.695460.jpg

So the reason your tac jumps to 3k is someone removed your needle. The tac is preloaded and if removed with unwind to 3k. Start it up let it jump to 3k and while its holding, remove the needle and put it back on zero.

Toast, I tried this, but to no avail. I just reset it to stay on zero to bug me less. Thanks anyways!

I'm sure I need a tach signal adapter.

Ordered my TPS finally! On the way up from the states. Can't wait to slap it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom