Sad Old Bantam? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found a sad old Bantam that is likely only good for a few parts. Any feedback on what is correct and what has been added/changed? Any opinions on value?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wheels, ball hitch, spare mount, etc are not OEM. Are the springs and axle original?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Two more
image.jpg
image.jpg

I believe the BT3C was made from after WWII until the earlier fifties. The C at the end of the model was because it's a civilian model sold to the public after WWII. The three hooks on the side, stake pockets, tailgate, no hand brake and ball hitch were different than the military versions. It would have had a 1 7/8" ball. That tube for a landing leg and tubes in the back of the bed are not stock. Early BT3C had 16" combat rims then just a sold 16" steel wheel. Not familiar with those springs but a two piece welded axle was stock. I have a Willys MBT 1/4 ton trailer which is their version of the Bantam 1/4 ton made during WWII. The springs are very soft compared to my Johnson Furnace M416. Someone with one of these would have a better idea if the were stock or replacements. The floor looks pretty solid but doesn't have ribs. Military versions had ribs. Not sure on civilian models. Doing a search on the bantam civilian trailers should give you more information.

It doesn't appear to have too much rust, could be a solid start to a off road trailer. The C channel frame looks like it needs help around the springs. If a person could do the repairs themselves might be worth a couple hundred dollars. If your having to pay someone I would pass and look for a better one. I don't have the welding skills but like working with bend metal. This one won't scare me off. Straighten the tailgate and repair the hinges, blast and paint it wouldn't look to bad.

I think the springs were modified...looks to me some pack was added, but looks kinda cobbed. I do like the tailgate though.

It's a hard balance between what's your time worth and what you'll ultimately end up with.

My take on it would be, keep looking.

It is almost comical how this has played out. I have been looking for a decent M416/101CDN/Bantam. Three weeks ago I bought a decent M416 and I'm working on correcting a few issues. The week after I bought the M416, another M416 popped up as well as a 101CDN. I had a hard time ignoring them. Then this sad old Bantam caught my eye and I thought it might be a flip candidate. Unfortunately the body is modified, smashed, and rusted. The tongue is not original at all, and the frame is rusted through in many spots. The overload leafs have also heavily damaged the frame. So I'm going to pass. Here is the current project:
image.jpg

Last edited:
PO cut the lunette off and bolted/welded a ball hitch on. So, I am building an entirely new extended hitch/mount/landing leg that bolts on like the original. The hitch casting and landing leg will likely be for sale soon. Then it needs a rewire. I put some LED brake lights into some old military auxiliary lights. Next will be a redo of the tailgate. PO did a horrible job cutting it out and did not reinforce it in any way. Then I'll probably pull the body and have it blasted an go back to OD green.
image.jpg
image.jpg

you have a good little project that will reap lots of wonderful use for years to come. I had one M416 a few years ago and wish I had kept it but the money offer was to grate. I now have a TC3 that I will not give up no matter what, has been a good companion to my FJ45 in the back country and high deserts journeys. One thing I strongly suggest and this is my opinion, is if it does not have a lunette hitch, find one, I have wheeled in some deep ruts and precarious degree angle climes and the lunette on my TC3 is so forgiving compared to a 3" ball hitch.

Will do.

Near Hammond, LA. It sold quickly.

Look at you, Mr. Trailer Fixit Dude...:beer:

Congrats Lash...glad you finally found one!

SLOW!

Tailgate and hinges are mostly fabbed. I am going to change the drop leg I built to be height adjustable. The spare is underneath the body and in front of the axle. A little welding and brackets to bolt the 80 spare crossmember to the frame at the side rails is still needed. At some point I will have to declare modifications complete. Then it will be torn down, stripped/wire wheeled/blasted, painted and reassembled.

Building armor on my 40 has taken priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom