Seeking Tacoma advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I hope I am posting this in the correct section. Im looking at a 2006 Tacoma that my neighbor is selling. It was his work truck and has been sitting for about three years. It has 246K on the engine and the frame is rusty, but not horrible.

I may be able to get it for about $3K. He does not use it any longer and has sold his construction company. Im fully aware there may be issues due to it sitting idle for 3 years. What would you guys recomend I look into as far as needs to be repairs for being idle? Im waiting in the service records he has.

For this price is it worth the possible funds that may be needed to be put into it? KBB puts the value around $8,500 private sale.

Any feedback always appreciated.

4wd? Access cab? It's a bit curious why he parked it and let it sit for 3 years - may be indicative of an issue?

If he can produce a service history that shows he took care of it when he had it, then maybe it'd be a deal for $3000. But if it's been abused and neglected before it was parked, then I probably wouldn't want it.

As far as sitting, I guess you could drain the tank and put some fresh gas in it. The injectors might be gummed up, the brake fluid probably needs to be flushed, and probably the coolant as well. Run some fresh gas with some fuel system/injector cleaner type stuff, put a fresh battery on it, fire it up and see what happens. I know I've read about the 4.0 V6 pushing 400k miles, so I don't think you're worn out by any means.

I'd also be concerned about it if it has just been sitting for a long time.
I'd be willing to bet that if it is an automatic equipped truck, the transmission might need a rebuild or replacement -this is NOT an inexpensive proposition!

Hi all,

Just a FYI, there may be a frame recall for that truck.

I got a notice from Toyota USA recently to bring my 2007 in for a frame inspection.

Good luck,

Alan

It's risky with the truck sitting that long. Modern vehicles don't take kindly to such neglect. It wouldn't take long to push the price up to the KBB of a running vehicle with some repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom