best way to route back-up camera wire & where to put GPS antenna? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
overlooking the Mississippi River @ Memphis
GPS antenna currently is just sitting on top of the head unit with a small piece of double side tape... it actually seems to work well here... Is it best to route the back up camera wire through the console and then under the carpet to the rear and then? on top of receiver hitch best place for camera? if i have to drill a hole to get the camera wire outside the truck is it just as good to do it up front and then route the wire under the truck? my LC has 2 radio antennas the front one and I'm told one in the rear drivers side glass? would it help at all to tape the unused end up front to the gps antenna ?
thanks in advance for any help
p

Route the camera cable under the carpet at the sills, and then behind the jack and either out at the bottom through a rubber grommet you'll find there (for bumper mount), or (up) into the rubber duct to the upper or lower door (liftgate or ..).

I can't find the perfect mouting place for a camera, but I have mine under the liftgate, between the licence lights. That gives a view of the trailer hook and a few meters back, but not the bumper corners. In the bumper you get a good view backwards, but not the corners, and the trailer hitch will be straight on and not so easy to use for reversing into. At the top of the tailgate you have a better view for reversing, but can't see the actual trailer hitch ball. Conclusion: You need at least three cameras, or maybe only a quadcopter which will launch automatically.

For the gps antenna, just put it where it can see as much of the sky as possible, with as little metal as possible in the way. Taping the radio antenna close will not help, as the gps signals behave more like microwave, and travels only straight lines through the air. A radio antenna is the wrong vehicle altogether.

My camera mounts in the driver side license plate light hole in the hatch (replaces the OEM light and has it's own light) and I routed the wires up through the lift gate, through the rubber tube thing at the top where the wire harness goes through and then across and inside the top of the body frame over the hatch opening and down the passenger side frame to the floor, then up under the carpeting to the front passenger side. You'd be surprised at what you can fit through that rubber thing if you lube it up good with silicone grease and pull it through with another piece of wire!!
Have fun!

Thanks for the info. Getting organized to install a camera and head unit in my 1998 LC.
The link above does not work. Anyone have a copy of the instructions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom