Morris Mule Trailers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bloomer

SILVER Star
Threads
Just past the middle of nowhere in South Texas
Curious if anyone has experience with the Morris Mule trailers? I'm considering the heavier duty one (trail rated) for a RTT camping trailer. In terms of cost, I think I've narrowed it down to one of these or a ground up build project. Honestly, I don't have the time for a build project and would like to just purchase a trailer. But, it needs to be reasonable priced and reasonably durable (would like to have an Adventure trailer but they are just out of my budget for this).

Any feedback on the Morris Mule trailers would be appreciated. Also curious about their torsion bar suspension and what folks think about it.

Thanks!

A link for those so inclined:
http://morrismule.com/index.html

I like what I see. Simple, more or less modern version of a M416/M101CDN. Not the same shape, but the same applications.

The Dexter Torflex axle used on the Trail Grade trailer is a good part. I have no worries about the one under our TrailBlazer trailer. If Baja type washboard roads are in your future then you probably want to add some shocks, but other than that, run it.

How does their pricing compare?

Thanks. I've looked at their website previously and have had the opportunity to talk directly with Morris. He seems like a good guy interested in making a good product. Hope he doesn't mind me sharing the pricing....want to say the lighter duty trailer with 12 inch rims is in the $3100 range and the trail rated version with 15 inch rims is in the $3600 range. I'm sure there are various options available that will affect price. Trying to work something out for the HIH (100's in the Hills foe those who don't spend time in the 100 series forum) trip in August. So, if you're interested in seeing one, feel free to PM me as we get closer and I'll let you know if I've picked one up.

my name is jeremy and i am the welder at Morris Mule. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. if you want an adventure trailer, i assure you our trailer will follow you on any adventure you could think of. and with the torsion bar axle there is no need for shocks.

Bloomer did you get one?

No. I ended up with a M416 equipped with a RTT. I was really interested in a Morris, but none where local for me to see and I've been burned buying things sight unseen. I found this M416 and it seemed to fit my needs (and price was right).

image.jpg image.jpg

That's a nice looking setup! Now that I've got the '99 loaded down with bumpers, winches, tire carries, sliders, etc. I'm really wishing I'd have held out for an 03 or 06+ MY. Would be nice to get a small trailer like that. We did our first fully loaded, week long trip with the whole crew a few months ago over spring break, 4 camp setups in 7 days. It takes us a while to setup and breakdown camp so I'm not particularly looking forward to the 10-12 setup/teardowns on our CO/HIH/UT trip next month!

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a long drive out from PA. I remember as a kid driving from Utah to Va Beach and thinking the drive would never end. We drove upto Ouray last summer for HIH from South Texas with all our camping gear, food, supplies, and luggage all in the land cruiser. It was a pretty tight fit for three people. That was the main driving force behind getting the trailer this year. I was fortunate the PO just did most of the resto on the trailer before my purchase. I do need new wheels before the HIH trip this year. And, while the wheel bearings where just done, (although I think it is unwarranted) I'm a little apprehensive about running 70 - 80 mph for the entire trip. A new axle would be nice, but the list to prepare for the trip is already long. Guess we'll see ya out in Ouray.

My name is Jerry and we are the dealer for Morris Mule trailers in Colorado and surrounding states. We have trailers in stock if anyone wants to come by and put your hands on them. All American Trailers, Commerce City, CO.

I bought one somewhat recently and based on experience I wish I would have built my own but it likely depends on your specific needs. FWIW the trail model runs closer to $4600 with spare tire and I have found nearly it portly adaptable or customizable to nearly everything that attaches to the outside. The bar design did not accommodate my Pakmeiester tent (we had to modify ourselves); the bars interfere with bike handlebars on a hitch rack off the back; the stabilizer bars on the back had only one hole and didn't accommodate uneven terrain (despite buying the off-road version); and tub appears to be water right but when open they don't drain rainwater or spilled liquids; the spare tire in front interferes with anything you would want to add using a dual hitch adapter. All in all we had to do a lot of our own modifications, and I did not have a good experience with communications from Morris Mule. Not with the price point if you have to re-work so much. Better suited if you simply plan to haul your camping gear inside the trailer without attaching much otherwise.

I bought one somewhat recently and based on experience I wish I would have built my own but it likely depends on your specific needs. FWIW the trail model runs closer to $4600 with spare tire and I have found it to be not very adaptable or customizable to almost everything that I have tried to attach to the outside. The bar design did not accommodate my Pakmeiester tent (we had to modify ourselves); the bars interfere with bike handlebars on a hitch rack off the back; the stabilizer bars on the back had only one hole and didn't accommodate uneven terrain (despite buying the off-road version); and tub appears to be water right but when open they don't drain rainwater or spilled liquids; the spare tire in front interferes with anything you would want to add using a dual hitch adapter. All in all we had to do a lot of our own modifications, and I did not have a good experience with communications from Morris Mule. Not with the price point if you have to re-work so much. Better suited if you simply plan to haul your camping gear inside the trailer without attaching much otherwise.

Sorry... New to this site and having posting problems!

I bought the Morris Mulee trail model somewhat recently and based on experience to date I wish I would have built my own; the decision likely depends on your specific needs. FWIW the trail model runs closer to $4600 with spare tire and I have found it not very adaptable or customizable to almost everything I have tried to attach to the outside. The bar design did not accommodate my Pakmeiester tent (we had to modify ourselves); the bars interfere with bike handlebars on a hitch rack off the back; the stabilizer bars on the back had only one hole and didn't accommodate uneven terrain (despite buying the off-road version); and the tub does appear to be water right but when open the tub tops don't drain rainwater or spilled liquids; the spare tire in front interferes with anything you would want to add using a dual hitch adapter. All in all we had to do a lot of our own modifications, and I did not have a good experience with communications fromMorris Mule. Not worth the price point if you have to re-work so much. Better suited if you simply plan to haul your camping gear inside the trailer without attaching much otherwise.

I bought one somewhat recently and based on experience I wish I would have built my own but it likely depends on your specific needs. FWIW the trail model runs closer to $4600 with spare tire and I have found nearly it portly adaptable or customizable to nearly everything that attaches to the outside. The bar design did not accommodate my Pakmeiester tent (we had to modify ourselves); the bars interfere with bike handlebars on a hitch rack off the back; the stabilizer bars on the back had only one hole and didn't accommodate uneven terrain (despite buying the off-road version); and tub appears to be water right but when open they don't drain rainwater or spilled liquids; the spare tire in front interferes with anything you would want to add using a dual hitch adapter. All in all we had to do a lot of our own modifications, and I did not have a good experience with communications from Morris Mule. Not with the price point if you have to re-work so much. Better suited if you simply plan to haul your camping gear inside the trailer without attaching much otherwise.
Just to set the record straight - I am the dealer who sold her this trailer. We have tried diligently, along with the manufacturer to try to address her concerns but she said it was too inconvenient to drive the 30 minutes to our shop to let us try to help her. The manufacturer offered to send out a new improved set of stabilizers, but she has refused. We can't fix a problem without a little cooperation from the customer. I guess she just prefers to be angry.

Just to set the record straight - I am the dealer who sold her this trailer. We have tried diligently, along with the manufacturer to try to address her concerns but she said it was too inconvenient to drive the 30 minutes to our shop to let us try to help her. The manufacturer offered to send out a new improved set of stabilizers, but she has refused. We can't fix a problem without a little cooperation from the customer. I guess she just prefers to be angry.
I did in fact buy my trailer from Jerry at All American Trailers and to clarify his record: 1) They only agreed to modify the bars that interfered with opening the tent, which we had already hack sawed off since we noticed the interference within an hour of our inaugural camping trip departure; 2) yes, Morris Mule did offer new stabilizer bars AFTER we had drilled more holes to accommodate uneven terrain, which we had to do since Burt was entirely non-responsive to my communications for more than a FULL MONTH; 3) ALL other noted issues were ignored for the stated month and then dismissed as unimportant or things I could do myself if I really wanted them; 4) All American Trailer is in north Denver and I live in the southern suburb of Littleton (Google Maps: 33 miles & 59 miles WITHOUT traffic... EACH way, which would have had to be done TWICE since they asked me to leave it there overnight and I found this notably time-challenging since I travel for work 4-5 days/week).

Jerry... yes, I am angry... and despite that, every one of the noted concerns are balanced observations of trailer limitations prospective buyers may want to consider and I admittedly didn't. Thus, I'm sharing fairly... as you can read in my original post, I agree that there is a population suited to the Morris Mule. It wasn't for me, a serious backcountry adventurer with a lot of gear to handle, and I find it particularly unsuited to hauling bikes.

yes, I am angry
It wasn't for me
prospective buyers may want to consider and I admittedly didn't
Thus, I'm sharing fairly

Are you for real??? You clearly bought a trailer, didn't do your homework, screwed it up by cutting metal and drilling holes, got pissed, went on a smear campaign and yet somehow you still feel you are "sharing fairly". What you are dear, is called a "laughing stock" or some might say a "lunatic"!

First of all, let me back up and say "thanks Ih8mud, for accepting me as a member".

I only found this forum when a search for the previous review popped it up and I'm so glad I found "another of her postings".

As owner of one of the first Morris Mules produced, and because of the exemplary service I have had from my trailer and from the factory I almost feel like it is an obligation to respond.

I’ve had my tan Mule two and a half years and travelled around 30,000 mile with it in tow. Not one single road problem.

I called Morris (his first name touringgirl, not his last. Or perhaps you just routinely address people by barking last names).... anyway, I called him a number times with my purchase to make certain I had all my questions answered BEFORE I purchased my trailer. Not one single problem.

A year into my ownership, I traded an explorer for a great FJ Cruiser and called Morris to ask if I could bring it back to the shop so he could color match my new ride and worked around MY schedule to repaint and powder coat my lids white. In just three days (to accommodate ME) he had me ready to hit the road at a cost that I still believe to be unrealistically low. Again, not one single problem.
Morris has gone overboard in continuing to make sure that my Mule was my favorite toy. In the entire process he has extended to me a level of customer service that borders on friendship.

It is interesting that you have joined every forum where the Morris Mule was discussed and you've copied and pasted your nasty diatribe in an obvious effort to slam someone that simply does not deserve it. I've been so pleased to see so many others speaking up for him and his company.

Also interesting is the fact that the only post you have responded to is this one from the dealer. On the other blogs you have been routinely slammed and you have had no response to your off-roading peers who have overwhelmingly said you are wrong. My favorite is the guy who asked if you have every considered using a tape measure before you bought a trailer and tried to fit a RTT to it. Do you have any idea how silly you sound complaining that you had to cut a couple of pieces of metal and drill a couple of holes on these forums that are dominated by people who build, modify and service their off-road rigs.

I also noticed that Morris has taken the high road and refrained from getting in the mud with you which is exactly what I would have expected from him. He's just that kinda guy. I get the idea that you're most likely one of those that stumbles through the woods every couple of months leaving your trash while the back window of your Rav4 is covered up in environmentalist stickers and that you, "touringgirl" consider yourself to be the quintessential outdoors woman. You seem oblivious to the fact that everyone can see through your thinly veiled crap (yes, even your high end name dropping).

I seriously doubt that your motives are to "warn potential buyers". It's rather obvious that you are on an unjustified smear campaign and anyone that owns a mule or that has dealt with Morris simply won't buy your drivel.

Nice. I just checked out the website - MORRIS MULE TRAILER COMPANY - Home

The trailers have an Aussie No.5 or British Sankey military trailer flavour. I use an Aussie No. 5 so I'm not in the market for one of these, but for folks in North America, they are a cool alternative to the US and Canadian M416 style military trailers you see.

Nicely done Morris - I hope you don't mind if I steal some of your ideas for my No. 5 trailer ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom