Recommend a corded drill for general metal fab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cheapo B&D drill died. Time to buy another one. Most the things I find myself drilling are metal. Looking at the Dewalt DW245 because it is has a triple speed reduction and is mostly metal. I like that it can't go too fast and ruin bits. I hear Milwaukee is pretty tough too, but don't know much about them. I'm looking at used units on ebay and in pawn shops, etc and hoping to be under $100.

Milwaukee hands down especially the older models. I would recommend not buying a Milwaukee ½" only because when it binds (will happen) there is no holding on unless you are the hulk. I have had many employes hurt by one and rarely use them anymore. I have Milwaukee drills that have endured 30 years of abuse and are as strong as new.

X2 on Milwaukee Hole Shooters. The 1/2 inch is never to be trusted, just too much torque

Well, based of research and advice, I bought two milwaukee drills that I found good deals on. A 0244-1(5.5 amp) and an 0300-20 (8 amp). Both half inch. I'll see which one I like better and sell the other. Hopefully i don't hurt myself with either of them.

holeshooter...

We have a Hole Shooter in the shop that must be over 30 years old, that thing still runs great, but yeah even with the aux handle on it, the thing can still snap your wrist.

I've got a 0300-20. Love the drill but have not injured myself with it (yet!)

Holy balls, I just drilled a couple of holes with the 0300-20. The first hole was binding and I got really beat up. Tonnnnnnnnns of torque. I need to find a foregrip handle for it.

Mine came with a side handle. Did yours not, or are you talking about a different type of handle?

I bought it used and it was missing.

Ahh - I see - definitely worth having

Holy balls, I just drilled a couple of holes with the 0300-20. The first hole was binding and I got really beat up. Tonnnnnnnnns of torque. I need to find a foregrip handle for it.

Ha ha you were warned:)

What's your opinion of the magnetic base drills that are a sort of portable drill press?

I had one years ago. it didn't do sheeit on stainless or aluminum...if you applied alot of force to the spindle, it could break the mag seal...magnum hole shooter just needs a case of man in the can and a clear enough vision to know when to let go...

Still using the Milwaukee right angle 1/2" my step dad had for his electrical contracting business years ago.

An old electrician friend of mine gave me some very good advice about the Milwaukee 1/2 inch drills, never use one on a ladder. Those things will rip you right of the steps.

Drilling metal with a Milwaukee 1/2 in sounds dangerous. Under what conditions would you use one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom