Your no bs mpg (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

can get close to 18 on cruises at 55-65 mph.
70 mph+ it drops dramatically to 14 +/-.
13-ish around town.

Bone stock 99 LX470 on LTXs. 18 highway in the summer, 16 winter. Around 70ish MPH, usually a little less. 80 is scary and exhausting. Not sure how you guys maintain those speeds for long distances, and towing no less.

Keep the Honda as a DD, you'll save wear and tear, fuel, and maintenance plus it will make you really appreciate the LC.

How many miles do you drive? It all comes down to numbers. Also, to me, if you have a wreck, would you rather be in the LC or the civic. Sounds funny, but that's reality. I get 14 in my 80 with 35s and 17 in my 100. I drive about 3k miles a month now with work. I want to enjoy my drive, so I could drive a civic....But I DONT want to. But that's me! :)

14.5 combine with a 2000, 12.5 combine with the 2006. Completely stock, including tire size, vs lift with 33.6" tires on the respective vehicles.

I'm averaging 12.8 with a decent amount of mods - that's the running 6,500 miles baseline. as I've added stuff I suspect I'm dropping a bit.

but it's all worth it....

I too am getting roughly 13. Might have gone down a smidge since getting BFG AT KO2's (285's), but nothing too noticeable.

just checked my low budget 1998 305k miles on the lc 111k on the engine i put in it... all new fluids lighter than stock alloy wheels, no extra weight, (have not even put the stock skid pans back on) roof rack bars to the rear, drive'n like i have a pound of grass in the passenger seat and a cop on my tail, and this was not a full tank run but i filled up after only 69 miles since gas was 2.19 and....... I got 11.3 MPG I fully expected to see close to 14 as easy as i drove it... anticipated lights... few full stops... very easy on the gas...

I'm getting the same as FOPLawyer, 11 in town and approaching 17 on basic highway runs without camping gear, et al. 13 towing a 2k popup camper through the coastal Cascades.

I love driving my LX, but I'm planning to buy an old camry or something for grocery store runs, taking the kids to school, and other little crappy miles trips that just add wear. Errands that don't get the engine warm, suck gas, and aren't long enough to enjoy the drive. If i had money to burn, i would get an electric car for these little trips. Maybe someday.

I work from home, so my annual mileage is low. If we don't do anything fun in a month, I'm gassing up once per mo: 250mi/mo. Driving a 3rd car won't save me much in money and would take years to break even, but it would add years to my cruiser, and that is my motivation.

How many miles do you drive? It all comes down to numbers. Also, to me, if you have a wreck, would you rather be in the LC or the civic. Sounds funny, but that's reality. I get 14 in my 80 with 35s and 17 in my 100. I drive about 3k miles a month now with work. I want to enjoy my drive, so I could drive a civic....But I DONT want to. But that's me! :)

If I had a commute, to be honest, I'd rather be in a Civic....

Last edited:
I did an 1800 road trip when I got my 1999. I did about 300 miles of dirt, 150 slow (less than 50 mph) miles and the rest interstate. I got 16.3 with factory-size tires. It was in stock trim. It is no longer in stock trim

As far as a DD, I would keep the civic for sure

My '06 has bumpers, winch, lift, roof rack, sliders etc and I get 13-14, almost no matter where I go. 13 on a week long trip into the Maze, including driving from Park City and back. 13.8 on a road trip Park City to Las Vegas to Reno to Healdsburg to San Francisco and back to Park City- all highway except running around Healdsburg/Sonoma for a week.
I have stopped keeping track since I just get the same numbers.
Who cares, it's a Land Cruiser.

Preserve the 100 for trips etc if you can afford to. Daily driving a 6K lb truck in stop & go traffic is no fun!

I average 12.9 in town and around 15.5 on the highway, 285-75-16s. No lift with AHC, and 290k miles.

@sailor95 Is that adjusted for tires?

I haven't done the calculation since 285's. I get 13 on a good day. Maybe 15 on the highway if not speeding.

@TXLX100 Ya i multiply whatever my trip reads by 1.1 to get my actual miles since the tires are like 10% larger

Keep the civic as a DD? Use the LC for what it was made for - boldly go where no man has gone before, just make sure you have some 5L fuel cans on the rack to make it back. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom