new xp into 8274 runs slow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I have rebuilt my 8274. New seals, brake bits, and replaced the old motor with an xp. All back together now, but the motor turns very slowly. clutch removed, motor splined shaft turns slow. clutch installed, winch drum turns maybe 20 rpm. motor spins easily by hand. winch drum turns fine by hand as well - stiff but no binding. not sure what to try, any suggestions?

Update...I have an albright, mounted under the hood. In looking (listening) more carefully, the albright is making a pretty weird sound when the winch is running...kind of a cross between a screech and a howl. Its a continuous sound, and as far as I know alb rights are not supposed to make a noise? I'm therefore guessing that the albright is the cause of the problem. Any thoughts are welcome.

Hey Doug, why don't you run it directly off the battery using jumper cables. Disconnect the positive and negative cables at the battery (all of them, just for safety sake), disconnect the three cables from the motor, and then use the jumper cables to test the motor directly from the battery. First, use a short motor cable to connect the motor armature post (the one on the right) to one of the motor field posts. Then, hook the positive jumper cable from the battery positive to the free motor field post, hook up the negative jumper cable to the battery negative, and then just stab a good ground spot on the front bumper/frame horn/motor ground bolt with the free end of the negative jumper cable. I guess you'd better have some cable paid out before you try this, since you won't know which way it could run. Just run it for a second to see if the motor seems to run properly. You can swap the direction in which the motor runs by swapping the bolted cable and jumper cable at the two field posts. Just be careful when doing this. It helps to have two people doing this, just so one guy can hold loose jumper cable ends while the other guy makes connections. Call Ben. :D

If the motor runs OK directly off the battery, suspect the Albright or connections. Speaking of the Albright (I have no experience with them personally, though), solenoids and contactors hum if the contacts or pole pieces are not mating properly/fully. So you may have a contact issue within the Albright that is causing the humming/squealing and possibly a high-resistance connection. I would expect the Albright to get hot as a result.

Update...I have an albright, mounted under the hood. In looking (listening) more carefully, the albright is making a pretty weird sound when the winch is running...kind of a cross between a screech and a howl. Its a continuous sound, and as far as I know alb rights are not supposed to make a noise? I'm therefore guessing that the albright is the cause of the problem. Any thoughts are welcome.

No, they're not supposed to make noise. Mine doesn't, not that I can hear anyway (I'm a little hard of hearing). Double check all your wiring; but if you're 100% sure that all is as it should be, then yeah I would suspect a bad contactor.

Come to think of it, first make sure you have good clean battery and solenoid/motor connections and sound cables. Is the battery charge good?

I kind of assume that you already checked connections and battery state, but figure I ought to mention them anyway.

Last edited:
Doug? Doug?

Update...did the testing (thanks all for the suggestions) and ordered a new albright. Installed it this morning, and the motor now works fine. Am curious to test it to see how it performs under load. Not sure why/how an albright installed under the hood would fail.

Doug? Doug?
Hey Todd - Long days at work this week, first time on mud since last weekend. Thanks for your troubleshooting suggestions, that helped me track down the problem.

... Am curious to test it to see how it performs under load. Not sure why/how an albright installed under the hood would fail.

Glad that you got it fixed.

There has been some previous discussion on contactors; apparently there are some Chinese knock-offs out there that look like an Albright but may be inferior. I bought mine from Summit Racing and it has held up well so far.

I got both my original and the replacement from summit...but electrical stuff does fail on occaision, so I'm not stressing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom