Another Driver's window no operate thread - SOLVED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LS1FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, after months of periodic "no operate, will operate occasionally" my driver's window will not go up or down. So, I pulled the switch and I see some pretty solid evidence. Contacts are smoked. However, all of my other windows work fine and operate from the main (driver's) switches. So, what do I do now? Do I take sand paper and lightly clean the carbon off? Do I spray something to clean them?

I know I probably need to order a new switch but that isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436142315.098870.jpg

Stiff metal brush or sand paper should help. However it may be the switch and not the contacts. I had to replace one about a year ago. Luckily I had a neighbor with an 80 so he let me swap switches to do some trouble shooting.

Stiff metal brush or sand paper should help. However it may be the switch and not the contacts. I had to replace one about a year ago. Luckily I had a neighbor with an 80 so he let me swap switches to do some trouble shooting.

Thanks. My son's 80 has the same problem. Pretty sure it's the switch. There is some pretty thick carbon on the contacts. Plus some corrosion on the pins going in to the switch that corresponds to the driver switch. None on the others. Putting it all back together now to see if I got it.

I will probably order the Dorman switch if this fixes it.

I had the same problem but it was the motors. Both on the passenger windows. I think they cost around 170us. Any idea how much they cost in the US?

I had the same problem but it was the motors. Both on the passenger windows. I think they cost around 170us. Any idea how much they cost in the US?

Not cheap. I think that is about what they cost here. I tried jumping the terminals to see if I could get it to go up or down and get nothing. I think it is the motor. F%$%#%#$$%&!!!

Ok. This spring fell out of the switches somewhere. Don't know where. Ugh.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436152575.607239.jpg

The spring goes to the window lock button. So that doesn't work anymore. Oops. Ha

Just tested power to this plug which is what feeds the motor from the switch. Shows 11.60 volts with key on. Oh wait, just checked again and shows nothing. WTF?!?! Don't tell me I got a short or gremlin!

My other windows all work fine from the main switch. Ugh.

Where the hell is @NLXTACY when you need him? Joey? Joey?

I guess I'll go to bed. I'm sure when I wake up he'll have posted the solution to my problem. Or at least 43 ways to test each component. Along with diagrams. :)

Shows nothing with key still on? It'll hold power after shutting off the key until you open the door... sure that isn't what happened?

Door was open. Don't think it does that on the 91-92 years...

You can try jumpering the relay in the block to eliminate that part.. look up the power windows with key off thread.

When you said all other windows work, was this when you tested 0 volts?

All three other windows worked before, during, after.

I'm wondering if my relay is bad. I know they don't go bad often but I didn't even check... Will check in the morning before I go to work.

If your relay was bad the other windows wouldn't work either.

My passenger window works intermittently so I purchased these on Amazon after seeing a post on MUD. Have not installed them but looking forward to doing it soon to see if that solves the problem. Pretty cheap solution if they work.. The top of the ad stated they fit the 96 Land Cruiser they arrived in three days

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436184091.183057.jpg

I just completely rebuilt my driver's window, replacing the master switch panel (Switch Doctor), power lift motor (Dorman) and regulator (Toyota). I also replaced all the window runs (4). Life is good.

My passenger window works intermittently so I purchased these on Amazon after seeing a post on MUD. Have not installed them but looking forward to doing it soon to see if that solves the problem. Pretty cheap solution if they work.. The top of the ad stated they fit the 96 Land Cruiser they arrived in three days

View attachment 1103083

I just installed one of these in my Driver door and it works perfectly. The OEM unit had finally given out and I didn't want to pay OEM price, so I took a chance and got this one. I got it for around $45 delivered and its been in the truck for about 3 months now and is working just fine. Hope you find your issue.

At the same time, I installed new window runs and cleaned everything really well. It made a huge difference in the road noise and ease of raising/lowering the windows.

I just replaced my master window switch with a Switch Doctor unit on Fri. 7/3/15. So far, it works fantastic! In my case, my DS window worked fine. It would LOWER the other windows, but would NOT raise them. I had taken apart and rebuilt my master 3 or 4 times, and the last time I thought I had it figured out. All the little U-Shaped rockers inside had been "flattened" out over the years of button mashing. I found the one set that worked, and re-bent every other one to match the shape and curve of that one. Then all my windows worked up AND down....for 3 weeks. At least I isolated it to the switch. Installed the new SD unit and they all work!
Hopefully, the SD unit has some longevity to it. It was $45 delivered, and arrived in 5 days.
Yes, that spring is out of the window lock. As near as I could tell, the windows would NOT work if that spring and switch was not in place because it needed the switch to make contact to allow power to the rest of the switches. I dropped mine as well and it took a while to figure it out and put it back in. My spring was bent so part of it was figuring out that it was bent, then straightening it, and getting it all back together. The SD unit was easy and took about 1 minute to install.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom