Did Slee change the design of his rear bumper jerry can rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You take the hex head cap of the spindle assembly and then take the castle nut off and slide it over. We have optional spindle covers to cover it. On the ladder it is normally easy since there is no wiring attached to it. The tire carrier normally has the license plate light and antenna etc. So that one is a little bit more work. You would also have to transfer the plate back on the car

Cool thanks!

I will have to add it to my list.... step sliders first

That does not work since the arm will be on top of the bumper and the tailgate will hit it when you open the tailgate. So you have to remove the arm completely in any case.

I meant for opening the liftgate to load things in without having to open the swingouts.

I regret bringing this up, because yall are right: it's a total personal preference thing.

I meant for opening the liftgate to load things in without having to open the swingouts.

Aha, I can see that, as long your don't forget to open it when you open the tailgate. Crunch!

I regret bringing this up, because yall are right: it's a total personal preference thing.

No, it is good to get feedback and get peoples preferences. We can not always do something about it, but it certainly plays a role when we redesign or come up with new products.

Aha, I can see that, as long your don't forget to open it when you open the tailgate. Crunch!

Did that a couple times with the bumper on my 80 before i had anything mounted to the other arm, haha. Not a good sound.

Maybe modular solutions give an illusion of customizability and control that some types of customers like. Even if one that's already well thought out, like the SLEE Bumper, is actually better.

Yes, I can see that. However there is also the safety issue. We have seen some jinkety carriers that wobble all over the place or that is completely overloaded. So if you only supply an arm with two bolts to attach accessories two, you will be amazed at what people will think is OK to mount to it.

I think in the long run, it boils down to the look people want. And going down that rabbit hole to make everyone happy is tough. Our business model and how we produce our products to achieve the quality we want does not allow for much customization. I can see where some people prefer to have that and they normally gravitate to other vendors that offer that. We can just try to capture some of that market by providing options.

We strive to have all product in stock, ready for shipment. Lately due to sudden increase in demand that has been difficult, but we have upped our stock levels and soon we will be back to that stage again. So that unfortunately does not allow for custom products or one-off changes.

We have invested in a foam in place machine, so soon all our bumpers (and select other products) will come boxed, foam packed to ensure that parts get to the customer in the best possible shape. In order to do this, we have to deal with batches and get them all packed ready for shipment.

Yes, I can see that. However there is also the safety issue. We have seen some jinkety carriers that wobble all over the place or that is completely overloaded. So if you only supply an arm with two bolts to attach accessories two, you will be amazed at what people will think is OK to mount to it.

I think in the long run, it boils down to the look people want. And going down that rabbit hole to make everyone happy is tough. Our business model and how we produce our products to achieve the quality we want does not allow for much customization. I can see where some people prefer to have that and they normally gravitate to other vendors that offer that. We can just try to capture some of that market by providing options.

We strive to have all product in stock, ready for shipment. Lately due to sudden increase in demand that has been difficult, but we have upped our stock levels and soon we will be back to that stage again. So that unfortunately does not allow for custom products or one-off changes.

We have invested in a foam in place machine, so soon all our bumpers (and select other products) will come boxed, foam packed to ensure that parts get to the customer in the best possible shape. In order to do this, we have to deal with batches and get them all packed ready for shipment.

Christo, you might check on that foam machine...
Corners busted up pretty good and no signature service.

I installed the unit already as it was not worth the hassle to return, etc...

Just wanted to share a delivery pic.
Also, I wish this thing was installed more at the ladder base.... makes refueling, visibility, etc... more difficult.
20150705_205108.jpg 20150702_173916.jpg
Last thing, some basic instructions on what bolt goes where would have added 20 mins back to my life.
All in all a good piece and stout as is everything that comes from Slee.

20150705_205031.jpg

I was VERY impressed with the packing for my Blueberry - well done.

Christo, you might check on that foam machine...
Corners busted up pretty good and no signature service.

I installed the unit already as it was not worth the hassle to return, etc...

Just wanted to share a delivery pic.
Also, I wish this thing was installed more at the ladder base.... makes refueling, visibility, etc... more difficult.
View attachment 1102946 View attachment 1102945
Last thing, some basic instructions on what bolt goes where would have added 20 mins back to my life.
All in all a good piece and stout as is everything that comes from Slee.
Jason. I will check the packaging on the carrier. Those were shipped with UPS hands the no signature required. We can ship with signature required if requested. In a case like this if it got damaged in shipping we would've had to file a claim with UPS. We can still do that if you keep the photographs as well as the packaging so they can inspect it. let me know if you would like to do so.

You can install the carrier lower on the ladder but that would require you to drill and tap the bottom holes into the swingarm.

Fwiw, A lot of people prefer the jerry cans to be higher up like that so she can then just siphon the fuel out of them when you refuel vehicle

I was just going to chime in on the placement also. The height is good for a super siphon. Fill the cans in the basket, fill your tank from the basket. Cans go on for a trip and don't need to come off until after the trip ideally.

You'll also appreciate the higher position of the holder/cans when doing ledge work for all things Utah :)

Here's how mine made it all the way to SC. Pretty good considering it got abused on the brown truck.

I installed my holder at night in the dark and missed the two upper bolts. I couldn't believe that it was that wobbly by design. It wasn't LOL. Next time I'll deal with the heat. It was down to 90 at 9pm so it seemed like a good idea at the time... o_O

PS: Bonus points @jonharis if you can identify the background equip.

The ladder is good for more than jerry cans. I have my carrier in the lower position and I tapped a hole in the swing-out for the bracket. The bottom is about level with the bottom of the spare tire. I didn't have any issues running in Utah but your ledges may vary.

file.php

Trying to maximize the use out of my carrier. I was hoping to find a cooler that would work when I am not hauling fuel.

Any other recommendations? This 52 qt would be perfect if it fit. I am really not looking forward to a 25 qt dinky cooler back there (would be a waste of time)
Edit: I am not into $300 coolers either.
20150710_185009.jpg
?

Another fail in my quest to find the perfect sized cooler for the can carrier. This one had my hopes up based on coolness factor.
(I don't think the best jelly lube in the world will make this fit, although I only need a half inch on each side.)

20150715_184354.jpg

Did you order an extra support bracket or are they now shipping with 2?

this came with 2

pretty sure that puts all my options in the sub 30qt cooler range.

yeti is really thick so internal space suffers; plus the price is out of my sanity range

This cooler above was 54qt, which was tall enough for 2 liter and gallon jugs to stand up right for ~$100.
I'll keep looking!

I know you said no $$$ coolers, but the Yeti size that fits is 35 qt, just fyi

(Found on Slee's FB page)
There are a couple knock offs out there for cheaper,....unfortunately, it appears that RTIC doesn't offer a 35 yet.
The Igloo 48 qt cube fits, with room to spare. The Coleman 48 Can Party stacker, might fit...
I saw another pic of someone using an Igloo rolling cooler in their rack, but it was BIOR.

I used a 20% off coupon at a local store, and after $3k for the bumper and options, $240 didn't seem that bad....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom