Another 25 Alive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I got the transmission out today and most of it pulled apart. It doesn't look as horrible inside as I feared it would. There's a little pitting on a few gears, but no chips or broken teeth. I'm strangely missing 3 of the needle bearings and 1/2 of one of the synchronizer key clips. The counter shaft is still in the case so maybe the bearings are stuck in there somewhere. The synchronizer key clip is going to be an issue if I can't find one. The piece I found inside isn't going to cut it! Anybody got an extra?

This may explain the "grind 'em 'til you find 'em" shifting:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436187735.634848.jpg

Needle bearings will be an issue. Mot got me the last set that was in the system. Be glad to give you the dimensions of you want to try and chase them down. Probably have a selection of used ones but that's not a great fix. Maybe on the ring.

Chevy disc, the pressure plate, throwout arm and pivot are specific to the 25 so don't mix with your 40 stuff. Going by memory here, there should be an old thread around, likewise on the tranny. Best way to buy the bearings is a chevy kit.
Yes, FJ not CJ has done mucho research on 25 drive train.

That's the one. I pulled it off of a 61 in a western Mass junkyard. It was shaped like a "W" when I got it, but was able to straighten it out a bit. It still needs a ton of work, but will do for now.

I wonder if this is the same 61 FJ40 that Jim found years ago. Tried to convince Jim to at least cut the ends off. If this is it glad you were able to save the whole thing. Just wish a PO of one of my 61s didn't decide to fix the bend end by cutting it off.:crybaby: The upside to the early bumper is they are lighter metal and easier to work with.:clap: Downside is they damage easier because the metal it lighter.:bang:

Knew a guy years ago who we would say bought a new car every time the ashtray got full. I think the FJ25 it's when the four speed needs work it time get another one.:rolleyes: That is one project I'm hoping never having to tackle. That reminds me I need to check my spare to see if still spinning freely.

Just went back out to the garage and stuffed the 16 needle bearings into the input shaft. Perfect fit. Phew.

I already bought all the bearings and seals from the part number thread and I just found a gasket kit online for the GKT-134's. It should make things easier and reduce the number I have to make.

Now I'm praying that Jim has that synchro clip!

Last edited:
Jeff, I'll take a look in the bucket o' parts tomorrow for the synchro ring. Did you find the needle bearing retainer clip in the bore past the needle bearings? Makes it a bit less stressful to assemble.
041306 (2).jpg
Looking through pictures to see if there was a trick to removing the countershaft......nothing I remember but I know that something gave me fits trying to negotiate it out of the case when it was loose. Ran across a picture of the replacement input shaft bearing circlip that was too large OD, had to replace with the original. Didn't notice until replacing the collar and it wouldn't bolt up.
42601 (23).jpg

Found the needle bearing clip in the input shaft just like you said. Also pulled the snap ring off the new input bearing and installed the old ring. Great tips. Thank you!

I cleaned everything up and reinstalled the countershaft and reverse gear. I was looking at the third gear and the brass bushing doesn't look right to me. The oil holes in the bushing don't line up with the oil holes in the gear.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436384610.218789.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436384642.852296.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436384668.784014.jpg

Last edited:
Lend-lease, send me your addresss.;)
20150708_174250.jpg

FJ25 clutch mystery solved.

I pulled the pressure plate and flywheel off this morning so I could get them off to be machined. And then I discovered that one of the pressure plate fingers was bent:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436461122.083649.jpg

So, since I was now wading in deep poo well past my boots, I had to find a solution. I pulled a new, spare FJ40 3-speed clutch assembly out and compared it to the FJ25 clutch like Phil and Jim did. I then pulled them both apart to find where that 1/4" of finger height came from in the Fj40 pressure plate. What I found was that the fingers and surface plate were exactly the same between the FJ25 and FJ40. The only difference was in the cover. (The clutch cover cover?). The inner diameter surface of the cover is slightly deeper on the FJ25 clutch (about 1/8"), limiting the outward travel of the fingers by about 1/4" at the ends.

Long story short...you can buy a new FJ40 pressure plate and throw the old FJ25 cover on it. Here mine after sandblasting the cover and installing over the new parts:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436461590.244705.jpg

That's cool stuff......reminds me of why I liked poking around with 25's at one time. :hmm:
Which springs did you use, the fresh 40 ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom