mosquito repellant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found this recipe for brewers yeast tonic:
1. Pour 10 liters of fresh, cold water into the 10 gallon plastic pail (carboy). If the pail is new, wash it out first with a mixture of water and baking soda to remove the plastic smell.
2. In your largest pot, bring 7 liters of water to a boil.
3. Add one can of malt extract. Stir and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
4. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
5. As soon as the sugar is dissolved, pour contents into the carboy. Pour, or 'splash', the contents quickly, which adds air to the mixture. The more air the yeast get initially, the better. It allows them to rapidly grow and get things going.
6. Top up with bottled drinking water or tapwater until temperature is neutral. (If using tapwater, it is recommended to boil first to kill bacteria.) Test using a clean, sanitized thermometer. The carboy will now be a little more than half full.
7. Sprinkle in the yeast, and stir well. Cover with lid. (Set lid on loosely; if capped too tightly, a carboy can explode from the carbon dioxide gas that is produced.)
Keep covered and avoid unnecessary opening. The beer tonic will be ready to bottle in 6- 10 days, depending on ambient temperature of the room and amount of sugar used in the brewing. Room temperature should be 20-24 Celsius at the highest; 16-20 Celsius is better but it will take the beer tonic a day or two longer to ferment.

Drink 6 to 12 bottles the night before you plan to go into a mosquito infested area, you can also supplement as required through out the day.

Ive had good luck with a product called Cactus Juice. Bought it at a real bait and tackle shop on the outer banks. Really good stuff.

Cotton boonie-style hat liberally sprayed with DEET (except the headband area) will keep em off your head. Spray it around all openings of your clothing like collars, cuffs, hems, etc...

Didn't work with the "greenheads" on Okracoke Island in the NC outerbanks though. Those little f'ers are fierce.

I use what would translate to JungleOil, fart-in-40year-old-tent-smelling oil.
20% deet. Tastes even worse.
I lube up before every meal.
That means, 3-10 times a day.
Product is used in Norwegian and Swedish army.

Around camp I keep them of with beer, djungelolja, and ThermaCell if not windy. I'm pretty happy with the setup!

http://www.pinal.se/en/sun-mosquito-protection/djungelolja-40ml.html

http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent/appliances/mosquito-repellent-appliance-in-olive

Or you can go all out with this head-mounted machinery:

100% DEET is the way to go. Just got back from a week in the Ecuadorian Amazon, we wore appropriate clothes and sprayed the exposed bits with Bens 100% and no bites! Others in the group had their 25% etc and got mauled. Our spare 100% became very popular.

100% DEET is the way to go. Just got back from a week in the Ecuadorian Amazon, we wore appropriate clothes and sprayed the exposed bits with Bens 100% and no bites! Others in the group had their 25% etc and got mauled. Our spare 100% became very popular.

I agree. High concentration DEET is the only way to go. Buck island lake on the Rubicon can be pretty bad with mosquitoes but the 99.8% DEET spray we used last week definitely did the trick. You could watch the mosquitoes hover about 4-6" from your skin but they would not land on you. My wife wanted to test one of those "natural" repellent oils and lets just say that didnt go to well. 30 min into her test she was spraying herself with DEET.

Keep in mind that high-concentration DEET will literally dissolve nylon. When I worked at a gear shop we repaired quite a few packs that had 100% DEET spilled on them and it bleached the fabric white before literally turning it into dust. Not sure what this says about putting it on your skin.... Even if you aren't concerned with that aspect, be careful about application near camping gear/car interiors.

Also, if there is a breeze/wind present, the blood-suckers tend to hang out in the leeward side of stationary objects. So that is NOT the direction to face the door of your tent.

That said, I find it disturbingly satisfying what happens to a mosquito when you spray it directly with whatever aerosol DEET product you have. Looks like a tiny plane falling out of the sky that starts twitching when it hits the ground.

I found this recipe for brewers yeast tonic:
1. Pour 10 liters of fresh, cold water into the 10 gallon plastic pail (carboy). If the pail is new, wash it out first with a mixture of water and baking soda to remove the plastic smell.
2. In your largest pot, bring 7 liters of water to a boil.
3. Add one can of malt extract. Stir and cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
4. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
5. As soon as the sugar is dissolved, pour contents into the carboy. Pour, or 'splash', the contents quickly, which adds air to the mixture. The more air the yeast get initially, the better. It allows them to rapidly grow and get things going.
6. Top up with bottled drinking water or tapwater until temperature is neutral. (If using tapwater, it is recommended to boil first to kill bacteria.) Test using a clean, sanitized thermometer. The carboy will now be a little more than half full.
7. Sprinkle in the yeast, and stir well. Cover with lid. (Set lid on loosely; if capped too tightly, a carboy can explode from the carbon dioxide gas that is produced.)
Keep covered and avoid unnecessary opening. The beer tonic will be ready to bottle in 6- 10 days, depending on ambient temperature of the room and amount of sugar used in the brewing. Room temperature should be 20-24 Celsius at the highest; 16-20 Celsius is better but it will take the beer tonic a day or two longer to ferment.

Drink 6 to 12 bottles the night before you plan to go into a mosquito infested area, you can also supplement as required through out the day.

beer...nice!

I also use high concentration deet. i don't like loading my skin with chemical but it's better than tick bites. We hunt and vacation in the coastal flats and they Mosquitos and ticks will hammer you day and night. Anyone try any of the bug repellant clothing? I might try out a shirt and bandana.

I have the shirts with the stuff built into them from Railriders, and they seem to help a lot.
Only problem is they are long sleeve shirts, and I get too hot in them, so I roll up the sleeves some.
I use to use 100% Deet long ago, but the stuff is nasty.

When up in Northern Ontario camping we use Watkins insect repellent. Its designed to repels mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies, stable flies and ticks. Doesn't leave a greasy mess on you and doesn't reek. If you don't have this stuff on you when dusk comes in you become an open bar to mosquitoes.

My missus works for a travel medicine and vaccination centre (nurse) here in Australia and they sell "Bushman DEET 101" to people travelling to Mozzie infested places where there are threats of Malaria. It was developed by the US army and also sold in America. Here's a link to the product.
http://www.bushman-repellent.com/deet-facts-information-myths.html

My missus works for a travel medicine and vaccination centre (nurse) here in Australia and they sell "Bushman DEET 101" to people travelling to Mozzie infested places where there are threats of Malaria. It was developed by the US army and also sold in America. Here's a link to the product.
http://www.bushman-repellent.com/deet-facts-information-myths.html

Yup. In places where mosquitos are a serious health threat and not just an annoyance, you use DEET as a repellant and premethrin as an insecticide on clothing/netting. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom