2H Fuel Mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The early 3B's (inline pump)use it as well. Plenty here have turbocharged those without issues. The main problem (and it's a big one) is the hoses popping off under pressure and taking the engine to full rpm.

2h's with a manual gearbox use this system, but for some reason toyota used the mechanical style injector pump for automatic trans equipped 60's (same as 12HT minus boost compensator). The load characteristics of the auto must have caused issues using the pneumatic system...any ideas?

and ive now hijacked this thread to :( lol

Dougal
That don't sound good so one must never shut the fuel down quick lifting the foot at high revs with a 2h turbo. I can see it happening when the boost has no where to go but what causes the over run if the throttle type plate is closed.

Dougal
That don't sound good so one must never shut the fuel down quick lifting the foot at high revs with a 2h turbo. I can see it happening when the boost has no where to go but what causes the over run if the throttle type plate is closed.
Clamp the hoses on and you'll be fine.

I know this thread got out of hand a bit but my 2h gets about 18 to 19 gallons highway. I am overfueling though, as I see black smoke behind me every time I check my mirror.

my stock 2H H55 60 series on stock tires would see a best of 12 L/100 km. Now, with over 6000 lbs and on 35 inch tires, I see 15 L/100 KM as the best. But I have some fluid dynamic issues on my roof too.

Yeah that happened to me once doug. I was terrible as I was in the middle of climbing a hill. Ugg. I replaced the hoses with fuel line and these cool little hose clamps for fuel injection lines. They look just like small t-clamps and clamp with more force than the run of the mill gear clamps. No issues since.

I'm interested in where you put your hy clone thingy. Pics would be great. I'm beginning to think though that you don't own a 2h if your a certified mechanic and are clueless about your own engine that you've own for supposed 15 yrs? Your either an absolutely retarded mechanic, or a liar. Please choose.

A friend of mine had an HJ62 with 2H in pristine condition, 437K on the odo..he claimed 8km per liter city and 10.5km on highway

Regarding the cyclone technology, it is very interesting that Toyota was actually using it on the pre-cleaner side for the 70-series!

image-jpg.1106097

image-jpg.1106098

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/70-series-cyclone-air-hose-precleaner.869312/

Everyone uses it for air cleaning. You can throw half big particles out before the filters.

But no pre cleaner makers ever claim fuel economy improvements.
I accept that you do knock anything that you dont agree with Dougal. But if you could explain where Toyota dumps the bigger particles if as you suggest, that's its purpose. Lets acknowledge that machines in very dusty conditions used to have a precleaner and great updates were (and are now) aspirators with venturies created in the exhaust to be more effective and have no maintenance issue. I fail to accept your change of description. So if this air is now swirling and forcing the heavier solids out, where are they captured? Or does it improve those benefits you are so adamantly deny? I accept that being prior to the filter, then the swirling will be halted. So what is the specific advantage for Toyota to include this?

I accept that you do knock anything that you dont agree with Dougal. But if you could explain where Toyota dumps the bigger particles if as you suggest, that's its purpose. Lets acknowledge that machines in very dusty conditions used to have a precleaner and great updates were (and are now) aspirators with venturies created in the exhaust to be more effective and have no maintenance issue. I fail to accept your change of description. So if this air is now swirling and forcing the heavier solids out, where are they captured? Or does it improve those benefits you are so adamantly deny? I accept that being prior to the filter, then the swirling will be halted. So what is the specific advantage for Toyota to include this?
They are thrown against the walls of the pipes and then settle out in the bottom of the air cleaner box.

Some air cleaner boxes have a dust drainage valve to eject dust particles as they build up.

This is extremely basic air cleaner operation. Anyone who has changed a filter will have seen it.

But now you're back. The locals have some questions for you they asked earlier.

They are thrown against the walls of the pipes and then settle out in the bottom of the air cleaner box.

Some air cleaner boxes have a dust drainage valve to eject dust particles as they build up.

This is extremely basic air cleaner operation. Anyone who has changed a filter will have seen it.

But now you're back. The locals have some questions for you they asked earlier.
Thanks Dougal for your kind answer. Ive noted these dust drain valves on heavy equipment often needed attention with moisture stopping there intended function. We just fitted aspirators.

Yeah, I'd like to see pick of where and how you mount your hyclone Ken. Also, please explain how you didn't know 2hs had a throttle plate as your a mechanic and owned one for so many years? If your a mechanic as you say, how is centrifugal filtration a new idea for you? Its a concept that is used the world over and is older than pretty much anyone on the board. Also, with your great understanding of these engines, how is it that an air filter can negate a swirl gadgets effect yet a throttle plate doesn't? I'm thinking you will dismiss my questions or not answer them in any real detail cus you just don't have a clue.

Last edited:
I concur with those numbers, Augusts96.

Over a 15,000 km trip, my HJ60 with 5spd towing a 23 foot travel trailer loaded, I achieved 14 Imp mpg at ~90 km/h or 'on the pin' as I call it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom