Offroad canvas tent trailer hybrid build... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW, this baby is tall now, will need a step ladder to get in the tent!

beauty eh!

Had a bit of time today in the garage and started on the drawers. I tacked in an inner lip of wood on each side of the drawer housing to "stop" the drawer once closed. I'm no expert, but it will serve its purpose. Once closed, the drawer will sit flush with the back of the trailer. I'll finish the edge inside with a bit of weatherstripping to seal out the water once closed.

I still need to attach the face of the drawer and handle, plus add a divider inside. The back drawers measure 20" wide x 7" tall x 48" long. There's still room to put 2 small front drawers on the tongue side. I could actually use that space to house the electrical needs, I.e. Battery, fuse panel, etc?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok guys, had some time this past week and got some work done on the trailer. First, my work buddy and me bolted the wooden drawer frame and camper top to the metal base frame...

image.jpg
Then, I finished the drawers with handles and a beer bottle opener;) the right side drawer will be my kitchen box that gets removed at camp and placed on a fold out table to act as a work surface/holder of kitchen stuff

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Then on to the awning, built custom Home Depot pipe style awning pole base, and finished the canvas awning. I'm getting tent poles in a couple of hours to fully set up the canvas awning. I used a 6x8 duck tarp from northern tool. I used PVC for the awning frame to mock it up, and it actually works well with the threaded galvanized awning pole...

I like the direction your going, especially the bottle opener. Do you have more pictures of the awning?

I just finished the awning yesterday, not bad, poles easily stow away, canvas looks more of a match to the camper
image.jpg
image.jpg

It will actually look more proportional once the tent is deployed…

Here she is with the tent deployed up top. It's turned out better than I expected, and i towed it around town a bit, proves to be very light and easy to tow.
image.jpg
image.jpg
And yes, those are house made wooden fenders, lol. The whole rig is about to get the rust oleum green color

Finished the trailer for now, about to be camping season! I painted the rest of the exterior to match the top camper, no crazy deal there, just the same rustoleum green. I'll get around to electricals at some point this summer or fall, but for now it's ready to do some shake down camping!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Good job bringing this old tent trailer back to life. It looks an old Apache trailer, we had one similar years ago.

Thanks, man...It camps pretty well! I need to sort out my awning poles and supports, and refine my kitchen setup a bit, but for what it is, it's a fun little trailer that pulls very easily, need to get it weighed as it is pretty lightweight pulling behind my 80. I'm going to hook it up to the 40 next...!

Looks great. The paint really pulled it all together -- and disguised those wooden fenders!:eek:;)

The Aussie plate is pretty cool, too. I presume no plate needed for lightweight trailers in TN?

Quick update on the thread... A few of us from TN (middle and East) went to overland expo east in Asheville. Wet ass weekend with loads of rain. The trailer pulled great on the highway, as it is very light. Things that need work are:

-drawers (they are heavy as hell once they are loaded with junk and cooking stuff). I need to build slides for them
-awning, the canvas is cool and rustic but super heavy once wet, need to switch to tarp material or just use the Fiama awning I just picked up from @ukaviator.

Here's a couple of pics, don't mind the PVC awning cover in photos, I have since removed that, it didn't do well bouncing on bumps on interstate.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom