What should I do with this HJ60 in Costa Rica? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
00d0d_6708SosXi1t_600x450.jpg

I bought this car a year ago for our family to drive while we are living in Costa Rica. Our time here is coming to an end and I need to figure out what do with this sweet ride.

I LOVE this truck, but I won't need it in Minnesota.

Should I ...

1. Say goodbye and sell it here in Costa Rica?
2. Have one last adventure and drive it back to the US and sell it there?

It is a 1988 HJ60, 2H Diesel, 5 Speed Manual. 300,000 kms. This is a general markets version with high top, sun roof, and center console refrigerator. It's mostly standard, except for a fairly recent paint job and some other odds and ends like xenon head lights. There's no rust.

Thanks for the advice!

You should drive it to the US and drop it off at my house!

Seriously, don't sell it in CR. That thing, if no rust and is in good shape is worth quite a bit in the US. LHD diesel ready for a turbo? It's a no brainier. Drive it home, plate it, and then decide what to do with it.

I used to live in WI. I loved having my 60 there. What about the gopher state makes you think that you won't need it. Besides, how many of us actually need a Cruiser?

I'd love to have your problem to fix.

How hard is it to get converted from a costa rican car to a US car? Would I do that in Texas or some other state on the border? Or can I get it back to Minnesota and register it there?

I think it's an HJ 61, given the headlight configuration. You would declare it at as an imported truck at the border, pay a duty based on the sales price, then register in any state you so desire.

In the global market vehicles, the dual headlights is a year-break thing not a model thing. 87 and older, singles, 88 and newer, doubles. Does not denote difference between HJ60 and HJ61.

You drive it back and import it legally, easy to do and can cost as little as $400-$500 in fees and import tax.

Or ship it from Costa Rica to Galveston, probably much cost difference versus food/fuel/lodging and border crossing time during a drive back. But a fun adventure.

Cool truck!

".. The HJ60 has been built from 1980 until 1987; the HJ61 from 1986 until 1990. The latter stayed identical in looks compered with the HJ60, but from halfway 1987 the HJ61 can be recognized by the double square headlights, higher bumpers and a rounder dashboard..."

It's been a puzzle figuring out exactly the year and model actually. But I've settled on a 1988 HJ60. I know this contradicts some cruiser information out there, but so be it.

From the plate under the hood:

model # is HJ60LG-MNZ (general markets built from 87-90)
engine is 2H
frame #:HJ60-041255
color: 4G8 (Beige)
trim: FV11 (gray fabric)

The title on the car says 1988.

It's 12V, LHD, 5SPD.

Cheers,
Jim

Looks right to me Jim. The production date for this HJ60 should be 9/1987, but year is usually established by first registration date, so it makes perfect sense that yours is a 1988. Looks like an awesome Cruiser!

Cruiser Outfitters just got an HJ61 that is a JDM spec but has round headlights. Vin Confirms it is an HJ61 model. So i was baffled by the headlights too!

Can you post more pics of the truck ?

:cheers:

My nephew had to ship his truck from Costa Rica, it was only $1,000 to Miami a couple of years ago. Either work with a registered importer (RI) or do the paperwork yourself. Dot every I, cross every T. If you ship, be sure to wash all dirt off, especially the undercarriage. If you sell it, please put it on the Mud classified first. Good luck.

".. The HJ60 has been built from 1980 until 1987; the HJ61 from 1986 until 1990. The latter stayed identical in looks compered with the HJ60, but from halfway 1987 the HJ61 can be recognized by the double square headlights, higher bumpers and a rounder dashboard..."

Who ever wrote that is wrong.

That looks very clean .. and I believe you can sell it for a good price up in the US .. selling in CR will be more of this normal state and might end in improper hands ..I mean they will use it as a Cruiser and will not see the type of care you provide so far ..

Where in CR is the truck? Where are you? Does it have current RTV/al dia?

I thought you might chime in on this HJ REDrum! :flipoff2:

I thought you might chime in on this HJ REDrum! :flipoff2:

Hola Amigo! Was thinking of you the other day, I starting to plan an expedition to Rio Azul 2017....can I tempt you?

Jimtronic: so what happened to the truck? Still in Tico-stan or in Tajas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom