Shore power set ups (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@costalcat would/could you post a pic of your VW Syncro...
Sure here are a couple of iterations

Prior to sliders removing propane and adding real bumpers

87 Syncro uWharrie.jpg

New bumpers and Sliders
Spring 2014.jpg

With my trailer
trailer.jpeg

Overland Expo East 2014 That is my buddies SVX DOKA conversion in front of me. Here you can see the side steps on my van that attach to the sliders. We custom built them along with the rack on the back of the Doka

OverlandExpo East 2014.JPG

Getting in late on this but +1 for the Genius charger (G7200) and shoreline plug (GCP1). I use both on my trailer charging system and they work perfectly. The unit construction is top notch which makes installation easy. I will do the same on the FZJ80 when I get around to a dual battery installation and use the dual bank GEN2. All the other parts are Blue Sea and my own handy work and would be applicable to a vehicle installation as well.

Trailer%20Box%201_zpsk3ya2l3y.jpg

Trailer%20Box%202_zpsxam6tzni.jpg

photo1_zpse8504a51.jpg

photo2_zps21dc2d56.jpg

I purchased the genius G26000 awhile back for the same Shorepower/keep the fridge running idea. My thinking with the single bank charger was that the hellroaring isolator would just combine my 2 DHP 31-m's but the normal charging float voltage is below the 13.2 v cutoff where the isolator kickes in. It actually float charged at 13.15 so it was so close to working. I had a 7 amp 3 stage charger with a float of 13.5 so I just mounted that in the rear quarter where it would stay dry. Seems to top the batteries off better than the genius charger actually, not reall impressed with the G26000. For $200 I would have liked a bit more feedback as to what it was doing, all you get is 4 led's showing battery percentage.

What is the float charging voltage of the dual bank genius charger?

I've been leaving my fridge and solar controller on full time now that I have the Gen2 installed. Mainly keeping water and a few beers in there right now. The 80 is not a daily driver and stays in the garage so I am trying to keep it expo ready because I hate packing and unpacking.

I just ordered the 20 amp 2 port with a plug for the bumper.

Although I drive my truck almost 90 miles daily, I do leave my small Dometic running all the time ( it's hard to drink warm beverages after you get used to having it cold in the back all the time) I have a group 31 and 34 agm, but without a proper controller, ever thing I've read leads me to believe the 31 only charges up to the level of the 34.

If I plug it in every few days, it should top them bothoff properly.

Update...

Installed with pics.

I drilled the 2 Shoreline plugs in the front. One is for the charger, the other for my block heater (that the cord always dangled out). It was pretty straight forward, except for having to move my fuse and holder off the top of the air filter box, which will now be the new home of the 20 amp Genius chager.

The shore power ports are exceptional quality...I'm going to be oder ing anther for the trailer and get rid of the Marineco that never stays closed

Looks tidy!

Question: If you had an ARB fridge plugged in on a typical 12v constant power set up, I'd assume plugging in that shore power setup would keep the fridge running similar to switching the fridge plug to straight 120v?

I learned to read the posts above....exactly what y'all were trying to do.

Looks tidy!

Question: If you had an ARB fridge plugged in on a typical 12v constant power set up, I'd assume plugging in that shore power setup would keep the fridge running similar to switching the fridge plug to straight 120v?

Yep...for everyday use I keep a smaller Dometic running in the rear. Camping I have an Engel 45 for the longer haul.

Another thing I've been thinking about (thought you smelled something burning) is even off grid charging using my Honda eu2000I generator. It typically runs about 8-10 hours under some load using about a gallon or so of gas. So it would be maybe an hour or two of running, to top off both batteries. The Honda generators do have a 12v cable with alligator clips, but IIRC, it only does about 8 amps, and you'd have to do one at a time....so this setup seems to be really ideal.

Looks tidy!

I kept mine in the garage plugged in with 63q Edgestar running 24/7. Battery was always charged. The fridges don't take much power.

Another thing I've been thinking about (thought you smelled something burning) is even off grid charging using my Honda eu2000I generator. It typically runs about 8-10 hours under some load using about a gallon or so of gas. So it would be maybe an hour or two of running, to top off both batteries. The Honda generators do have a 12v cable with alligator clips, but IIRC, it only does about 8 amps, and you'd have to do one at a time....so this setup seems to be really ideal.
Only run the generator to recharge to something like 80-90% full. The last 10% takes forever and you can't charge at full rate so why waste the gas. Use an external charger so charging can go as fast as possible. AGMs can typically be charged much faster than plate type batteries, but cycle life is lower.

On mismatched batteries. Only real issue is the older one draining the newer one. If there is a constant draw, or charging current it isn't an issue. it is just when they are sitting idle that the newer/stronger one will try to charge the older/weaker one, and thus deplete it's charge faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom