Tips and guidance from a certified 4wd Instructor. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know my boss and the lead instructor will be there again but not too sure about me. He has not said anything yet.

At what point is it time to pull out a snatch block to double the line pull when winching? When a single line pull is stalling out the winch?

When you are doing the single line pull are you putting the winch in its sweet spot for full power. if you only have a few wraps off the drum then you are not in the sweet spot at all. Need to get down where the power is. I would double line pull it if it was needed. I would also look to see if there was something i could do to help get the truck unstuck, whether that was stacking rocks, digging out in front of the tires or putting down some type of traction aid device.

Just to stack on what was just stated, another useful piece I always carry in my recovery bag, is a Lift Mate for your Hi Lift..

It's easier sometimes to pick up the wheel to stuff something under, if you can get solid footing with the jack.

Lifting by your sliders, or front and rear bumper, can be difficult because of the added height,. Especially with a lift, larger tires, or a 4' Hi Lift.

You can also weave a strap either through the wheels, or around the tire, to create the same effect. I've also seen where they took a Rachel strap to keep the suspension pulled tight together prior to lifting.

A High Lift Mate is nice but you can do the same thing with a solid thick piece of plywood.

Use your tree saver strap thru the rim to lift it with your Jack.

And yes use a ratchet strap to keep your suspension from dropping all the way.

subscribed

A High Lift Mate is nice but you can do the same thing with a solid thick piece of plywood.

Use your tree saver strap thru the rim to lift it with your Jack.

And yes use a ratchet strap to keep your suspension from dropping all the way.

The Lift Mate is actually the Hi-Lift brand hooked attachment for lifting a wheel or small diameter tube (might prevent compromising a tree saver strap. I think you're thinking of the Base, Darin. Great thread so far. Keep it coming.

I'd like to add that whether you use the fancy red plastic part or a piece of wood, and you're in mud, have a tether attached to the thing for easy retrieval.
liftmate.jpg
ORB.jpg

You another I4WDTC Instructor ?

Please feel free to add what you find over there that works / does not work as that is how i learn also.

I'm FWDV (Four Wheel Drive Victoria) accredited, not sure the I4WDTC accreditation has caught on on this side of the globe as yet. Looks like the thread has taken off, well done.

Simon

Something I need to put out for some of us old fogies.

The stuff we use for recovery has come leaps and bounds in the last 5-10 years or so. All for it to be safer for us.

I will try tonight to post about shackles and what to look for / best to use.

CM or Crosby period

Crosby are good but I am not here to say one is better than the other. Just pointing out how to tell if it is by looking mainly at the WLL or SWL on it to see what it is rated for.

Subscribed. Very valuable information. Thanks.

Sorry I have not said much on this subject but the fire season out West has been a rough one and besides being a part time 4wd guy and small cruiser shop owner I also go fight wild fires. Feel like I am back in the Military while on the fire line where no one is stabbing you in the back every chance they get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom