Firewood? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What chain!

Somewhere I have a picture of this oak when we bought the property, only 4' tall (more of a bush). It needed some lifting, now a pile of work to haul to the brush dump.
101_1694.jpg
101_1693.jpg

Lightweights. :). Even you Dan. :)

I'm thinning 4 acres this year. Basically removing all standing dead, fallen dead, and just about anything that isn't Aspen or really healthy Ponderosa.

Conservatively 25 cords so far. I took a month of vacation to get this done.

Finished. EDIT--This section at least
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443644494.300878.jpg

A look at the difference between the jungle of the left, and the thinned on the right...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443644540.371350.jpg

Dan

Last edited:
Beautiful. I just love aspens.
Tried to grow them in Kansas a few years ago. Didn't pan out.

They are my favorite trees by far!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1443741757.137275.jpg

Here's the hill to the north of our property. They peaked a few days ago, but still plenty of color!

Hauled off another 2 cords today!

Dan

I normally haul with one of my m416s attached to my 40 or 60. Cant remember why I had the utility trailer hooked to the 100 last fall...maybe had a drivetrain sitting in the 416. I bought my first chain saw last year which is a Husqvarna rancher 455 with a 20'' bar. Its the non auto tune model and I love it. cut probably 6 trees up with it last year alone and still on the first chain. I've always wanted a fireplace just so I could chop wood so I installed a wood burning insert last year and its been great stress relief.

20150524_180422.jpg
20150222_151144.jpg
20150504_123335.jpg
20150504_123314.jpg
20150214_151511.jpg

Last edited:
WP_20140920_001.jpg
Some color from my place that I'm building a new cabin on. Love aspens as well.
WP_20140921_005.jpg

My pile split last Sunday.

About a cord. Saves me about a tank of oil a Winter.

how do you guys with the open faced fire places get them to throw the heat out into the room instead of loosing it all out the chimney? i have lined mine with cast iron plates and it improved it a little but its got nothing on my old slow combustion heater

how do you guys with the open faced fire places get them to throw the heat out into the room instead of loosing it all out the chimney? i have lined mine with cast iron plates and it improved it a little but its got nothing on my old slow combustion heater

That is a complicated subject, but this book will sort it all out. If you weren't in Straya, I would loan you mine. Basically a shallow and tall firebox with a smoke shelf. Been reading up for when I have someone build mine.

51EGawCCKHL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Here is the basic design of the Rumford design...Lots of heat and no smoke coming back into the building.

clip_image001.gif

So.... I have acquired THE tool for firewood work.

A track loader! Being able to drive it to any spot on the mountain I please, load the bucket with wood, and then dump it into my dump truck is incredible! Each bucketful is about 2 yards (well over a full size pickup bed)!

Loading the wood...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445040654.523469.jpg

Dumping it into Dot the dump truck...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445040691.873839.jpg

Here's what two buckets looks like in Dot's bed. She is a 10 ton truck.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1445040731.226873.jpg

Also, every load of wood that I hauled out I also skidded a log up for a friend of mine to mill.

Dan

What's left of the 12 cords I had delivered. Got a new guy after 16 years with an old timer. Guy who used to deliver the wood quite, so had to look for someone new. Wood is now where near as nice. Wasn't home when he dropped it off, and not happy. He told my wife it was aged for a year, so I started to bring it straight into the basement to use. Normally, I let the wood dry for another year at my place, then I bring two cords at a time to also help dry if out just before I burn it. A week after bringing in his wood, I noticed lots of white mold growing on the ends. Luckily I still have about 10 cords left from last year that is dry.
image.jpeg

But this makes it all worth it.
image.jpeg

Dogs love fireplaces. They can't wait for a fire.

I catch Cooper the Shih Tzu laying on the hot hearth and I have to drag him away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom