What's your thoughts on the condition of this part (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You might have seen my other post on the timing assembly on my 1970 fj40. The oil slinger came apart. So I have been cleaning and inspecting parts. This is the timing cover with the seal removed.

Do you see the metal craking in the center? There should not be any kind of pressure on that spot. So is it just a old worn out peace? Are am I looking for a different cause? And do you think its OK to reuse this part? Thanks

I am not sure what causes the cracking in the metal, both on the slinger and the cover. The cover looks like the seal may have been pressed in or maybe pounded in a little off center, causing some deformation. I also think these are made pretty primitively, so it may not be far off the normal condition. Do you know if the slinger is supposed to be held tight in position by being sandwiched between the crank surface and the main pulley when it is torqued down tight? Perhaps the pulley wasn't completely tight and left enough play for the singer to rattle around. If it was my engine, I would look for another timing cover. Hopefully, someone here has the answer for you.

Jim

Australian mine trucks are like this with everything Fuc... it's hard to believe that guys can destroy a $60.000 dollar truck in a couple years. Would you know the history of the engine as it looks like it's been in a mine or somehow suffered metal fatigue. Strange

do what you want but small pieces could fall off and get into the pan ,probably already some in there .you might want to check the pan and the oil for metal shavings just to be sure

Hi CD,

By the look of the back of the slinger the HB was loose. The cracks probably started from the key way slot in the slinger and progressed from there. The HB may have been over tightened in the past and squeezed the slinger a little thin where it is held between the HB snub and the crank.
No big deal replace the slinger pick out the loose pieces on the cover. The cover has a screw that kind of acts like pump to push oil back into the cover housing from behind the seal. The screw at the leading edge in the cover is very thin and the material is pot metal or something like that with out much strength.
I think you can still get the cover new so that may be worth a try if you think you must replace the cover. I would just clean up the loose cracked pieces of the screw type labyrinth seal also known as labyrinth pumps and send it back to work for another 45 years.

Thanks jb

I have a 67k mile 1971 f motor I'm planning to scrap. If you want, I can pop off the timing cover and ship it to you.

I have a 67k mile 1971 f motor I'm planning to scrap. If you want, I can pop off the timing cover and ship it to you.
Hay GRM that is a very generous offer. I have a oil slinger on its way I might be interested in the cover. Please don't go out of your way but if you have the time to pull the parts I could use the cover .I all PM you and thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom