Builds 1987 fj60 12h-t h55f conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ground strap and connection in 60 harness for tach pickup
All I have left at this point is finish up the exhaust and flush the coolant before I hook the heaters back up.
20150628_213235.jpg
20150628_213324.jpg
20150628_213328.jpg

Last edited:
Ok now I need too chime in.
Great job by the way on your progress of your rig.
What parts does it take to convert from R12 to R134?
Thanks! Well I've converted vehicles before just by recovering the r12 and installing r134 service port adapters. It is best to at least replace the dryer. On mine I replaced the compressor,condensor, dryer,and all the hoses. I also flushed the evaporator core with duraflush ac flush solvent using a flush gun. I flushed it in the high side and it came out the low side I don't think it would be a good idea to flush it the other way. Anyway that got remainder of the old oil out. I filled the new compressor with about 6.5-7 ounces of nippondenso nd8 oil.

I've had a bit of a nagging these last few days that I had to trim the fan shroud for the lower outlet on the hj60 radiator. Also the fan isn't perfectly centered in the fj60 fan shroud and the shroud itself could be deeper (so the fan is actually inside the shroud and not behind it) soo i'm searching for an hj60 fan shroud. They are deeper and slightly offset to the left side of the truck to perfectly center the fan.

Also my junkyard vsv seems to be leaking vacuum to the shutter and causing an inadvertent shut down so I unplugged the shutter diaphragm and have been stalling the engine these last couple of days. Fortunately the vsv had a part number on it and I ordered a replacement yesterday which I should have in my grubby hands this afternoon :)

Oh I forgot to post this earlier but, the fj62 i parted out had a factory hand throttle installed so it's now in my 60. The dash already had the provision for it as well as the accelerator pedal.

I would also like to find a glow lens from an hj60 to go in place of the choke lens. I would just wire it to my manual glow button so it would illuminate when the button is pressed.
20150630_090006.jpg
20150630_090015.jpg

I would also like to find a glow lens from an hj60 to go in place of the choke lens. I would just wire it to my manual glow button so it would illuminate when the button is pressed.

Don't limit yourself to looking for HJ-60 parts for that. The BJ-60 has it as well.

Dan

Super progress and very clean work.

Did you drill into the bell housing for the tach pickup sensor?

Thank you sir!
Nope this bellhousing was from a Canadian hj60 so it already had a pickup installed albeit the wires were torn off at the pickup. I guess I might add that I used the pickup I had left over from a 3b swap I installed in my 40 a couple of years ago so its good to know they are interchangeable.

You just saved me $100 man! I was under the impression that you had to have a 12V diesel tach to hook it up. Changing the bulb will be a lot cheaper

That's a sweet exhaust!

Flushed the cooling system last night and hooked the heaters up. Here is how the hoses are routed for reference I had some trouble finding a diagram. The coolant was actually pretty clean to my pleasant surprise. Before draining the radiator and block I ran two bottles of bg products coolant flush through it at operating temp for 45 min or so. Also installed the radiator skid plate that I powder coated and new hardware.
20150701_204901.jpg
20150701_201918.jpg
20150701_200841.jpg
20150701_202018.jpg
20150701_201943.jpg

I've been having trouble with my driver window rattling and coming down on its own going over bumps the old regulator was worn out and the front run channel had fallen into the door. The inner welt on the top of the door panel was also all but gone.

I've had these parts for a while and figured it was time to install them. Both new run channels, regulator, inside weatherstrip/welt, and new crank all from Mr T.

20150702_180630.jpg
20150702_180643.jpg
20150702_180651.jpg

You can see where the old regulator was worn. I had to help the window up and down each time which was pretty annoying

20150702_181426.jpg

Old parts

20150702_181444.jpg

Last edited:
Well the diesel swap portion of this thread is more or less come to an end (Im still going to source a diesel fan shroud and glow indicator for the dash) so like all my other projects my work is not concluded until a proper test drive has been successfully completed. I fueled her up last night and filled the back up with tools, extra coolant, oil, and gear lube, as well as a spare starter and oil hoses for the alternator, belts and some spare heater hoses and clamps. Im packing my camping gear today at lunch and plan to hit the road at 3am Saturday morning. Nothing I enjoy more than a road trip seeing some pretty country and the smell of diesel fuel. Ive always driven my fj40 before on my trips so air conditioning and a working radio will be nice although only one speaker works :( I ordered a third eye blind cd so hopefully it gets delivered today so i'll have some nice tunes to listen to for at least a small portion of the drive.

Im headed north by north west this time around with my passport in the console and a very pretty girl to pick up at the airport in Calgary on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom