3rd Gen 4Runner or 1st gen Tundra for first car (1 Viewer)

4Runner or Tundra?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am almost 15 and am looking for a first car. My dad has a Tundra I could buy off him that has 130,000 miles. I think it is an excellent truck and I know he has taken good care off it. I have a lawn mowing business and I think the Tundra would be great for that reason. But on the other hand, I think a 4runner would get better gas mileage and I could get a manual which I REALLY would like to have and get the rear locker that I might like because I would like to do some moderate off roading. I have to buy either car with my own money. Any suggestions? Thanks

Do you have a 4runner in mind or are you just thinking you can find one with a. Locker that's a manual for a good deal on Craigslist?

Do you have a 4runner in mind or are you just thinking you can find one with a. Locker that's a manual for a good deal on Craigslist?

I have found a few online in the past few months with Lockers and a Manual for around $6500 to $7500 but they go fast. One that I really liked was a Highlander Edition with lockers and a manual with 146k for $7400 but it sold before I could go look at it. But that is now kind of my base mark because I do not need to buy one right now.

Go tundra I had a lawn mowing business in highschool and pulled trailers with my 91 Toyota pickup. got a wreck if I was in a full size I could have avoided it. It was to light for the load. Even though it's rated for it doesn't make it safe. got it fixed and sold it for a full size. Plus you need a bed for workin.

The bed would be more utilitarian. Plus it's family owned and the history is known. Used vehicles online or any other way can be a crap shoot.

The tundra would be your best bet, knowing the history of a vehicle is a rare thing, but it sounds like you want the look, lockers, and drive train of a 4runner, but need the bed of a tundra... have you looked at 1st gen Tacoma? 98-00 look like a 3rd gen 4runner.

Sounds like you need a open bed not a closed in one I say tundra or Tacoma would be your best bet ....what is your equipment you have I've done a lot with my 96 4runner like I would like a pick up but you may use a rideng mower and not a push ...1 st gen Tacoma's are 4runners with a bed and rear leaf springs with little other things and if you get a Tacoma you can get a bed cover you take on and off when you need then you have both a 4runner and Tacoma ...tundra may be too big and heavy for the trails thou....details on what you haul....

Sounds like you need a open bed not a closed in one I say tundra or Tacoma would be your best bet ....what is your equipment you have I've done a lot with my 96 4runner like I would like a pick up but you may use a rideng mower and not a push ...1 st gen Tacoma's are 4runners with a bed and rear leaf springs with little other things and if you get a Tacoma you can get a bed cover you take on and off when you need then you have both a 4runner and Tacoma ...tundra may be too big and heavy for the trails thou....details on what you haul....

I do have a riding lawn mower.... However I will need to use a trailer because the deck is to wide even for the tundra. And I do not think taking the deck every time makes sense. Other then that I will have to bring like a weedwacker and a push mower. Thank you!

Here is what I will probably have to do every time

Screenshot_2015-07-03-08-51-45.png

Alright up to now its what you like better I'm just going to say I love my 4runner and it has over 310,000 miles on it and still strong.

The Tundra may be your best bet, you know the history and know it will be a good truck. Buying a used vehicle is always a bit of a crap shoot. However, if you know you really want a 4Runner and you have the time to find the right one for the right price... Anyway, good luck!

Go tundra I had a lawn mowing business in highschool and pulled trailers with my 91 Toyota pickup. got a wreck if I was in a full size I could have avoided it. It was to light for the load. Even though it's rated for it doesn't make it safe. got it fixed and sold it for a full size. Plus you need a bed for workin.

A '91 will have a tow rating of 3500lb. A third Gen 4Runner with the bigger motor and brakes has a 5000lb rating (and you can put the Tundra brakes on it for even more stopping power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom