Tips and guidance from a certified 4wd Instructor. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The best thing is a set of factory mounts. I would not hook to the tubes at all.

So if I don't have the factory recovery points with my ARB, where is the best course of action to pull me out of the mud? Is a sling on the bumper tubes safe?
Do you have the winch mount version ? I do not have ARB bumper here right now but an Ironman bumper is sitting here so I will look at it later and tell you the way I would recommend to hook up a chain or a strap to it for a safe recovery.

I do have a winch. But what do I bring the hook back to when I'm using a snatch block? Or if my winch quits and I need to be snatched out. I'm not too worried, about it, I could easily figure something out...just seeing what your thoughts were.

Is this what you are talking about? The lower mount?
2015-06-14 11.42.09.jpg 2015-06-14 11.42.30.jpg

In terms of safety and/or recovery ability, what are your thoughts, as certified instructors, on the electric vs hydraulic winch debate? Is one preferred over another for some reason or are they more or less equivalent?

Thank you for taking the time to write this thread. I am definitely interested in taking a 4wd class and will look into some dates.

When is a winch preferred over a recovery strap or vice versa? Any recommendations on recovery straps and winch extension lines?

In terms of safety and/or recovery ability, what are your thoughts, as certified instructors, on the electric vs hydraulic winch debate? Is one preferred over another for some reason or are they more or less equivalent?
Not really much to debate as far as an instructor point of view. Pro's and Con's to both. Both have their places. For a self recovery and the truck is rolled over then it can not run for the hydraulic to work. Then it would be great for electric.

My personal choice would be electric.

Thank you for taking the time to write this thread. I am definitely interested in taking a 4wd class and will look into some dates.

When is a winch preferred over a recovery strap or vice versa? Any recommendations on recovery straps and winch extension lines?
A winch is always a preferred choice. You can do a static recovery with it. You can self recover with your own winch most of the time. With just a strap it is almost impossible to self recover unless you have a high lift, then it is easy. Just takes a lot longer.

We have a good company that is here on Mud to support and that is Southeast Overland. They posted in this thread earlier on.

I do have a winch. But what do I bring the hook back to when I'm using a snatch block? Or if my winch quits and I need to be snatched out. I'm not too worried, about it, I could easily figure something out...just seeing what your thoughts were.
Let me get back with you on that. I need to look at a bumper to see a safe way. Without looking at a bumper right now I would recommend to spread out the load with a again / rope to a two places to make it where safer.

Let me get back with you with a solid answer though and with a picture or two.

Another question:

Which is more better in various stuck situations: snatch strap from another vehicle, or winch?

I would say A winch is always better. It is considered a static recovery. Snatch strap means you have to have someone in front of you or behind you, where with a winch you can always direct the winch cable how you need to be pulled out. Too many variables to start considering a snatch strap. I try to never use one myself. For the life of me right now ( hot as heck here the last few days ) i can not think of the type of strap i would use to pull me out. Kinetic strap now that i think about it. It holds energy and can stretch and is less likely to break.

A lot of times though the situation will dictate the type of recovery to be done. Bullets flying over my head and i am snatching, no bullets and can slowly do it i will try to rig a winch every time if i have one available.

Kinetic strap now that i think about it. It holds energy and can stretch and is less likely to break.

A kinetic strap should cause less breakage of the towing and towed vehicles as well.

Something I need to put out for some of us old fogies.

The stuff we use for recovery has come leaps and bounds in the last 5-10 years or so. All for it to be safer for us.

I will try tonight to post about shackles and what to look for / best to use.

Really appreciate the time and efforts sharing your knowledge. It may literally save someone's life if they follow the sound theories you been taught, and are sharing with us.

Many things are capable of going wrong, so those wishing to learn the safe practices will lessen their chances of things going south during all phases, start to finish.

Looking forward to more ...thanks again.

I was stuck in 3' of water/mud and we tried our bubbarope to pull me forward, but I didn't move at all. A winch hooked to my rear recovery point pulled me out no problem.

Sometimes moving forward is not the easiest of things to do. You might have pushed a bunch of stuff in front of your tires where it was not possible without a winch to go forward. Even a winch might of had a problem with that scenario.

This is why wheeling I try to put a winch vehicle between trucks without them.

@krzyabncanuck I just read that applications are open for instructors at this year's overland expo east. You going to be teaching at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom