Retinting front windows and will have extra Viper Ceramic 30% (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, smoke aftermarket tint on the front is darker with little to no reflectivity compared to the rear factory tint's reflectivity. You definitely can see a huge difference when 30% smoke colored aftermarket tint with no reflectivity and factory tinted back windows are side by side on your vehicle from the outside, just like the photo. From the inside of the vehicle you see tinted windows if the % is close. That's why I had to replace mine, it looked like the picture above and I'm OCD enough; I couldn't take it and I felt like it stuck out in the parking lot being mismatched like that.

I am curious if the rear windows with reflectivity was on all models 98 - 07 or did it start at a certain year?

I'm not sure all the years that they did it. I think now since people use smoke tint most of the manufacturers use a factory smoke color if they tint the glass to match current preferences.

Also wanted to update everyone on the shipping. Walmart didn't have tubes large enough for the tint so I ordered the shipping tubes from Staples. The expected delivery to me is next week.

For everyone that has sent money, I haven't fallen off the map, I'm waiting on the shipping tubes from Staples. I needed ones larger than the 40" and the only ones I could find in any store (Staples, Walmart, etc...) were 36". I ordered them from Staples expecting them to be delivered to the store already and there haven't yet. As soon as I get them there in the mail.

Ok don't buy from Staples if you in a hurry. I'm going into the store for the tubes tomorrow.

I have to verify if the LX uses the same tint, if so, I will pick some up from you.

Do you have any left for the front two windows? Ready to order. A little warm down here in NC.

Yes I have plenty, had a problem with Staples because I wanted the 48" tubes to make sure everything shipped safely but had to wait on them to send me the tubes, but everything tint and tubes are ready for shipping now. I've had two orders waiting patiently and their stuff will go in the mail tomorrow morning, had a few issues to take care of yesterday so I have plenty left. As far as if it will match the LX, I can send a sample patch to you if you want to put it on you window to check.

Tint shipped and away, for those who have ordered. Tracking numbers are posted.

Danny N. did the math and her is how the tint will be cut from the sheet.

img_3153-jpg.1051584

For anyone who wants to know if the tint will match their windows I found this on SLEE

Exterior

• The color of the windshield and front door glass has been changed from bronze to green.
  • The privacy glass for the rear door, rear door quarter, quarter, and back door has been changed to dark-gray tempered glass.

So the dark smoke tint will match the 2004 according to Slee.

For those about to get their tint installed... I had bubbles in mine for about three months. They finally all went away. My mom's, the tech pressed a lot more water out the second time.

Mine wasn't too bad, it had bubbles after they installed the tint but since its been so warm here lately it took about 3 weeks for the last one to disappear.

ScottyD - ready to order, what's your PP

Thanks !

The tints are not the same for all years... 2004 was the change... right?
My fronts were done on my '06, using 3M smoked

IMG_7944.jpg

Here's what smoked tint looks like on a land cruiser
IMG_20110608_180707.jpg

I'm in the process of re-tinting my front, two windows. I believe my LC had this on it when I transferred it from Indianapolis because whatever I had matched. When the sheriff's department in KY inspected my LC they told me that my tint on the front two windows was below the 30% limit (29.7 or something) so I had to cut it off with a razor blade.

I am in KY, and been thinking to tint my front two windows, but I dont want to attract cop's attention. So will this Viper Ceramic pass inspection in KY? Was your previous tint darker than this one?

Thanks
Chris

KY is 35% for the front side windows. That said... From my experience, LEOs have better things to do. I've had 32-35% on my cars for the past 12 years in Atlanta (32% is the min.) and I've yet to be pulled for the tint. I've had cops mention it - if pulled for other reasons, but no tickets.

I think the tint law is used two ways...
- An "add-on" to more serious tickets
- A reason to stop you - if you're doing something to attract interest, e.g. 2:am near the bars, etc.

KY is 35% for the front side windows. That said... From my experience, LEOs have better things to do. I've had 32-35% on my cars for the past 12 years in Atlanta (32% is the min.) and I've yet to be pulled for the tint. I've had cops mention it - if pulled for other reasons, but no tickets.

I think the tint law is used two ways...
- An "add-on" to more serious tickets
- A reason to stop you - if you're doing something to attract interest, e.g. 2:am near the bars, etc.

I've never been pulled over for tint here in KY, or in any other state and I have 20% on my car, but when your changing titles from 1 state to the other I had to go to the Sheriff's Dept. to get the vehicle inspected and that is when they checked it and had me cut it off the windows to title it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom