Front Runner Load Bar Kit for GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody out there tried the Front Runner Load Bar Kit for the GX470?
http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...ront-runner-1200mm-load-bars-lexus-gx470.html

I may be ordering soon to replace the factory rack. I would like a full roof rack but mostly carry canoes and lumber so two solid bars should do. I looked in to Rhino Rack but a 71" cross bar was the largest they had. I need a little more than that to haul two canoes. I have use yakima in the past but don't like to haul lumber (just short distance between store and my house) on the round bars and the bare bars are slippery and don't hold a load well. I can easily attach 2x4s to make the front runner wide enough to haul two canoes. I used 2x4s with a bracket to attach to the gutters on my 80 for many years. I like the rail to adjust distance between bars too.

Once in hand I will try to make an extension bar to widen the load bars like these.
http://store.springcreek.com/Vehicl...ction-Cup-rack-with-Loading-Bars-p1491.html
Or I may just get the Spring Creek as they would fit the Front Runner mount. They run $140 a bar though so the cost starts to get high.

I have the Front Runner load bars on my 80 and like it. The bars are wide and the eyehook tie down channel system works well. I've loaded a canoe, lumber, even a door and secured it with ratchet straps. I'm thinking about getting them for the GX as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I plan to order mine in the next month or so. It is paddling season soon. I will post a picture once they are installed.

Decided to go with the Spring Creek cross bars, use the suction cup bracket (minus suction cups), and bolt in to existing points on roof. Anyone have a link to part numbers to cap the holes I will leave in the middle. Only using the front and rear points. Looks like I can modify them to work but won't know until I try.

Installed roof rack from Spring Creek. Modified the suction cup mounts and bolted in to roof rack attachment points. I may tinker with it a little more but really happy with how it came out. These bars are extremely solid and extend to fit multiple canoes and what have you. Still need to order parts to cover the middle mounting point I am not using so part of old roof rack still there to keep water out.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of how it turned out. I may make some adjustments still but this is basically it. Did have a some wind noise from 20 mph to 45 mph but could only hear with the radio off, which is a rare occurance in my car. The bars extend out to 20" on each side in 2" increments.

IMG_20150419_210619739.jpg IMG_20150419_210658921.jpg IMG_20150419_211010840.jpg

That's pretty slick looking. Has it worked out well? I was going to add a RTT, awning, and annex. thinking that those slide out bars would be perfect for that, do they lock in at any length?

What's the distance between the roof and just under the load bar extension piece? (thinking about mounting my annex and awning roll-up under it)

How did you cap the center holes?

thanks!

Thanks, like it so far. Great for what I got them for, hauling canoes and long boards. They are very sturdy. I am looking in to options to add rails and a different mounting system so I can slide the bars and take them off easy when I want too.

The bar extensions lock about every couple inches. Right now center bar holes still have part of original roof rack to keep holes water tight.

I am out of town this week without my Swank Tank but the distance is pretty tight to the roof. The bars are not perfectly level with each other due to contour of the roof. Another reason I am looking in to some other way of mounting them.

I bought the same and will be starting the install today. I already removed the factory rack. BTW, the center mounts can be removed and then have the bolts be screwed back in with their rubber washers...this looks to be water tight. How did you make the front and rear screw holes water tight? the rain channel indents at the point of the bolt, looks like a haven for water ;(

to even the racks out, I may try to shim the triangle mount itself.

Kumar

I picked up some flat rubber washers from Ace Hardware. Had to trim them a bit to fit in the channel. Don't recall the size. I took a bolt from the factor rack I re-used to the store with me to get a fit. I did not add silicone, just the rubber washers until the mount cleared the roof. Think I have about three thick washers per bolt. the compression seems to keep it water tight. Same concept as adding a weldless fitting to a brew kettle. You homebrewers know what I am talking about. I had to drill a new hole in the mounts which was not pretty because of the angle I had to take but it works and is hidden by the bolts.

Sorry for the late reply. There is only about an inch of clearance between the bars and roof front and back. The sunroof hits when tilted but I usually run it wide open when weather allows anyway.

I grabbed a sheet of plywood yesterday at the local lumber yard and had more than one person asked how I would get it home, do I need to rent the truck, etc... I tossed it up on my rack, strapped it down and headed home. Now that I own a Lexus I must not be able to do anything myself. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom