Rolling the dice on this fridge 63QQT $270 shipped (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my Edgestar slide-out design after having picked your brains about it a few pages ago.

This is what I built using some leftover aluminum and the help of my welder friend. It's a very simple, straightforward and light design that will hopefully last the life of the fridge.

IMG_20150511_211201.jpg 6147785083798592834.jpg

I used 36" TCHweb.com 250lb slides whose greatest merit is their ultra low cost (about $40 shipped). The frame material is 6061-T6 in mostly 1/8" thickness, which is really lightweight and after welding is not terribly weaker than mild steel (total weight is under 20lbs including the heavy slides). I judged this to be adequate to support the ~150lbs of a fully loaded 86qt Edgestar.

It mounts to the drivers side 3rd row seat anchors using 3 j-bolts. I made a riser cross-member at the rear that basically allows the fridge to sit level with the ground when it slides out. This also protects the tailgate upholstery from the fridge sliding in and out. It was needed because of the way the 100-series cargo area has a slight dip towards the rear.

IMG_20150511_171725566.jpg IMG_20150511_171718278.jpg

There are two holes on each end of the slide-out tray to receive tiedown hooks. I'm trying to source some short tiedowns - anyone have any ideas?

6147785072558269778.jpg

For tie downs, you can just run ratchet straps and cutoff the excess. They are easier to cinch if the strap is really short on the ratchet side. Or you can try to find some straps short enough with a cam buckle... There are lots of custom tiedown websites.

Here is the finished slide, ignore the bungees. Initial impressions:

1. At full extension the slide has some side to side play but hopefully that shouldn't affect it too much. It feels solid otherwise, likely not "sit on it" solid but good enough for normal use.
2. It takes up a s*** Load of space - Its probably big enough to support a two-week trip for a family of 4 without stocking up!! Time to think about a roof-rack....
3. The 3 J-bolt holding it down are fairly adequate but I'm planning to add a fourth at the point where the 3rd row seat latches. This will make it even more solid.
4. It desperately needs a way to lock it closed, I think a simple spring loaded pin mounted to the outside bracket should do the trick.

I'd appreciate any suggestions for improvement!

upload_2015-7-2_11-21-47.png

upload_2015-7-2_11-22-18.png

Nice slide. I did a very similar base out of 3" angle and 2.5" flat. I didn't check if it will scrape the tailgate with the fridge mounted, but I'll steal your riser idea if it does.

Just got it back from galvanizing and need to put it back together and bolt it up. I plan to use the third row seat anchor bolts to secure mine. I used 500lb Ryadon 30" locking slides (about half the price of accuride). A spring latch should work for you @whitenoise
image.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, you went all out this time, huh @TXLX100 ? :) Nice fab work, looks really sturdy. What is a spring latch? Got a link..?

At second look, doesn't look like you have room for a spring latch. You'd have to have a little recess on the front between the slide base and the fridge base to make that work.

You could try something like this....

image.jpg

http://www.protex.com/8903-1069SS-c...eper-and-safety-catch-stainless-steel-natural

I flipped flopped between building and buying a slide. Front runner was the cheapest at $330. In the end, I wanted a custom fit in order to use my third row seat, and bolt to existing holes in the vehicle. Think I'll be in about $250, but would have been about $160 if I made the fridge base out of angle instead of a custom pan.

Thanks for the tip on the latch, that might work for me. For me buying a slide wasn't even a consideration. Like many other things in the overlanding world, they are overpriced for something that could be fabbed up very simply. I made mine for probably under $50 but of course I had the advantage of rummaging through a massive pile of scrap aircraft-grade aluminum :)

Ive been checking almost daily for a 63qt fridge, but havent seen any lately:(

Nice slide. I did a very similar base out of 3" angle and 2.5" flat. I didn't check if it will scrape the tailgate with the fridge mounted, but I'll steal your riser idea if it does.

Just got it back from galvanizing and need to put it back together and bolt it up. I plan to use the third row seat anchor bolts to secure mine. I used 500lb Ryadon 30" locking slides (about half the price of accuride). A spring latch should work for you @whitenoise View attachment 1101217
Nice! I was going to post pics of mine but yours puts it to shame! BUT, I only have about $105 in mine. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Nice! I was going to post pics of mine but yours puts it to shame! BUT, I only have about $105 in mine. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

It's basically the same as yours but will mount to the third row bolts. You get extra points for getting things done in a timely manner:flipoff2:

and its gone:(
i want the 63qt.

glad a mud member got it!!!

I guess my last post was deleted. received the 43 qt from openboxdirect and there are two almost imperceptible dents on the lid and the latch was re-drilled and moved. for 250$ + free shipping (did get hit with tax as I am in TX) it seems to be working properly. it did take a second to figure out how to set the temp and have been monitoring it for an hour now. it cycles and holds temp. the power supply fan does run constantly and is supposed to according to the manual I downloaded. here are the pics out of the box.

DSCN0426.JPG DSCN0427.JPG DSCN0428.JPG DSCN0429.JPG DSCN0430.JPG

so i'm impressed. I received the unit in a few days from purchase. it is barley scratched or dented so I believe I got a deal. i'll post back with a longer term review when time permits

^Nice. I'm sure you know or will find out quickly the 12v plug is junk. I'd highly recommend hardwiring it to the vehicle or research plug options other than cigarette style (hella, Anderson, etc).

^Nice. I'm sure you know or will find out quickly the 12v plug is junk. I'd highly recommend hardwiring it to the vehicle or research plug options other than cigarette style (hella, Anderson, etc).

Already in the works. I'm bringing a #6 from the constant (new) fuse block in my Scout to the 7 pin I installed, so I'll tap off of the terminal block that marshals the wiring in the back to add in a good plug and wiring to suit. I've been through the improvement thread so already plotting. I am impressed with the quality of the scratch and dent. Now I can order the portable ice maker. Good to know they are not selling junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom