TLCA Official 27th Rubithon Thread, June 23-28th, 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The first section of Cadillac was noticeably smoother and less off camber compared to last year, but there was another section further up that was definitely still scary! I think that is where a few people picked up some body damage....I'm guessing your third member stayed attached to the rear axle on the way out?

Perfect weather, great people and good times had by all. Definitely another Rubithon to remember! Rick did an outstanding job leading the wagon run and everyone who helped with spotting kept us moving and our body panels intact. (thanks Andy, Tom, Alvaro, Brock, and others for spotting). The swimming at the springs was also pretty epic this year thanks to the warm temps.. I lost count of the number of times I went off the rope swing. Thank you to all that make this event what it is! Can't wait for next year.

Great to meet you Chris and it was nice to have faces on these mud call signs...

John...

Last edited:
Cadillac hill wasnt to scary at night.......

Thats because you cant see the drop off in the dark :D.

Great to meet you Chris and it was nice to have faces on these mud call signs...

John...

Great meeting you too. Our friends that came along took lots of photos so as soon as I get them I will post a few up. There are a couple of nice action shots of your 80 I will have to send to you.

Thats because you cant see the drop off in the dark :D.

Great meeting you too. Our friends that came along took lots of photos so as soon as I get them I will post a few up. There are a couple of nice action shots of your 80 I will have to send to you.

That's great! I did ask him to fix my wife's camera (that I borrowed) coz I pressed something and I messed it up. Lol.

You can send them to pilotuku@yahoo.com when you get a moment, no rush. I have a few shots of your rig before I messed up the camera and I will send them as well.

Thanks...

Last edited:

Its a Rock! Its a Bumper! ;)

That's funny Peter. Some rocks are too big even for an 80 series!

Great time/first time! Tim and I in the 45LV really enjoyed meeting new and old friends. Felt out of place not having the Scrambler there...
A big thanks to
Yes they have done a lot of trail maintenance. However, I think most would agree that the trail IS NOT easier to complete that in the past. The dirt gets lower and as a result the rocks get bigger to climb over or around. Many a dent were taken home in 2015.... :)
I agree that Cadillac seemed easier than last year. Also want to give big thanks to Comerson's group for amazing dedication to getting their entire group through. We sheared a center pin in my passenger rear spring. Sean and his group wouldn't leave until the spring was back together. I owe a C-clamp to Bob,(cherry 83 red pickup) took off before I could get it back to him. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him please let me know. GRRREEAATT Run!!!!

great rubithon, still nice to see the friends, this year i was spotting most of the time, inflate tyres with brake cleaner, walk like never, ....super sun, super sky, super rocks, super friends !

Please email me any pictures of Rubithon so I can include them on this page. Chairman@rubithon.com

I'm woring on the Rubithon article for Toyota Trails. If you would like to have some of your considered, please email them to me ASAP as the article has to submitted NLT July 15th. The resolution on Facebook is not high enough for the magazine.

Thanks again and glad everyone had a nice time!

Can someone help me with who won the Iron Butt and the Hard Luck award please :)

Robbie Antonson came from Colorado-I think he was the IB winner for driving your own vehicle.

The French Guys Guillaume and Sebastian came a long way as well, but it's hard to drive across the Atlantic.

Last edited:
I received the Farthest Travelled Award for coming over from germany, made it being around 200miles farther away than my french cruiserhead friends.

Guillaume and myself at the event
, usually we meet in europe. ;)

gui and me.jpg

Robbie Antonson came from Colorado-I think he was the IB winner for driving your own vehicle.

The French Guys Guillaume and Sebastian came a long way as well, but it's hard to drive across the Atlantic.
Yep, thanks sir!

Great Rubithon from my perspective. A week on the trail, minimal responsibilities, great to see old friends and make new ones.

A big shout out/thumbs up/props to Chairman Eric. The amount of time, effort, thought, and good humor he puts into this is amazing and appreciated by all.

My sentiments too. It was good to be back and see everyone again. :)

I think we are now all qualified to serve as character witnesses that Eric truly has the skillset to be a captain, demonstrating even-handed leadership skills under very stressful circumstances.:cool:

Really enjoyed my time hanging out with the Toys on The Rocks crew, catching up with pardion, Rat70 and son Brian, Gordon and the other Dave Thomas, along with meeting his son Kevin, Becky's husband and Jerry for the first time. We had four days and nights of good food, good music, lots of laughs and all those other things that make the drive in worth it.

:cheers:

Ok, so, my son Johnny (@JohnnyOshow22) and I were first timers on the wagon run in a diesel 60 and green 80, both on 33's and 2.5" lifts. I can't begin to describe how incredibly awesome this trip was for us!!! And incredibly hard compared to what we'd done previously!!! Thanks so much to Rick for leading it, Andy, Alvaro, Brock, Sebastian and Duncan (@Dunkane) (both from France) for spotting and being there when we needed it. So great to meet Peter (@FJ40-GARAGE) and Ula from Germany. Thanks also to the TLCA leadership for putting this on!!! (@Bad Coco) What an awesome event! During the first day my wife had real issues - a real breakdown - mostly I'm sure due to my driving - but by the end of the trip she was making a list of what to do better next year! This trip rocked!!!!!!!! It needs to be said that without the help of Georg Esterer (@orangefj45) at Valley Hybrids this would have never happened. I've been waiting to run the Rubicon for more than 30 years - many thanks, Georg!!! Lord willing I'll be back next year!!

Last edited:
Ok, so, my son Johnny (@JohnnyOshow22) and I were first timers on the wagon run in a diesel 60 and green 80, both on 33's and 2.5" lifts. I can't begin to describe how incredibly awesome this trip was for us!!! And incredibly hard compared to what we'd done previously!!! Thanks so much to Rick for leading it, Andy, Alvaro, Brock, Sebastian and Duncan (@Dunkane) (both from France) for spotting and being there when we needed it. So great to meet Peter (@FJ40-GARAGE) and Ula from Germany. Thanks also to the TLCA leadership for putting this on!!! (@Bad Coco) What an awesome event! During the first day my wife had real issues - a read breakdown - mostly I'm sure due to my driving - but by the end of the trip she was making a list of what to do better next year! This trip rocked!!!!!!!! It needs to be said that without the help of Georg Esterer (@orangefj45) at Valley Hybrids this would have never happened. I've been waiting to run the Rubicon for more than 30 years - many thanks, Georg!!! Lord willing I'll be back next year!!

Great. Please come back next year. Johnny is already good to go. The automatic transmission in the 80 makes up for a lack of gearing. It's much harder with a manual transmission, but a set of 4:1 T-case gears would change things a lot. For a DD, I can't recommend a SOA. It just makes the truck too big. If your truck becomes a "trip" truck, then a spring over rules on trails like Rubicon, less so in Moab. Low gearing is good everywhere. Steve-It was good to meet you and your family. See you next year if not before. PM incoming.

I received the Farthest Travelled Award for coming over from germany, made it being around 200miles farther away than my french cruiserhead friends.

Guillaume and myself at the event
, usually we meet in europe. ;)

Please email me a copy of this picture ASAP. The resolution via Mud isn't high enough for the magazine.

These photos are a little late but just got hold of them. Our friends that came along were able to take quite a few good "action" shots (thanks Marc!)

19189652164_865cb26d3e_b.jpg

19625639309_0d39f7068b_b.jpg

19191349123_3598f4efee_b.jpg

19624218628_3cbed7fbd3_b.jpg

19786048626_98d80cfabc_b.jpg

19624205478_68f0d757d2_b.jpg

19817035161_6ff4a2a4f5_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom