Builds Family haulin' (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome trick on the valve covers, a little late to the party but I found it was way easier and cheaper to machine the pedestals while attached to the head for a base. This means you only have to set up one piece in the mill vs multiple and usually the head is already off when your machining the pedestals. The set up time is usually where the higher cost comes into play.

Thanks for the insight.

Break-in seems to be going well. I'm on my phase 3 and am about half way through. I've got a few oil leaks that I think are mostly the pan gasket so I'll replace that after this phase. It's been a little warm in my area lately so I haven't been driving the rig on a daily basis but have a little trip planned this weekend where I hope to get some more miles on the clock. I'll check on the hazing smoking after this phase but it already seems cleaner.

Then it'll be back to tuning and prep for my Rubicon trip later this month. I've got an initial turbo lag that I want to see if I can tune out.

Dang.. I put Rotella T std. in my rig vs. the Delo 400 on my last change and immediately noticed more blow by and a distinct smell. It is on the bottom of the list for quality. I suppose 3k won't kill the motor. I've used Amsoil with good results but this article is pretty convincing. I will change my oil more based on time vs. miles on my diesel and it isn't worth the dumping high dollar synthetic out. Hmm.. It looks like I need to go shopping.

Sweet! I also run the Cummins blue in ALL my diesels and is still my favorite

Awesome build, I am in the early stages of my build and yours really points the direction. I am using a fj62 frame, stretching a fj40 body, and am going to put a diesel in. Great inspiration. Cheers, Mike

Thanks A10. Have you started a build thread?

i just binged read this whole thing...wow.
took me about 20 hours.

or about 7 teardowns and removals...of your pace.

so impressed with your wrenching skills, but the time you invest in these posts is such an awesome gift to the community here on 'mud.

Thanks Pablo, I appreciate the encouragement.

boots how was the trip to the Rubicon? i would of expected at least a few pics. haha. spent my weekend up there for cantina on the con and got really motivated to get my 60 done and trail worthy.

I need to write up something. I've got videos to break down into youtube sizes and some pics I can share. Just been focusing on house stuff at the moment but yes I need to get a few updates posted.

Here, how about this for starters. :D

Rubicon%252520004.JPG

Rubicon%252520021.JPG

Rubicon%252520109.JPG

Unfortunately, Boots was in the lead and my 10 year old photographer didn't get any action shots of him or his rig. Next time.

:beer:

Been focusing on the house lately but the trip down the Rubicon was great! I lead the group and we spent 3 days on the trail.

Met with the rest of the group and hit the trail on a Monday morning. It was a nice small group of Landcruisers and a jeep. My FJ60, a FJ40 with a straight 6-double locked-35s, a BJ42-turbo 3B diesel-33s-double locked, and a jeep with stuff. An hour into it on a set of shelves the BJ42 broke a rear axle bouncing. After a discussion of options the jeep took the driver into town to hunt for an axle and the other two set up camp at a convenient spot near the carnage. Thunderclouds rolled in and it was raining somewhere, just not on us. Through 2M radio we kept in contact the whole time (no cell service) and learned they found an axle and were headed back. The kids had a blast running up and down the granite slabs and it was easy to keep track of them. Those who stayed prepped the BJ42 rear end and once the others were back the truck was back together in an hour. Since we had already set up camp we decided to stay there for the night and hit it early the next day.

Day 2 was a push, our goal was to get to Rubicon Springs from pretty much the slabs. I had my steering assist clamp on my tie rod loosen up on me (quick fix) around buck island lake, the BJ42 lost a bead and swapped to a spare, the FJ40 had plenty of pucker factor, and the jeep lost a rear shock/shock mount. I was interested in checking out the little sluice but there were some jeeps parked at the entrance and after talking to them and them mentioning it took an hour to get their first guy through we decided to bypass it and leap frog this group. In the afternoon the Thunderclouds got thick and lightening danced across the sky and this time started raining on us. That made some of the obstacles a little bit more challenging and spotting a little more wet. It was nice and cooled off the temps and kept the dust down. Overall I'd say it was a comfortable trip considering it was at the end of July. We did make it to the springs on day 2 and got the coveted camping spot in the springs down by the water. We set up in the drizzle but the skies opened and the rain left for a dry evening. There we fixed the BJ42's tire (reseat the bead) and turned in early to be ready for the push out on Day 3.

We were worried about Day 3 because we heard there was a convoy of 20 jeeps and trailers coming in for support of the jeepers jamboree starting the day after so we wanted to start early to get passed Cadillac hill and up to observation point before we ran into them. The first part of Cadillac was easier than I remember and the second leg was harder than I remember but we kept a good pace and made it up to the point without seeing another soul on the trail. After pics, a pitstop and no convoy we got back on the trail for another hour. The BJ42 hit a rock in a puddle that let the air out a tire so that was swapped out and we continued on. We saw 5 jeeps/trailers before we hit the staging area so the convoy of 20 never materialized while we were on the trail. After road inspections I parted with the group to head back down to the valley to enjoy the rest of our vacation and pick up the middle child who got to go to Disneyland with his Grandparents. Overall a great trip and Dora did very well on the trail. I do have some traveling/highway updates I need to share but I'll get to those soon.

We picked up a new phone before the trip and thought we'd try it out for video. I have to say I was impressed, digital zoom isn't so good as expected but overall it's nice quality. I put the clips together and am getting them uploaded. Sounds gets funny sometimes as we were figuring out how to hold it and where the mic is.

Rubicon 2015 Part 1

Rubicon 2015 Part 2

Rubicon 2015 Part 3

Rubicon 2015 Part 4

Rubicon 2015 Part 5

Rubicon 2015 Part 6

Last edited:
Do you have lockers in your 60?

I have an air locker up front only. I was surprised how much of the trail I did unlocked but really like having the option.

Added part 3 and 4 videos to the above Rubicon report post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom