What is missing on this CDN M101? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Came across this for sale, but something doesn't look right on the tongue. Did they all come with a support? It also looks like the rear was cut to form a tailgate. Price seems high for what it is.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-remorque-uti...01/1082934398?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like the drop-leg is missing, but the mechanism is still there? It may have gotten trashed and they unbolted the leg and pitched it; there are only two bolts to take it off the locking mechanism IIRC.

The very rusty top rail is worrisome and it looks to have spread elsewhere. The tailgate is particularly problematic given the tub it was cut into is far from ideal. Whoever butchered it didn't even bother to shoot primer on the fresh wounds, leaving even more places for the rust to attack.

It's actually one of the poorest examples of a M101 CDN I've seen. Looks like the CF used it hard and then sold it to someone who kept flogging it in retirement. Looks to be ready for hospice care.:skull:

I thought the hand brake location was wrong. I was going to offer $400-500, but the ad is gone. Looks like someone already purchased it. There is another for sale in much better shape, but they wanted $1300!

Last edited:
I thought the hand brake location was wrong. I was going to offer $400-500, but the ad is gone. Looks like someone already purchased it. There is another for sale in much better shape, but they wasn't $1300!

Handbrake location appears correct to me, as that's where it's at on our M101.

$1300 for one in decent shape is not unreasonable. A few years back when the market was still recovering from these trailers being surplussed, prices were rather soft. I bought ours in '10 IIRC and got what I considered a heck of a deal -- $700. That was rather low for these even then. So $1300 looks like good value assuming it's in good shape. You could've spent the $800 difference on the trailer pictured above and still not had something in as good a condition as many others you might come across for sale.

That is a much better looking trailer. Little rust in the underside shot. I'd like to see what the top rail and bed look like. A tarp can cover a lot of issues, but my guess is this is a much better investment than the other.

At $400 + shipping, customs, whatever to the US, my $700 cost was very reasonable (bought secondhand from the original purchaser whose family was outgrowing the rig he had planned with it.) I think all the marketing here on MUD and other forums has added considerably to their value. Folks who actually hit the trails instinctively know the value of these trailers.

careful on that trailer. It has no lunette and good luck finding one.
I just paid 1500 in New Brunswick (Moncton) and then 200 for a tarp from south USA but they are available cheaper.
Looking at 300 to 400 for a set of 215/85R16 or 650-16 tires
They are no longer cheap but they certainly are nice. My wife loves ours and that is saying something!
One last thing on the 1350 trailer. It was 1200 in the mid winter. I looked for one of these for 2 years from Quebec to PEI and passed up a few, missed one and finally was driving on a new road and saw a guy with a couple. It took some convincing but he ended up selling one to me in the end.

Thanks for the heads up on the missing lunette. Very clever keeping it out of the pics. Yes, nothing much avail the last couple years. I just did a Canada wide search on kijiji, and there is a nicely modded one for sale out west for $2600.
I used to work in the section at DND that also manages their trailers. I remember them throwing all kinds of documentation in the trash. Are there any manuals avail on line?

Oh yeah, the manual is easy. You can find one in the files of the Yahoo M101 CDN group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/M101CDN/info

You'll likely need to join to see and download it. If that's a problem, drop me a PM and I can probably find a copy to send.

Also available there:
air-drop manual
Generic Specs & Drawing of the M101CDN
specifications-measurement
wiring
paint
hub and axle
parts drawings

Not all of these are official manuals, as some were developed by users in the Yahoo group, but plenty of documentation.

That missing lunette can be a PITA if you need one. However, I was under the impression it's a fairly stock part. The Part # is listed as 9190146-1, but there is a matching NSN (or whatever the US or NATO nomenclature is)
2540-21-908-4857
: https://www.nsncenter.co.uk/NSN/2540-21-908-4857

Not sure the cost, but you can get a quotation on that at that link or the next if all else fails: http://www.iso-parts.com/Public/Search_NSN_Details.aspx?NSN=2540-21-908-4857

I requested a quote from the last outfit and will advise if I get a price.

Last edited:
I was almost at the point of buying the one in Quebec with no lunette and then a second just for the missing pieces. Then convert the worse one to a ball hitch and sell it. Need more cash flow than I had to do it though.

I need to do a bunch of repairs to my truck now, so trying to convince the :princess: to spend $1500 on a used trailer is not going to happen. When I get back to work in Sept, I'll check with the guys to see if there are any copies of manuals left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom