cult45's 45 recovery and remobilisation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just having a think about this. 15's work cause sunnies are 15's. 16's work cause splitties are 16's. So surely a 16" one piece will clear a calliper if a 15" sunny does..?

I think the confusion occurs stateside where their one piece rims is 15" and the rivets don't clear callipers. Thoughts?

I was surprised that my set of 16" splits with clips clear my discs with 4 runner calipers (slightly bigger than oem???)up front. Also have a set of 15 inch rims with clips and they caught on the front calipers however I'm pretty sure they were welded into a 15x7 band and are surely not oem spec. Have got them getting re-banded onto a 15x8 at the moment.
Good luck with it!

I thought sunnies worked because they were (nearly) always wider than splits and had a negative offset.

offset.png 650725e9a49cb18ce7e51909df543296.jpg

When I tried I think the calliper rubbed on the back side of the rim centre, like it didn't have enough dish.

So this weekend I'll try again and hopefully like the weather it will clear and be all sunshine hehehe so I can use them on my 1972 rebuild

Could be right cat old son. I guess wheel see ;)

Tell me something - I only pulled one wheel bearing out per side of my front end, but the kit supplies me with two. What the?

Cult me mate, the inner (largest one in the kit) bearing will be hiding behind the dust seal in the hub.
You will have to sit the hub (brake side down) over some blocks so there's a space under it For the seal to drop out when you knock bearing out.

Righto, though I'm pretty sure I pulled every single part apart when I stripped it. It doesn't matter now anyway as I can't do my f**king swivel hubs for another fortnight. Gad damn!

So this accidentally happened x 2..
image.jpg

image.jpg

Just need a hook scale to set preload.

Steady on old son it's a tie rod end and it rooted.

Experienced a bit of burnout late last week so I took a few days off life and wandered. And that's where I ran into Graham and this lil beauty. I'd hoped he'd started his own thread by now, but I'll intro him and hopefully he kicks one off.

This truck was his grandfathers 45 bought new in 1962. Graham spent so many of his younger years behind the wheel up in Koah in FNQ that when his pop passed away recently his hand was the first in the air when the truck was offered to family. Lucky he did because it was destined for scrap. She's dead stock other than the floor shift but still retains the column assy. He hopes to resurrect it as a column shift truck.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've got more pics but I'll let Graham do the rest from here. It's his truck and his yarn. Another one saved!

Cat old mate it had a 2x4 hardwood tray on it so that's what'll return. It's got every piece on it from stock including all the rare stuff like the quarter window Bakelite knobs and the rear view mirror. Graham's never done a resto or even any major mechanical work prior to this but if there's one man who has the patience, the care and the love for this truck - he's it. It's a really dry rig, only got surface rust. He reckons he'll start a thread (already a member) and come here for help and to share.

Got me all gee'd up to finish my damn swivel hubs and swap engines!

Met Graham a couple of weeks ago when he came to collect the bullbar. He was telling me his grandfather treated the 45 as part of the family. Glad to hear its getting some love

Yeah he's all about it. A good candidate for a true restoration. Or something like that ;)

Slow to respond...sorry gents.

Cult, yes. That's over standard 40 disks.

Cat,
Not sure yet. I was originally considering adding the late model curved firewall brace but I'm also thinking about lowering the depth of the existing straight brace and making up a small spacer so the booster clears.
Have you got any ideas?

Cheers

Good info mate and thanks. There ya go cat, go the stock 40 discs and she'll be apples.

On a side note, who here has entertained the idea of an EFI V8 and an auto? Been doing some research for a future 45 build [80 series coils on 40 axles; 80 series power steer; EFI V8 and auto] and there's some debate about using a later engine with an electronic throttle cable or later auto with an electronic shift. There's a few options:

LS1/4L60E [both electronic heavy]
304 EFI/TH700 [manual stuff]
1/2UZ/A442F [if they're even available in Aus]

The early Holden donk is reliable as hell but is getting a bit long in the tooth, the LS1 version is all gadgetry and the Toyoda V8, well it's made to be in there. Kinda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom