Old School, Lost Arts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it is if there too much lye. lye and water = chemical burn. another way to obtain soap out in the "wild" is from yucca. the root and the long pointy leaves have a natural soap in them. the root is the best but it kills the entire plant but you can get alot of coordage tho'

Last I heard it was illegal to kill yucca but that was a long time ago.

Last I heard it was illegal to kill yucca but that was a long time ago.
And the gummit let's a novice cut down a 5000+ year old Bristlecone Pine to do weather research???? He AND the people who authorized it should have been strapped to a post in the same location for how however long----

And the gummit let's a novice cut down a 5000+ year old Bristlecone Pine to do weather research???? He AND the people who authorized it should have been strapped to a post in the same location for how however long----
Link?

it is if there too much lye. lye and water = chemical burn. another way to obtain soap out in the "wild" is from yucca. the root and the long pointy leaves have a natural soap in them. the root is the best but it kills the entire plant but you can get alot of coordage tho'

Found this:

I think he is talking about the Joshua Tree.
http://www.nps.gov/jotr/learn/nature/jtrees.htm
Not a Joshua--Bristlecone Pine--Oldest living organism on the Planet---(minus the Quaking Aspens--reputed to span 80,000 yrs))
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_longaeva---they live in the White Mtns of Ca., and in the Nevada Great basin(Wheeler Peak)--If my brother and I make it this year, we will be able to see one of these Matriarchs.---5000 years is a long time---
If you think this is just some old tree growing on some remote escarpment in the middle of nowhere--you are right.
Please read George Nakashima's "Soul Of A Tree" and you will come to understand the tree's significance. Something to be cherished- something to be preserved at all costs--He was a woodworker, and as such worked live edge tree boards--beautiful stuff, but when you consider the cost of losing these kinds of trees--not worth it at all.

Last edited:
Not a Joshua--Bristlecone Pine--Oldest living organism on the Planet---(minus the Quaking Aspens--reputed to span 80,000 yrs))
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_longaeva---they live in the White Mtns of Ca., and in the Nevada Great basin(Wheeler Peak)--If my brother and I make it this year, we will be able to see one of these Matriarchs.---5000 years is a long time---
If you think this is just some old tree growing on some remote escarpment in the middle of nowhere--you are right.
Please read George Nakashima's "Soul Of A Tree" and you will come to understand the tree's significance. Something to be cherished- something to be preserved at all costs--He was a woodworker, and as such worked live edge tree boards--beautiful stuff, but when you consider the cost of losing these kinds of trees--not worth it at all.
I'm pretty familiar with Bristlecone I've lived and hiked back the country in Nevada for over 40 years. I have camped in Bristlecone groves at 14,000'. This discussion is about making yucca soap, someone posted that it might be illegal to harvest yucca, probably true on public lands but not in general. I believe it is illegal to cut down a Joshua tree which is a variety of yucca.

In NM it's illegal to kill yucca on public land. Probably is in other states as well.

You don't have to kill the plant to make the soap based upon the video up ^ there.

Interesting to note the 'soap' also kills fish if you get enough in the water.

I'm in bishop right now and we went yesterday to the whites to see them.

Also, yes, the leaves of yucca can make soap but the root is what makes the best stuff and more of it...

I have not personally tried it, but according to YouTube videos I've watched, molasses and water makes a fine cast iron cleaner. Then remember to keep it good and greasy all the time. All the time...

I'm pretty familiar with Bristlecone I've lived and hiked back the country in Nevada for over 40 years. I have camped in Bristlecone groves at 14,000'. This discussion is about making yucca soap, someone posted that it might be illegal to harvest yucca, probably true on public lands but not in general. I believe it is illegal to cut down a Joshua tree which is a variety of yucca.
If it isn't - it should be.

did I miss where we talked about sewing and more specifically, sewing machines? kind of a lost art; for my generation and younger, that is...we should have threads to address each of these old "lost" arts...maybe Sggoat could do a sewing tutorial...just cause a guy might have an old machine, doesn't mean his mommy taught him how to use one...we could call it "reclaimed arts"...

did I miss where we talked about sewing and more specifically, sewing machines? kind of a lost art; for my generation and younger, that is...we should have threads to address each of these old "lost" arts...maybe Sggoat could do a sewing tutorial...just cause a guy might have an old machine, doesn't mean his mommy taught him how to use one...we could call it "reclaimed arts"...
I would like to do this if time permits, and there is any interest. I would need to elicit the help of my wife, tho'- she's an accomplished seamstress--me, I just sew my jeans back together, or restitch my work gloves. I restored her Mom's Singer to almost new-It's going to help me recover the Cruiser Seats in leather one day.

Machine Sewing tutorial;
Step one get a machine.
Step two read the instructions. Maybe buy a few books or watch a few youtube videos.
Step three practice.
Step four practice some more.

It's really that easy. The hardest part is getting the tension right so the loops are hidden in the fabric. Once you start that will make sense.

Actually the hardest part is making something without a pattern. When I made the canvas cover for my sons generator I started out with an old sheet, figured out what each piece should look like then allowed 1/2 inch for the seams. I cut it out and sewed it up. It looked like crap, but I knew just where to adjust things to make it work.

When I made the weather covers for the FJ40 seats I was using an old Harbor freight poly tarp. The first one looked like crap the second one wasn't half bad.
This is the first one, just a simple cover to keep the seats dry and the sun from destroying the fabric.

This is the second one still no work of art but it gets the job done.

This is a super easy first sewing project most of the work is already done; one leg cut from an old pair of jeans, a circle cut from the other leg and viola! A gear bag.

This one holds my shovel, saw and axe, plus a garbage bag.

I also made one to hold my Marlin 22 model 39 using a full leg, one to hold the regulator and hose for my CO2 tank, plus a few more for odds and ends.

Sewing.
I used to do the Mountain Man/Buckskinning thing and in researching that I found out what Natives actually used for thread. I'd always assumed it was some sort of plant fiber, yucca or the like. While such material was used, far more often was sinew or animal tendons used. Sinew makes incredibly strong thread that is very durable.

That being a PITA to get most often Buckskinners use "artificial sinew," coarse waxed nylon lacing. It can be used full size or split down to whatever size you need. It's very strong and durable and in pinch can even be used as dental floss. ;) I used to carry a roll around and maybe still do (you know how that is, right?) but if you do and you go where it's hot, carry it in a plastic bag as the wax can melt and make a mess.

Since sewing needles were a late introduction most often sewing was accomplished with an awl made of thorns, horns, native copper and later trade iron and steel. Natural sinew can be left "in the raw" wet and left to dry for a hard point to put through the holes. With care and patience the artificial variety can be heated and rolled to a point. A lot of patience.

Cheers.

Machine Sewing tutorial;
Step one get a machine.
Step two read the instructions. Maybe buy a few books or watch a few youtube videos.
Step three practice.
Step four practice some more.

It's really that easy. The hardest part is getting the tension right so the loops are hidden in the fabric. Once you start that will make sense.

Actually the hardest part is making something without a pattern. When I made the canvas cover for my sons generator I started out with an old sheet, figured out what each piece should look like then allowed 1/2 inch for the seams. I cut it out and sewed it up. It looked like crap, but I knew just where to adjust things to make it work.

When I made the weather covers for the FJ40 seats I was using an old Harbor freight poly tarp. The first one looked like crap the second one wasn't half bad.
This is the first one, just a simple cover to keep the seats dry and the sun from destroying the fabric.

This is the second one still no work of art but it gets the job done.
After talking with my wife, I found she said the same thing you did---she did say my needle was way too small for the jeans, tho'--"that's why it keeps binding/breaking plus you're pushing it way too hard--let the machine do it" Maybe I need to pay more attention to an expert!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom